Here’s a quick look at UM4GI events this week for August 12-August 19, as well as this weekend’s preaching schedule!
This Week’s Events/Announcements
- A Visual Arts Workshop will take place at First-Faith on August 12th presented by Pastor Trudy Kenyon Anderson. To sign up or for more information please call 384-5620.
- The Mission Committee is again promoting August as Food Pantry Month. The food pantry at the Salvation Army is in need of restocking in preparation for fall has a box in the Parlor for donations to be placed. August 16th – Grains (Oatmeal, crackers, etc…) August 23rd – Paper products(toilet paper, paper towels, etc…) Thank you for your support of the Grand Island Food Pantry!
- First-Faith Work Day will be held on August 15th from 8am-noon! Please volunteer to help beautify our grounds! Bruce and Sharon Kleint are coordinating the work day, please contact them for more information.
- The Rummage Sale is coming up at Trinity! Sign-ups to volunteer will start this Sunday, August 16th. The Rummage sale will take place September 16-19. There will be plenty more information to come, but if you have urgent questions please contact the Trinity Church Office or Penny Allen.
- First-Faith Usher/Greeter Organization Meeting Anyone involved in the Usher/Greeter Ministry, or who has an interest in joining, is invited to attend the organizational meeting on Wednesday, August 19th from 6:30-7:30pm. They will also be completing the guest service schedule through the end of 2015.
- Noah’s Ark has full time openings for 6 weeks to 24 months. Wish list: normal sized paint brushes, markers, dry erase markers, small buckets, bubbles, board games, Lego Kits for boys and girls, sleep sacks for infants (boy & girl or neutral), strainers, funnels, basters (things for water play), sidewalk chalk, and especially food storage containers! Thank you all for your continued support!
- Refresh! Free, quality childcare will be available at First-Faith UMC every 2nd and 4th Wednesdays from 9 am – 11:30 am so that moms can run errands or take a break and relax! Contact Sharon Sorensen at 382-7543 with any questions.
- UM4GI’s Prayers Shawl ministry continues. If you would like to learn how to make a prayer shawl or make them with others, come to Trinity UMC Gathering Place on Thursday Nights at 6:30 pm. Contact Linda Harris at 227-1286 for more information.
- Register to participate in First-Faith UMC‘s Dinner for Fun events to be held throughout 2015. Dinner for Fun 2015 is coming! Dinner 4 Fun is people sharing a meal, making new friends, renewing old friendships, and getting to know one another. It is for singles, couples and families. Do you like to cook? OK! If you don’t like to cook, deli food or take-out works also! If you can’t host or be a leader, there are other ways to share in the fun. The hope is that each group will meet together 4 times. Each group will have a leader to organize the group and keep it going, you meet when it works for your group. Your group can plan an after meal activity, such as games, visiting, watching sports, or playing cards, it is up to your group to decide. You can register at either church office or email Joyce McKinny at email@example.com with the information. Questions? Please call Joyce at 308-382-4709.
Upcoming Events/Announcements and Other Opportunities
- Choir Potluck: Nancy and Ron Underwood will be hosting a choir potluck Sunday, August 26th at their home. Choir members and their spouses/partners are invited to attend as well as new singers. It will be a chance to chat with the new pastors!
- On the first Sunday of the month, it is “Food Pantry Sunday” at First-Faith and Trinity! At First-Faith donations can be placed in the “Food Pantry Grocery Cart” in Fellowship Hall at any time.
- ESL will start back up August 17th at 7pm at Trinity. Volunteers for teachers and homework helpers are needed! If you are interested please contact Pastor Theresa Mason or Priscilla Hormachea.
- Look for youth activities to start back up after Labor Day Weekend!
- Trinity and First-Faith United Methodist Women are collecting “Box Tops for Education” and Campbell’s Labels. These labels are used to purchase educational items to support Epworth Village in York. These labels can be dropped off in the black box on the lower shelf of the UMW library corner in Trinity‘s parlor or in the green tote in Fellowship Hall at First-Faith UMC. If you are not sure which part of the label to save, drop off the entire label and it will be cut down appropriately. Thank You!
- Get involved in worship services with UM4GI!
- UM4GI shirts are available in a variety of sizes and also in polo styles!
Bible Studies and Small Groups:
- New Small Group: “Balancing Life’s Demands” will be held at the home of Rocky and Stacey Salpas. This 5 week study started on August 2nd and goes from 5-7pm. For more information contact Rocky at 308-390-8159 or Stacey at 308-383-2502.
- Small Group Bible study, “GOD, As He Longs For Us To See Him” by Chip Ingram. The group will be held at the home of Alan and Gena Hess on Thursdays at 7pm. The series will last approximately 10 weeks. Please call Gena Hess (308-737-0126) to sign up and for more information! Anyone is welcome to attend!
- Future Small Group Studies: Do you have a small group that will be starting in the coming weeks or months? Let us know so we can get it on the church calendar and help you publicize it! Please make all submissions by July 15 for the July newsletter and August 15 for the August newsletter.