Here’s a quick look at UM4GI events this week for August 26th – September 2nd, as well as this weekend’s preaching schedule!
This Week’s Events/Announcements
- Join us this weekend at Trinity UMC for kid-friendly worship services. Children will be staying in worship during the 11:00 CrossPoint service, so Pastor Theresa has incorporated clips from The Lion King and Prince of Egypt to be shown.
- This is the last weekend that there will be individuals before and after worship services to assist you with Church Directory Picture SIGN-UP! Also, the rest of the weeks have now been opened up for Trinity and First-Faith, so all available time slots are now open. All sign up is done online. Visit www.um4gi.org and click on the Picture Sign Up button to select your own time. Please take advantage of the individuals assisting this weekend if you do not have access to a computer. You can take your directory pictures at either church site, whichever site is most convenient for your family to get to! It will be FREE for your family to have their photo taken for the directory and each family photographed will receive a free 8 X 10 photo and free directory with no obligation for additional purchases. It is a great opportunity to help place names with faces, get to know people and celebrate ministry! If you are unable to get to either location to have your photo taken, you can send in a picture or contact Pastor Matt at First-Faith to have someone take your picture. Note that there will be a $10 inclusion fee for photos that are not taken by Lifetouch.
- Refresh! Free, quality childcare will be available at First-Faith UMC on August 27th from 9:00 – 11:30 a.m.. Parents can run errands or take a break to relax! Contact Sharon Sorensen at 382-7543 for more information.
- Name Tags are in! The name tags will be laid out alphabetically on a table in the Gathering Place at Trinity UMC. Please stop by the table and pick up your name tag before, after or during services this weekend. If you would like to leave your name tag here at the church, we have white magnetic boards (for magnetic ones) on the wall to the left outside of the Gollaher doors and in the narthex to the right of the sanctuary doors. If you have the pin variety, you can stick the pin into the bulletin boards that surround the magnetic board. Please call the Trinity church office if you have any questions.
- Trinity Sunday School Registration has begun! Please stop by the registration table in the Gathering Place between Sunday services and after the 11:00 am CrossPoint worship to sign up for the 2014-2015 year. Kids can do a simple craft while parents fill out the registration form. Sunday School starts back up with Rally Sunday on September 7th!
- Road construction has begun in front of First-Faith UMC starting with Capital Ave. and Independence and moving towards Hwy 2. It may appear you are unable to get into the parking lot, but there is allowance. Be patient while driving during this time of construction.
- Stephen Ministry is sponsoring a wonderful 6 week class on Christian Caregiving – A Way of Life. This is a not a Stephen Ministry training class. The Christian Caregiving class will give hope and ideas that we can use in any of our caregiving situations; to our children, friends, parents or others. The class will be at Trinity UMC, Room C, on Wednesday evenings from 7:00 – 8:30 p.m. beginning September 17th and ending October 22nd. To register or for questions, please contact Marge Terman at 308-384-1353 or Kat Kluska at 308-384-8286. Please register as soon as possible, so we know how many books to order. The books will be free!
- UM4GI will be offering an in-depth eight-week study of Paul’s letter to the Romans beginning in late September. “Invitation to Romans” is part of the Disciple curriculum, but a short-term study that will completed before Thanksgiving. Exploring how people have interpreted Romans through the ages is a good lens to view the history of Christianity itself. This study is meaty and extremely enjoyable for those students with some familiarity of Romans and with a strong biblical foundation to rely on. Bette Pore will be leading the class, which will meet for 90 minutes each Tuesday afternoon at Trinity UMC. An orientation will be September 23rd, with the first class being September 30th. If you are interested in taking part in this class, call Bette at 383-7299 by September 7th so that books can be ordered.
- Noah’s Ark is in need of Kleenexes. If you would like to donate some, please bring them to Trinity UMC.
- Trinity UMC is ordering name tags! The Evangelism Committee is encouraging everyone to order their own name tag. It will help everyone feel more comfortable calling our fellow attendees by name, and our ministers can get to know our names as well. This will especially be helpful as we get new pastors! Trinity would like each congregation member, children included, to have a name tag. Trinity will be providing them at no cost to you for the first one, you can choose magnetic or pin back and a place will be provided at the church to store your name tag if you wish. You can print off a form here or email your choice of magnetic back or pin back, and how you would like your name to read on your name tag to email@example.com. Make sure to include all family members!
- UM4GI’s Prayers Shawl ministry continues. If you would like to learn how to make a prayer shawl or make them with others, come to Trinity UMC Gathering Place on Thursday Nights at 6:30 p.m. Contact Linda Harris at 227-1286 for more information.
- Register to participate in First-Faith’s Dinner for Fun events to be held throughout 2014.
- Regular Wednesday Evening programming at Trinity UMC and First-Faith UMC (including youth groups, studies, musical groups, & more). See below for more detail!
Upcoming Events/Announcements and Other Opportunities
- First-Faith Lunch Bunch will be Wednesday, September 10th at noon at First-Faith UMC. Come share in a potluck meal with games to follow!
- First-Faith Sunday School Kick Off will be on Sunday, September 14th! There will be games and treats with church service at 9:30 a.m. Come and join them for the day!
- The Reading Challenge for Hassan will kick off September 14th and continue through October 26th. This fundraiser project is for all ages for UM4GI to raise funds for Hassan’s support. Gather pledges per books or pages read (you can even pledge yourself!) and keep track. Pick up a pledge sheet at either church office and start gathering your pledges!
- It’s that time of year again! Donations of your clean and gently used items for the Trinity UMW Fall Rummage Sale will be accepted September 15th – 17th from 8:00 am – 5:00 pm. Please use the NE doors to drop off your donations. Sale dates are set for September 18th 4:00 pm – 7:30 p.m., September 19th 9:00 am – 6:00 pm, and September 20th 8:00 am – 2:00 pm ($5 bags sale and 1/2 price bag sale). Please contact Penny Allen or Lorraine Ogg if you would like to volunteer – you don’t need to be UMW to help out!
- Prime Timers! Come share in games and dinner on Tuesday, September 16th 10:00 am in Trinity’s Miller Hall. Cost is $5, RSVP by Friday, September 12th.
- VIM Trip! The VIM (Volunteers in Mission) Team are planning a three day mission experience at Beaver Crossing on September 19th-21st, come and work with them all three days or any that will work for you. Please, let Pastor Karla (402-366-1366) by September 10th if you like to participate or call either church office. Be sure to mark your calendars for the next VIM trip to Beaver Crossing on October 17th-19th!
- Publications is currently updating addresses for those who live in skilled care or a nursing home. If you or a loved one lives in skilled care or a nursing home, please notify either UM4GI office of any address updates or changes.
- Funeral Lunch Dishes – If you have brought a dessert or salad for a funeral lunch, please come pick up your dishes in Trinity’s kitchen by the Gathering Place. Thank you!
- Trinity UMW is collecting “Box Tops for Education” and Campbell’s Labels. These labels are used to purchase educational items to support Epworth Village in York. These labels can be dropped off in the black box on the lower shelf of the UMW library corner in Trinity‘s parlor. If you are not sure which part of the label to save, drop off the entire label and it will be cut down appropriately. Thank you!
- Get involved in worship services with UM4GI!
- UM4GI shirts are available in a variety of sizes and also in polo styles!
- Donations are welcomed for Epworth Village’s Kruse House.
Studies & Groups
- Women of Faith Study: Discovering Joy in Your Creativity (You are made in the Image of a Creative God ) by Margaret Feinberg on Mondays at 5:30 p.m. at Sharon Sorensen’s House (1717 W. Charles) or call Sharon at 382-7543.
- Women’s Study on Wednesdays at 1:30pm at First-Faith UMC‘s Fireside Room.
- Strong Women Study on Wednesdays at 3:30pm at First-Faith UMC.
- Chancel Choir at First-Faith UMC on Wednesdays at 7pm at First-Faith UMC.
- Men’s Study on Fridays at 7:00am at Tommy’s Restaurant.
Groups on summer break until the fall:
- Series on the Psalms Study: Wednesdays at 9:30 a.m. in Trinity’s Youth Room with Pastor Theresa.
- Mom’s Group meets on Wednesdays at 6:30 pm at Trinity UMC in the Parlor outside Gollaher Chapel.
- Zone: This fellowship group for all UM4GI children, grades 1st-5th, meets on Wednesdays from 6:30-7:30 p.m. at Trinity UMC. The program includes large group time, dramas, praise and worship, and rotational activities such as snack and game stations each week.
- ReCHARGE: A group of young adults (18-40ish), meets for fellowship and discussion on Wednesday evenings in Trinity UMC‘s Conference Room at 6:30 p.m.
- Chancel Choir at Trinity UMC on Wednesdays at 7pm in the Choir Room (downstairs).
- Handbell Choir at Trinity UMC on Wednesdays at 8pm (downstairs next to the Choir Room).
- F7: F-7 will be on summer break. Be looking for information this fall!
- Youth Group information can be found here.
- Check out UM4GI’s Confirmation Preparation options for the year.