Here’s a quick look at UM4GI events this week for August 26-September 2, as well as this weekend’s preaching schedule!
This Week’s Events/Announcements
- Trinity Choir Potluck: Nancy and Ron Underwood will be hosting a choir potluck Wednesday, August 26th at 6:30pm at their home. Choir members and their spouses/partners are invited to attend as well as new singers. It will be a chance to chat with the new pastors!
- The Food For Thought Backpack Program feeds empty tummies and clothes cold bodies. Ways to help: Pray for the FFT families and volunteers; consider sponsoring Howard School for a week-$10 donation, or a month -$40 d0nation, or a year-$400 donation; participate in bringing needed items; sponsor a Howard School family at Christmas; or volunteer to deliver backpacks to Howard School. The first backpacks will be going home September 3rd. watch the announcements concerning needed items. Questions and volunteers call Carol George at 384-2272 or Verna Haberman at 385-5900 ext. 1204.
- Noah’s Ark is in need of part-time child care workers, 25-30 hours a week in the afternoons. Please contact them at 382-1752 to apply or for more information.
- ESL is back in session. Classes are held in the Gathering Place at Trinity on Monday evenings at 7.
- The Rummage Sale is coming up at Trinity! Sign-up to volunteer The Rummage sale will take place September 16-19. There will be plenty more information to come, but if you have urgent questions please contact the Trinity Church Office or Penny Allen.
- Noah’s Ark has full time openings for 6 weeks to 24 months. Wish list: normal sized paint brushes, markers, dry erase markers, small buckets, bubbles, board games, Lego Kits for boys and girls, sleep sacks for infants (boy & girl or neutral), strainers, funnels, basters (things for water play), sidewalk chalk, and especially food storage containers! Thank you all for your continued support!
- Refresh! Free, quality childcare will be available at First-Faith UMC every 2nd and 4th Wednesdays from 9 am – 11:30 am so that moms can run errands or take a break and relax! Contact Sharon Sorensen at 382-7543 with any questions.
- UM4GI’s Prayers Shawl ministry continues. If you would like to learn how to make a prayer shawl or make them with others, come to Trinity UMC Gathering Place on Thursday Nights at 6:30 pm. Contact Linda Harris at 227-1286 for more information.
- Register to participate in First-Faith UMC‘s Dinner for Fun events to be held throughout 2015. Dinner for Fun 2015 is coming! Dinner 4 Fun is people sharing a meal, making new friends, renewing old friendships, and getting to know one another. It is for singles, couples and families. Do you like to cook? OK! If you don’t like to cook, deli food or take-out works also! If you can’t host or be a leader, there are other ways to share in the fun. The hope is that each group will meet together 4 times. Each group will have a leader to organize the group and keep it going, you meet when it works for your group. Your group can plan an after meal activity, such as games, visiting, watching sports, or playing cards, it is up to your group to decide. You can register at either church office or email Joyce McKinny at firstname.lastname@example.org with the information. Questions? Please call Joyce at 308-382-4709.
Upcoming Events/Announcements and Other Opportunities
- Trinity Choir practice will begin Wednesday, September 2nd at 7pm.
- Trinity Bell Choir practice begins Wednesday, September 9th at 8pm.
- First-Faith Choir and Bell Choir will both start up on Wednesday, September 9th. Bell Choir practices every Wednesday from 6-7pm and Choir practices every Wednesday from 7-8 in Room 4.
- Lunch Bunch at First-Faith is Wednesday, September 9th at 12pm.
- Rally Day is quickly approaching! It is the start up for Sunday School and honoring Sunday School Teachers and 3rd graders will also receive a Bible. Hope to see you there!
- Cookies with the Clergy at Trinity will be held on September 13th and November 15th at 2pm. If you are interested in becoming a member at Trinity this is a great time for you to meet with the pastors and get to know more about Trinity, the staff, an what opportunities are available for you to connect and grow in your faith at Trinity.
- Look for a whole list of updated events in the upcoming newsletter!
- On the first Sunday of the month, it is “Food Pantry Sunday” at First-Faith and Trinity! At First-Faith donations can be placed in the “Food Pantry Grocery Cart” in Fellowship Hall at any time.
- Look for youth activities to start back up after Labor Day Weekend!
- Trinity and First-Faith United Methodist Women are collecting “Box Tops for Education” and Campbell’s Labels. These labels are used to purchase educational items to support Epworth Village in York. These labels can be dropped off in the black box on the lower shelf of the UMW library corner in Trinity‘s parlor or in the green tote in Fellowship Hall at First-Faith UMC. If you are not sure which part of the label to save, drop off the entire label and it will be cut down appropriately. Thank You!
- Get involved in worship services with UM4GI!
- UM4GI shirts are available in a variety of sizes and also in polo styles!
Bible Studies and Small Groups:
- “Balancing Life’s Demands” Small group study will be held at the home of Rocky and Stacey Salpas on Sundays from 4-6pm.
- “Recharge” young adult group starts Wednesday, September 2 and is held in the Trinity Church Conference Room from 6:30-8pm.
- “Matthew’s Message: Good News for the New Millennium” Bible study will start Wednesday, September 9th in the Trinity Youth Room at 9:30am and is will be led by Pastor Theresa Mason.
- “Bad Girls of the Bible and What We Can Learn From Them” Women of Faith study will start Monday, September 14th at 5:30pm. The first two weeks of the study (September 14th and 21st) will be held in the Fireside Room at First-Faith. The following weeks will be hosted by Sharon Sorensen at her home.
- “Revival” a study by Rev. Adam Hamilton, will be held on Tuesday afternoons at Trinity and led by Pastor Russ. Specific dates and time to come!
- “Disciple Fast Track” Bible study will start September 8th at First-Faith. Pastor Trudy will be leading an evening study group and Larry Coates will be leading a daytime fast-track study.
- “Seizing the Moments” book study by James W. Moore will be held Wednesday afternoons at 1:30pm starting Wednesday, August 26th in the Fireside Room at First Faith.
- ***Check out the upcoming newsletter for a more detailed list of what is to come at UM4GI.***
Youth Activities at UM4GI
- Footprints Youth: there will be a potluck at First-Faith for the youth and their parents on Sunday, September 13th from 5:45-7:30pm. All youth 6th-12th grades are welcome.
- United Methodist Youth Fellowship: the first meeting is September 16th from 6:30-8:00pm at Trinity on the 3rd floor. All youth grades 6th-12th grades are welcome to attend.
- Zone: the first meeting is September 16th from 6:30-7:30pm at Trinity. All youth ages K-5th grade are welcome to attend.
- Sudanese Youth: continues to meet Sundays at Trinity at 1pm in the Gathering Place.
- First-Faith UMC – Duane Coates will being doing a Gideon presentation.
- Trinity UMC – Reverend Theresa Mason will be preaching on “Controlling Our Tongues,” it is also Hymn Sing Sunday at both the 6:00pm Saturday service and 9:30am Sunday service. Both Sunday services at 9:30 and 11:00am will be child-friendly with clips from the film “Inside Out” and ventriloquism with the dragon, Aiden. Can’t wait to see you there!