Here’s a quick look at UM4GI events this week for August 16th – August 23rd as well as this weekend’s preaching schedule!
- First-Faith UMC – August 21, Join us for a short worship series entitled “Thank God I’m a Methodist.” Over the next three weeks, we’ll take a closer look at some of the core beliefs that define us as United Methodists – our unique methodologies, our understanding of grace, and the importance of personal holiness. This will be a great primer on United Methodism and we’ll learn some new words to John Denver’s song, too!
- Trinity UMC – August 20th & 21st Pastor Russ will be preaching “Take A Walk On the Wild Side” scripture: Luke 13:10-17
Back to School Blessing Sunday, August 21st All Students and Education staff are invited to bring their backpacks, briefcases, or tote bags to worship for a special blessing to begin the new school year surrounded in prayer.
- Here is the latest newsletter for the month of July/August.
Bible Studies and Small Groups:
- First-Faith Adult Sunday School class will meet Sundays at 10:45 am in the Fireside Room. They started a new study on July 3rd. It is entitled “The Miracle of Mercy” and was written by Rick Warren. It is a six session spiritual growth study about God’s number one characteristic. It will help us cultivate a heart of mercy as we learn to;
– Forgive others unreservedly
– Help those who are hurting
– Be patient with those who are difficult
– Show kindness to enemies
– Care for those who are lost
- The Young Adults Sunday School at First-Faith UMC will resume in the fall.
- Starting Sunday, Sept. 18th at 6:30 pm – 8 p.m. in the Youth Room at Trinity Pastor Kelly will be hosting a fall study “Making Sense of the Bible: Rediscovering the Power of Scripture Today” by Adam Hamilton. Call the Trinity office or stop in and sign up on the sheet.
- Women of Faith resumes Monday September 12th. It is held at Sharon Sorensen’s home at 5:30 pm. The name of the study is “Trusting in Christ” written by Karen Lee-Thorp.
- Tuesday Mathètè’s – They are studying “Half Truths” by Adam Hamilton. Join Pastor Russ in a search for the whole truth by comparing some common Christian sayings with the wisdom found in the Scripture. Tuesdays at 1:00 pm in the Youth Room. Anyone is welcome to join.
- Pastor Trudy will lead Barbara Roose’s Bible Study “Beautiful Already” on Tuesday evenings beginning September 13th at First-Faith. If you’ve ever said anything along these lines: “I’m so fat.” “I don’t like my nose.” “I wish I was taller.” then this study is for you! Our dissatisfaction with what we see in the mirror is what Roose calls “our ugly struggle with beauty.” We’ll meet every other week for six sessions from 6:30 – 8:00 p.m. and explore God’s truth about beauty as revealed in the Old and New Testaments
- ReCharge young adult group will resume in the fall on September 13th! They will be switching to Tuesday evenings at 6:30 in The Gathering Place at Trinity.
- Wednesday afternoon Book Study at 1:30pm in the Fireside Room at First Faith they will be studying Bad Girls of the Bible and What We Can Learn from Them by Liz Curtis Higgs.
- Faith on Tap Looking for that place where life and faith intersect? Come join Pastor Russ at Nathan Detroit’s, 316 N Pine, on September 21st at 7:00 p.m. and every 3rd Wednesday of the month after that. Bring your inquisitive mind as we try to make sense of our lives and our place in this world in light of what the Bible says.
- Mom’s Group is starting again on September 14th at a new time of 7-8:00 pm in the Parlor at Trinity!
- Disciple Fast Track Bible Study is offered again this year on Thursday mornings from 10:45 – Noon beginning September 15th at First-Faith. This study is comprised of two 12-week session; the first session focuses on the Old Testament and the latter on the New Testament. Participants can sign up for the full 24 weeks or either of the 12 week sessions. If you want to learn more about the Bible as an integrated book, join Pastor Trudy for a fast track through God’s word!
- “Before Amen: The Power of a Simple Prayer,” a book by Max Lucado will be the subject for a study group meeting at Trinity UMC this fall. This book examines practical ways to make prayer a larger part of our daily lives. The class will meet at 7:30 p.m. on Thursdays from Sept. 15 through Nov. 17 in the Youth Room. The first meeting will be an orientation to distribute the books and the first discussion of the book will be on Sept. 22. Those interested in participating should contact Bette Pore at 383-7299 by Monday, Sept. 5, so that books can be ordered. The cost for books will be $9.50.
Youth Activities at UM4GI
- Footprints Youth (6-12th): Save the date for Sunday September 11th! We will be having a potluck to kick-off the year! See you at 5:45 pm at First- Faith
- Trinity Youth Ministries (6-12th): Come join us at our new time 7-8:00 pm on Wednesday, September 14th! We will be kicking off the year with worship with live music. Can’t wait to see everybody again!!
- Zone (K-5th): Come join us at our new time 7-8:00 pm on Wednesday, September 14th! We will be kicking off the year with worship with live music. Can’t wait to see everybody again!!
- Sudanese Youth: continues to meet Sundays at Trinity at 1 pm in the Gathering Place.
This Week’s Announcements
- Back to School Blessing Sunday, August 21st All Students and Education staff are invited to bring their backpacks, briefcases, or tote bags to worship for a special blessing to begin the new school year surrounded in prayer.
Upcoming Events/Announcements and Other Opportunities
- UM4GI September Ice Cream Social Let’s share in some fun, fellowship, and homemade ice cream September 18, 2016 2:00-4:00 pm at Stolley Park as we celebrate our ministry together. We will gather at the Picnic Pavilion. Don’t forget to bring a lawn chair.Watch the weekly bulletin and website for more information.
- Peggy Helms is leading a craft making group every third Tuesday of the month from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm at First-Faith UMC. Bring your own crafts to work on or Peggy will have some projects available. The group is getting a head start on making items for the November craft fair. Their next meeting is September 20th.
- Get to Know Pastor Kelly Join us for coffee, cookies, & conversation as we get to know Pastor Kelly. The times, dates and locations for the first four are listed below. To enable more time for conversation, we are asking that you attend the scheduled group with the first letter of your last name. However, if your scheduled time isn’t convenient, please feel free to attend at a more convenient time. HIJ—Monday Aug 29th 7:00 pm—The Gathering Place KL—Wednesday, Sept 7th 2:00 pm—The Gathering Place MNO—Saturday, Sept 10th 7:00 pm—The Gathering Place PQR—Sunday Sept 11th 4:00 pm—The Gathering Place ST—Thursday, Sept 15th 7:00 pm—Miller Hall U-Z—Wednesday Sept 21st 7:00 pm—The Gathering Place
- First-Faith United Methodist Men will be holding a Blue Rock Shoot on September 13th starting at 6:00pm at Isaac Walton Park! All men are invited to attend and socialize; they will have refreshments afterwards. For more information please call Doug Ferguson 383-6055.
- Trinity UMW Fall Rummage Sale Drop off: Sept 12th-14th 9am-5pm Sale begins: Thursday Sept 15th: 4-7pm Friday Sept 16th: 9am-6pm Saturday Sept 17th: 8am-2pm 1/2 price & bag sale will be on Saturday.
- First-Faith UMW Fall Rummage Sale Drop off: Sept 19th-21st 10am-5pm Sale begins: Friday Sept 23rd: 8am-6pm Saturday Sept 24th: 8am-2pm 1/2 price Saturday after 11:00am *No Clothes will be accepted*
- There will be a Holy Land Exploration Tour Informational Meeting at First-Faith on Wednesday August 24th @ 7:00 pm. Have you considered traveling to the Holy Land? Pastors Russ and Trudy invite you to join them on a 10-day journey throughout the Holy Land, March 20-29, 2017. We will follow in the footsteps of Jesus as we explore places such as the Sea of Galilee, Bethlehem, and Jerusalem. The Holy Land is claimed to be the “Fifth Gospel” as it brings to life all you have ever read. If you are interested, please, visit with Pastor Russ or Pastor Trudy, or pick up a brochure. Come, experience this once in a life time, life changing, journey as we see the Bible come to life! Find out more information here!
- Refresh! Free, quality childcare is available at First-Faith UMC every 2nd and 4th Wednesdays from 9 am – 11:30 am so that moms can run errands or take a break and relax! The next Refresh! will be Wednesday, August 24th. Contact Sharon Sorensen at 382-7543 with any questions.
- Lunch Bunch is Wednesday September 14th 12:00 pm at First-Faith UMC. Come join us for this fun potluck!
- NAMI Support Group meets the 1st and 3rd Fridays of the month from 6:30-7:30 pm at the Trinity House.
Noah’s Ark is looking for fun, caring and responsible individuals to fill afternoon openings with our child care center. Hours range from 11:30-6; 12-6 and 1-6. Please pick up an application in the director’s office or on here.
Trinity United Methodist Church is now accepting applications for the weekend janitor position. Duties include janitorial service and lock up and building security, including lock up and service for weddings and special events. The position is four hours per week minimum. Additional pay for special events. A complete job description is available here. Application is available here. Position is posted until filled.
- Help us care for Grand Island by re-stocking the shelves of the food pantry in the month of August.
- Aug 20-21: Pastas, cereals, grains
- Aug 27-28: Toilet paper, Kleenex, paper towels, Clorox wipes
- On the first Sunday of the month it is “Food Pantry Sunday” at First-Faith and Trinity! At First-Faith donations can be placed in the “Food Pantry Grocery Cart” in Fellowship Hall at any time. At Trinity donations can be placed in the tote in the UMW Library in the Parlor anytime.
- The First-Faith sewing group is asking for donations of gently used or new baby items to be given to our local WIC office. Items needed include: booties, bibs, blankets, hats, and burp cloths. Please deposit donations in the bin located in the Narthex.
- First-Faith is beginning an educational partnership with Engleman Elementary. We are taking the first steps by supporting new teachers by helping them build their classroom libraries and supply of board games to be used for indoor recess. Gently used children’s books and board games for elementary age children can be donated. Please bring them to First-Faith.
- Noah’s Ark Wish List: School Supplies! Contact April at Noah’s Ark. Thank you all for your continued support!
- Prayer Shawls are available at both First-Faith and Trinity to anyone in need. If you would like to become a part of the UM4GI Prayer Shawl ministry, join them in the Trinity UMC Gathering Place on Thursday nights at 6:30pm. (They will even teach you how to make them!) Contact Linda Harris at 227-1286 for more information.
Online Giving Options
- Follow this link to contribute to Trinity financially.
- Follow this link to contribute to First-Faith financially.