Here’s a quick look at UM4GI events this week for July 8th-July 15th, as well as this weekend’s preaching schedule!
This Week’s Events/Announcements
- This coming Sunday at Trinity we will inaugurate our envisioning for Long Range Planning with the sermon series: “Imagine the People of God” by Rev. Theresa Mason, and Dane Christensen singing “Imagine” inviting us to envision ourselves as a church and individuals, made in the image of God, to be transformed, to have fruit, to live in compassion, to reach out and embrace our neighbors, and to carry out that love and compassion in the world.
- Everest VBS is looking for volunteers to help decorate! They will be starting at 9am, Monday, July 13th in front of Gollaher Chapel.
- UM4GI is looking for people to host Pastor Meet and Greets in the next couple months. If you would like to host a gathering, please call the church office so we can help you coordinate a date with our new pastors.
- Scholarships are available for children’s activities this summer! For more information please call the parish office.
- Performance Arts Camp Trinity United Methodist Church is offering a Performance Arts Camp for high school and middle school youth in music, drama, and dance Monday July 27 through Friday, July 31 from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. at Trinity United Methodist Church, 511 N. Elm Street, Grand Island NE 68801. The camp is designed for evryone from the seasoned performer to those looking to explore the performing arts for the first time. The mission of “Shining Light “ is to proclaim God’s Word through performing arts. Dane Christensen will direct the music section. He is a vocal music teacher in Central City, NE and directs the children’s choir and chancel choir at Trinity. He also oversees the musical and show choir at Central City High School. Reverend Theresa Mason will direct the theater section. She was director of Spirit Bound Players at Hamline University in St. Paul, MN and has directed children, youth, and adults in dramatic productions for years. Sheere Gleason will direct the dance section. She is known in Grand Island for her work directing persons of all ages in dance. Campers can pick two different performance tracks from music, dance and drama. Some of the skills that will be offered are opportunities for improvisation, solos, and group performances. On Friday July 31, campers will present a showcase at 7:00 p.m. in the sanctuary. Registration deadline is July 15th, will be $15, and includes a t-shirt. For information and on-line registration see www.um4gi.org or call Trinity United Methodist at 308-382-1952.
- VBS is quickly approaching for both Trinity and First-Faith. Check out the boards with donation needs at each church!
- Meals for Everest VBS:What’s cookin’? A huge Thank You to all of our volunteer groups for providing a light meal before Everest VBS. All children must be accompanied by an adult during the meal. Donations are encouraged. Meals will be as follows: Monday – July 13th– Hot Dogs (provided by the missions team)Tuesday – July 14th– Sandwiches & Chips provided by our very own Pastor Russ Anderson & Pastor Trudy Kenyon AndersonWednesday – July 15th– Sloppy Joes provided by the United Methodist WomenThursday – July 16th– Hot Dog’s provided by the Recharge groupFriday – July 17th-Pizza being provided by the VBS team
- Everest VBS Volunteers Needed: Volunteers are always welcome and needed at VBS. If you can donate your time any of the nights Monday July 13th thru Friday July 17th contact Sebrina Bergmeier at 383-1252 or Mandy Smidt at 227-8727, or call the church office. Volunteers can help with serving meals and clean up from 5:15 -6:00, Work with groups of kids, preparing snacks, handing out snacks, singing, whatever your specialty we have a spot for you.
- Everest VBS Spotlight Performance and Video! On July 19th our VBS crews (kids) will lead songs and will be spotlighted during the 11 am service. Please have kids in Miller Hall at 10:45 am, so we can assemble and sing. Be sure they wear their tie-dyed VBS shirts. They will come back to sit with you after they lead us in song!
- Director of Children, Youth, and Family Ministries The SPRC and Christian Education Task Force has announced that the permanent position for a Director of Family, Youth, and Children’s Ministries would also include coordinating youth ministries (about 10 hours youth ministries and about 30 hours with children and family ministries). Currently, our interim director of Children and Family Ministries, Sebrina Bergmeier, works just with children and families, as did the previous director. To view the entire job description and how to apply, please visit the website at um4gi.org and click on the “Job Description” tab, or you can contact the Trinity UMC office for more information. Application deadline is July 10th.
- Noah’s Ark has full time openings for 6 weeks to 24 months. Wish list: normal sized paint brushes, markers, dry erase markers, small buckets, bubbles, board games, Lego Kits for boys and girls, sleep sacks for infants (boy & girl or neutral), strainers, funnels, basters (things for water play), sidewalk chalk, and especially food storage containers! Thank you all for your continued support!
- Refresh! Free, quality childcare will be available at First-Faith UMC every 2nd and 4th Wednesdays from 9 am – 11:30 am so that moms can run errands or take a break and relax! Contact Sharon Sorensen at 382-7543 with any questions.
- UM4GI’s Prayers Shawl ministry continues. If you would like to learn how to make a prayer shawl or make them with others, come to Trinity UMC Gathering Place on Thursday Nights at 6:30 pm. Contact Linda Harris at 227-1286 for more information.
- Register to participate in First-Faith UMC‘s Dinner for Fun events to be held throughout 2015. Dinner for Fun 2015 is coming! Dinner 4 Fun is people sharing a meal, making new friends, renewing old friendships, and getting to know one another. It is for singles, couples and families. Do you like to cook? OK! If you don’t like to cook, deli food or take-out works also! If you can’t host or be a leader, there are other ways to share in the fun. The hope is that each group will meet together 4 times. Each group will have a leader to organize the group and keep it going, you meet when it works for your group. Your group can plan an after meal activity, such as games, visiting, watching sports, or playing cards, it is up to your group to decide. You can register at either church office or email Joyce McKinny at firstname.lastname@example.org with the information. Questions? Please call Joyce at 308-382-4709.
- Regular Wednesday Evening programming at Trinity UMC and First-Faith UMC (including youth groups, studies, musical groups, & more). See below for more detail!
Upcoming Events/Announcements and Other Opportunities
- Ministerio de Fe will be having an anniversary celebration at First-Faith on Friday, July 10th. It will be a worship service celebrating God’s blessings during their thirteen years in ministry. A meal will follow. All are welcome to attend, but the service will be in Spanish.
- Join us at TUMC to conquer challenges with God’s mighty power at Everest Vacation Bible School July 13th to July 17th You will be able to sign up to volunteer also! Contact Sebrina at email@example.com or 308-383-1252 for more information.
- Everest VBS is looking for a small group to provide a kid-friendly meal Tuesday during VBS (July 14th). If this is something you could help with please contact the church office or Sebrina Bergmeier at 308-383-1252.
- First-Faith Vacation Bible School will be held July 19th to July 23rd! Registration will start May 15th. For more information contact Randi Pennell at (308)920-0462 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- “Shining Light” Performing Arts Camp Monday, July 27 through Friday, July 31 from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. at Trinity United Methodist Church. The camp will be offered for all incoming 6th-12th graders. Registration will be $15, which includes a t-shirt. Registration will be on-line or may be picked up in the office. Deadline for registration is For more information, call Trinity United Methodist at 308-382-1952 . This is a community wide event!
- Publications is currently updating addresses for those who live in skilled care or a nursing home. If you or a loved one lives in skilled care or a nursing home, please notify either UM4GI office of any address updates or changes.
- Do you have an event coming up that you would like to make a video announcement for? We can help! Contact Brandy Doggett in the church office if you have any questions or to set up a time to meet.
- Trinity UMW and First-Faith UMC are collecting “Box Tops for Education” and Campbell’s Labels. These labels are used to purchase educational items to support Epworth Village in York. These labels can be dropped off in the black box on the lower shelf of the UMW library corner in Trinity‘s parlor or in the green tote in Fellowship Hall at First-Faith UMC. If you are not sure which part of the label to save, drop off the entire label and it will be cut down appropriately. Thank You!
- On the first Sunday of the month, it is “Food Pantry Sunday” at First-Faith UMC! Donations can be placed in the “Food Pantry Grocery Cart” in Fellowship Hall at any time. Thank you for your support of the Grand Island Food Pantry!
- Get involved in worship services with UM4GI!
- UM4GI shirts are available in a variety of sizes and also in polo styles!
Bible Studies and Small Groups:
- Small Group Bible study, “GOD, As He Longs For Us To See Him” by Chip Ingram, beginning June 4th. The group will be held at the home of Alan and Gena Hess on Thursdays at 7pm. The series will last approximately 10 weeks. Please call Gena Hess (308-737-0126) to sign up and for more information! Anyone is welcome to attend!
- Future Small Group Studies: Do you have a small group that will be starting in the coming weeks or months? Let us know so we can get it on the church calendar and help you publicize it! Please make all submissions by July 15 for the July newsletter and August 15 for the August newsletter.