Here’s a quick look at UM4GI events this week for September 2nd – September 9th, as well as this weekend’s preaching schedule!
This Week’s Events/Announcements
- Summer Office Hours are over. First-Faith UMC and Trinity UMC hours are back to 8 am – 5 pm Monday – Friday.
- This weekend is Rally Sunday! The first day of Sunday School for Trinity UMC will happen Sunday, September 7th at the 11:00 am CrossPoint service. Everyone is invited to stay after and celebrate in Miller Hall with a BBQ lunch from Dickey’s BBQ! RSVP REQUIRED by Wednesday, September 3rd at noon. For $7.50 you get a box lunch of brisket or pulled pork sandwich, chips and a cookie. Call or stop by the Trinity UMC office to make your reservation. You can pay ahead of time or on the 7th, checks payable to Trinity UMC.
- UM4GI will host a Cross-Racial/Cross-Cultural Workshop on Friday, September 5th starting at 2:30 pm with dinner served at 6:30 pm and continuing Saturday, September 6th from 9:00 am – noon. It will be at Trinity UMC. The workshop will focus on cross-cultural/cross-racial appointments and how to develop communication strategies with leaders. All UM4GI leaders are encourages to participate. It is free to attend, but you will have to register online here or you can call Trinity UMC office at 382-1952.
- UM4GI Small Groups and Studies start up this week! Check out below for a listing of the different groups offered and contact information!
- Name Tags are in! The name tags will be laid out alphabetically on a table in the Gathering Place at Trinity UMC. Please stop by the table and pick up your name tag before, after or during services this weekend. If you would like to leave your name tag here at the church, we have white magnetic boards (for magnetic ones) on the wall to the left outside of the Gollaher doors and in the narthex to the right of the sanctuary doors. If you have the pin variety, you can stick the pin into the bulletin boards that surround the magnetic board. Please call the Trinity church office if you have any questions.
- Road construction has begun in front of First-Faith UMC starting with Capital Ave. and Independence and moving towards Hwy 2. It may appear you are unable to get into the parking lot, but there is allowance. Be patient while driving during this time of construction.
- Stephen Ministry is sponsoring a wonderful 6 week class on Christian Caregiving – A Way of Life. This is a not a Stephen Ministry training class. The Christian Caregiving class will give hope and ideas that we can use in any of our caregiving situations; to our children, friends, parents or others. The class will be at Trinity UMC, Room C, on Wednesday evenings from 7:00 – 8:30 p.m. beginning September 17th and ending October 22nd. To register or for questions, please contact Marge Terman at 308-384-1353 or Kat Kluska at 308-384-8286. Please register as soon as possible, so we know how many books to order. The books will be free!
- UM4GI will be offering an in-depth eight-week study of Paul’s letter to the Romans beginning in late September. “Invitation to Romans” is part of the Disciple curriculum, but a short-term study that will completed before Thanksgiving. Exploring how people have interpreted Romans through the ages is a good lens to view the history of Christianity itself. This study is meaty and extremely enjoyable for those students with some familiarity of Romans and with a strong biblical foundation to rely on. Bette Pore will be leading the class, which will meet for 90 minutes each Tuesday afternoon at Trinity UMC. An orientation will be September 23rd, with the first class being September 30th. If you are interested in taking part in this class, call Bette at 383-7299 by September 7th so that books can be ordered.
- Trinity UMC is ordering name tags! The Evangelism Committee is encouraging everyone to order their own name tag. It will help everyone feel more comfortable calling our fellow attendees by name, and our ministers can get to know our names as well. This will especially be helpful as we get new pastors! Trinity would like each congregation member, children included, to have a name tag. Trinity will be providing them at no cost to you for the first one, you can choose magnetic or pin back and a place will be provided at the church to store your name tag if you wish. You can print off a form here or email your choice of magnetic back or pin back, and how you would like your name to read on your name tag to firstname.lastname@example.org. Make sure to include all family members!
- UM4GI’s Prayers Shawl ministry continues. If you would like to learn how to make a prayer shawl or make them with others, come to Trinity UMC Gathering Place on Thursday Nights at 6:30 p.m. Contact Linda Harris at 227-1286 for more information.
- Register to participate in First-Faith’s Dinner for Fun events to be held throughout 2014.
- Regular Wednesday Evening programming at Trinity UMC and First-Faith UMC (including youth groups, studies, musical groups, & more). See below for more detail!
Upcoming Events/Announcements and Other Opportunities
- First-Faith Lunch Bunch will be Wednesday, September 10th at noon at First-Faith UMC. Come share in a potluck meal with games to follow!
- First-Faith Sunday School Kick Off will be on Sunday, September 14th! There will be games and treats with church service at 9:30 a.m. Come and join them for the day!
- The Reading Challenge for Hassan will kick off September 14th and continue through October 26th. This fundraiser project is for all ages for UM4GI to raise funds for Hassan’s support. Gather pledges per books or pages read (you can even pledge yourself!) and keep track. Pick up a pledge sheet at either church office and start gathering your pledges!
- It’s that time of year again! Donations of your clean and gently used items for the Trinity UMW Fall Rummage Sale will be accepted September 15th – 17th from 8:00 am – 5:00 pm. Please use the NE doors to drop off your donations. Sale dates are set for September 18th 4:00 pm – 7:30 p.m., September 19th 9:00 am – 6:00 pm, and September 20th 8:00 am – 2:00 pm ($5 bags sale and 1/2 price bag sale). Please contact Penny Allen or Lorraine Ogg if you would like to volunteer – you don’t need to be UMW to help out!
- Prime Timers! Come share in games and dinner on Tuesday, September 16th 10:00 am in Trinity’s Miller Hall. Cost is $5, RSVP by Friday, September 12th.
- VIM Trip! The VIM (Volunteers in Mission) Team are planning a three day mission experience at Beaver Crossing on September 19th-21st, come and work with them all three days or any that will work for you. Please, let Pastor Karla (402-366-1366) by September 10th if you like to participate or call either church office. Be sure to mark your calendars for the next VIM trip to Beaver Crossing on October 17th-19th
- New location, new look! This year the CROP Walk for Hunger will be at Eagle Scout Park on September 28th at 1:00pm. We would like to have families and friends walking together so bring the kids! Look for the CROP Walk display and pick up a Donation Envelope for your group to collected pledges. But that’s not all – We want cheering sections, too! Non-walkers bring your lawn chairs (and sun hats) and support the walkers as they circle the lake. Everyone come out to a beautiful park, enjoy refreshments, and help End Hunger One Step at a Time. For more information, contact the church office or Ellen Haynes, #384-6494.
- Publications is currently updating addresses for those who live in skilled care or a nursing home. If you or a loved one lives in skilled care or a nursing home, please notify either UM4GI office of any address updates or changes.
- Funeral Lunch Dishes – If you have brought a dessert or salad for a funeral lunch, please come pick up your dishes in Trinity’s kitchen by the Gathering Place. Thank you!
- Trinity UMW is collecting “Box Tops for Education” and Campbell’s Labels. These labels are used to purchase educational items to support Epworth Village in York. These labels can be dropped off in the black box on the lower shelf of the UMW library corner in Trinity‘s parlor. If you are not sure which part of the label to save, drop off the entire label and it will be cut down appropriately. Thank you!
- Get involved in worship services with UM4GI!
- UM4GI shirts are available in a variety of sizes and also in polo styles!
- Donations are welcomed for Epworth Village’s Kruse House.
Studies & Groups – Start Back up This Week!
- Women of Faith Study: Discovering Joy in Your Creativity (You are made in the Image of a Creative God ) by Margaret Feinberg on Mondays at 5:30 p.m. at Sharon Sorensen’s House (1717 W. Charles) or call Sharon at 382-7543.
- Step Group: Mondays at 7:00 pm at First-Faith UMC. This is a closed group; please contact Pastor Matt if you are interested in this type of group.
- Disciple Bible Study “Invitation to Romans”: Led by Bette Pore (383-7299), orientation on September 23rd, classes start September 30th. Please contact Bette by September 7th.
- Sudanese AA Support Group: Tuesdays 7:00 pm in Trinity UMC‘s Tower Room. Contact Pastor Darren if you are interested in attending.
- Series on the Psalms Study: Wednesdays at 9:30 a.m. in Trinity’s Youth Room with Pastor Theresa.
- Women’s Study: Wednesdays at 1:30pm at First-Faith UMC‘s Fireside Room.
- Strong Women: Wednesdays at 3:30pm at First-Faith UMC.
- Mom’s Group: Wednesdays at 6:30 pm at Trinity UMC in the Parlor outside Gollaher Chapel.
- Zone: This fellowship group for all UM4GI children, grades 1st-5th, meets on Wednesdays from 6:30-7:30 p.m. at Trinity UMC in Room 7 and 8. The program includes large group time, dramas, praise and worship, and rotational activities such as snack and game stations each week.
- Middle School Youth Group: Wednesdays at 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm in Trinity UMC‘s Youth Room led by Pastor Matt.
- High School Group: Wednesdays at 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm in Trinity UMC’s Tower Room led by Brittany Hesman and Nicole Lucas.
- ReCHARGE: Wednesday evenings in Trinity UMC‘s Conference Room at 6:30 p.m. A group of young adults (18-40ish), meets for fellowship and discussion.
- Christian Caregiving – A Way of Life: A 6 week class starting on September 17th at 7:00 pm – 8:30 pm in Trinity’s Room C. Contact Marge Terman (384-1353) or Kat Kluska (384-8286).
- Chancel Choir at First-Faith UMC on Wednesdays at 7pm at First-Faith UMC.
- Chancel Choir at Trinity UMC on Wednesdays at 7pm in the Choir Room (downstairs).
- Handbell Choir at Trinity UMC on Wednesdays at 8pm (downstairs next to the Choir Room).
- Men’s Study on Fridays at 7:00am at Tommy’s Restaurant.
- Youth Group information can be found here.
- Check out UM4GI’s Confirmation Preparation options for the year.