Here’s a quick look at UM4GI events this week for August 5th – August 12th, as well as this weekend’s preaching schedule!
This Week’s Events/Announcements
- Come out and join us TONIGHT, Tuesday, August 5th from 6pm – 8pm at Trinity UMC for Neighborhood Night Out! Come out and enjoy the evening with UM4GI! United Methodist Men will be grilling up hot dogs and the Genesis Committee will have their homemade ice cream taste off! There will be live music, crafts, side walk chalk art, games, face painting, water balloon toss, bounce house for children, police car and fire truck, fun and fellowship!
- There is still time to sign up for Justice For Our Neighbor Training! The next volunteer training is Thursday, August 7th at 7:00 pm in Trinity UMC‘s Youth Room. Please call the church office at 382-1952 if you plan to attend.
- A youth basic lay servants course will be offered at the Wood River First UMC in Wood River, NE on August 8th and 9th. The event is for all youth who have completed conformation and are members of a local United Methodist Church. The cost for all the materials and meals is $25. Youth will be “roughing it” and staying at the Wood River UMC on Friday nights. If you have questions, please contact Rev. Philip Sloat at firstname.lastname@example.org or 308-383-2512.
- Church Directory Picture SIGN-UP will kick off this weekend! Look for individuals before, after and between services this weekend at both churches helping people sign up. Or, starting on Monday, August 11th, you can go to www.um4gi.org and click on the Picture Sign Up button to select your own time. Please note that only the first two weeks of times will be available until those time slots fill up and then the next weeks will open up. You can take your directory pictures at either church site, whichever site is most convenient for your family to get to! It will be FREE for your family to have their photo taken for the directory and each family photographed will receive a free 8 X 10 photo and free directory with no obligation for additional purchases. It is a great opportunity to help place names with faces, get to know people and celebrate ministry!
- Make sure to stop by the Lemonade Stand for Hassan on Sunday, August 10th between services at Trinity UMC and purchase some lemonade to benefit Hassan!
- Back to School! Join Trinity UMC‘s Sunday School in helping out the kids at Hope Harbor by donating school supplies – pencils, crayons, markers, pencil boxes, Kleenex, new/gently used backpacks, glue sticks, scissors, spiral notebooks, etc. There is a bulletin board in Trinity’s Gathering Place to take tags from. Please drop off donations by August 10th, if possible. Although we will collect items through August 31st. THANK YOU! In addition or in place of donating school supplies you can also help by sponsoring a child to help pay for their school pictures!
- Food Pantry Blitz is happening in August! UM4GI plans to help replenish the Food Pantry shelves throughout the month of August. Each week we are asking the UM4GI congregations to contribute a different type of food or household item (including baby items) based on the following schedule: August 9-10 – protein items such as canned meats, beans and peanut butter, August 16-17 – grains such as rice, pasta, oatmeal, and breakfast cereal, August 23-24 – diapers and paper goods such as paper towels, toilet paper and facial tissue. Please look for the food pantry boxes at First-Faith UMC and Trinity UMC and help us restock the shelves! If you have questions, call LeEllen Haynes or any UM4GI church office.
- Noah’s Ark is in need of Kleenexes. If you would like to donate some, please bring them to Trinity UMC.
- Trinity UMC is ordering name tags! The Evangelism Committee is encouraging everyone to order their own name tag. It will help everyone feel more comfortable calling our fellow attendees by name, and our ministers can get to know our names as well. This will especially be helpful as we get new pastors! Trinity would like each congregation member, children included, to have a name tag. Trinity will be providing them at no cost to you for the first one, you can choose magnetic or pin back and a place will be provided at the church to store your name tag if you wish. You can print off a form here or email your choice of magnetic back or pin back, and how you would like your name to read on your name tag to email@example.com. Make sure to include all family members!
- UM4GI’s Prayers Shawl ministry continues. If you would like to learn how to make a prayer shawl or make them with others, come to Trinity UMC Gathering Place on Thursday Nights at 6:30 p.m. Contact Linda Harris at 227-1286 for more information.
- Register to participate in First-Faith’s Dinner for Fun events to be held throughout 2014.
- Regular Wednesday Evening programming at Trinity UMC and First-Faith UMC (including youth groups, studies, musical groups, & more). See below for more detail!
Upcoming Events/Announcements and Other Opportunities
- First-Faith Quilters and Sewers will NOT be meeting on August 12th, they will resume on August 26th.
- Refresh! Free, quality childcare will be available at First-Faith UMC on August 13th from 9:00 – 11:30 a.m.. Parents can run errands or take a break to relax! Contact Sharon Sorensen at 382-7543 for more information.
- First-Faith Lunch Bunch will be Wednesday, August 13th at noon at First-Faith UMC. Join us for a potluck meal with games to follow!
- Prime Timers will be meeting Tuesday, August 19th at 9:30 a.m. at Tommy’s Restaurant – 1325 South Locust in Grand Island.
- Publications is currently updating addresses for those who live in skilled care or a nursing home. If you or a loved one lives in skilled care or a nursing home, please notify either UM4GI office of any address updates or changes.
- Funeral Lunch Dishes – If you have brought a dessert or salad for a funeral lunch, please come pick up your dishes in Trinity’s kitchen by the Gathering Place. Thank you!
- United Methodist Response to Pilger. Please keep the people of Pilger, NE and Stanton County in your prayers. If you would like to volunteer, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Individual volunteers not participating in the training should report to the Wisner, NE high school for intake information and work assignment. Groups interested in long-term recovery should contact TruDee Little at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. Donations can be made to your church, with a note on the envelope or check Pilger Disaster Relief.
- Trinity UMW is collecting “Box Tops for Education” and Campbell’s Labels. These labels are used to purchase educational items to support Epworth Village in York. These labels can be dropped off in the black box on the lower shelf of the UMW library corner in Trinity‘s parlor. If you are not sure which part of the label to save, drop off the entire label and it will be cut down appropriately. Thank you!
- Get involved in worship services with UM4GI!
- UM4GI shirts are available in a variety of sizes and also in polo styles!
- Donations are welcomed for Epworth Village’s Kruse House.
Studies & Groups
- Women of Faith Study: NEW! Starting August 25th, Discovering Joy in Your Creativity (You are made in the Image of a Creative God ) by Margaret Feinberg on Mondays at 5:30 p.m. at Sharon Sorensen’s House (1717 W. Charles) or call Sharon at 382-7543.
- Women’s Study on Wednesdays at 1:30pm at First-Faith UMC‘s Fireside Room.
- Strong Women Study on Wednesdays at 3:30pm at First-Faith UMC.
- Chancel Choir at First-Faith UMC on Wednesdays at 7pm at First-Faith UMC.
- Men’s Study on Fridays at 7:00am at Tommy’s Restaurant.
Groups on summer break until the fall:
- Upper Room Study Group with Pastor Matt on Tuesdays from 6:30-7:30 p.m. at Trinity UMC Parlor.
- Series on the Psalms Study: Wednesdays at 9:30 a.m. in Trinity’s Youth Room with Pastor Theresa.
- Mom’s Group meets on Wednesdays at 6:30 pm at Trinity UMC in the Parlor outside Gollaher Chapel.
- Zone: This fellowship group for all UM4GI children, grades 1st-5th, meets on Wednesdays from 6:30-7:30 p.m. at Trinity UMC. The program includes large group time, dramas, praise and worship, and rotational activities such as snack and game stations each week.
- ReCHARGE: A group of young adults (18-40ish), meets for fellowship and discussion on Wednesday evenings in Trinity UMC‘s Conference Room at 6:30 p.m.
- Chancel Choir at Trinity UMC on Wednesdays at 7pm in the Choir Room (downstairs).
- Handbell Choir at Trinity UMC on Wednesdays at 8pm (downstairs next to the Choir Room).
- F7: F-7 will be on summer break. Be looking for information this fall!
- Youth Group information can be found here.
- Check out UM4GI’s Confirmation Preparation options for the year.