Here’s a quick look at UM4GI events this week for July 29th-August 5th, as well as this weekend’s preaching schedule!
This Week’s Events/Announcements
- UM4GI Build Day with Habitat for Humanity will be this Saturday, August 2nd. Builders are supposed to be at work site at 1818 W. 11th Avenue in Grand Island at 7:45 am. Lunch will be served at 1:00 pm. Please contact Kent at 381-7297 or your local church office to sign up to help with the building, or Lorraine Ogg at 382-8573 to help with the food and/or lunch!
- This Sunday, August 3rd, is the last Sunday for open gym! All middle/high school youth who are interested in playing basketball indoors are welcome to use Miller Hall at Trinity UMC during open gym time, on Sunday from 1:30 – 3:00 p.m.
- First-Faith UMW “Women’s Health and Wealth” evening will be Tuesday, August 5th at First-Faith UMC at 6:00 p.m.
- Neighborhood Night Out will be Tuesday, August 5th from 6pm – 8pm at Trinity UMC. Come out and enjoy the evening with UM4GI! United Methodist Men will be grilling up hot dogs and the Genesis Committee will have their homemade ice cream taste off! There will be live music, crafts, side walk chalk art, games, face painting, water balloon toss, bounce house for children, police car and fire truck, fun and fellowship!
- Food Pantry Blitz is happening in August! UM4GI plans to help replenish the Food Pantry shelves throughout the month of August. Each week we are asking the UM4GI congregations to contribute a different type of food or household item (including baby items) based on the following schedule: August 2-3 – canned fruits and vegetables, August 9-10 – protein items such as canned meats, beans and peanut butter, August 16-17 – grains such as rice, pasta, oatmeal, and breakfast cereal, August 23-24 – diapers and paper goods such as paper towels, toilet paper and facial tissue. Please look for the food pantry boxes at First-Faith UMC and Trinity UMC and help us restock the shelves! If you have questions, call LeEllen Haynes or any UM4GI church office.
- Noah’s Ark is in need of Kleenexes. If you would like to donate some, please bring them to Trinity UMC.
- Trinity UMC is ordering name tags! The Evangelism Committee is encouraging everyone to order their own name tag. It will help everyone feel more comfortable calling our fellow attendees by name, and our ministers can get to know our names as well. This will especially be helpful as we get new pastors! Trinity would like each congregation member, children included, to have a name tag. Trinity will be providing them at no cost to you for the first one, you can choose magnetic or pin back and a place will be provided at the church to store your name tag if you wish. You can print off a form here or email your choice of magnetic back or pin back, and how you would like your name to read on your name tag to firstname.lastname@example.org. Make sure to include all family members!
- UM4GI’s Prayers Shawl ministry continues. If you would like to learn how to make a prayer shawl or make them with others, come to Trinity UMC Gathering Place on Thursday Nights at 6:30 p.m. Contact Linda Harris at 227-1286 for more information.
- Register to participate in First-Faith’s Dinner for Fun events to be held throughout 2014.
- Regular Wednesday Evening programming at Trinity UMC and First-Faith UMC (including youth groups, studies, musical groups, & more). See below for more detail!
Upcoming Events/Announcements and Other Opportunities
- Make sure to stop by the Lemonade Stand for Hassan on Sunday, August 10th between services at Trinity UMC and purchase some lemonade to benefit Hassan!
- First-Faith Quilters and Sewers will NOT be meeting on August 12th, they will resume on August 26th.
- Refresh! Free, quality childcare will be available at First-Faith UMC on August 13th from 9:00 – 11:30 a.m.. Parents can run errands or take a break to relax! Contact Sharon Sorensen at 382-7543 for more information.
- First-Faith Lunch Bunch will be Wednesday, August 13th at noon at First-Faith UMC. Join us for a potluck meal with games to follow!
- Prime Timers will be meeting Tuesday, August 19th at 9:30 a.m. at Tommy’s Restaurant – 1325 South Locust in Grand Island.
- Publications is currently updating addresses for those who live in skilled care or a nursing home. If you or a loved one lives in skilled care or a nursing home, please notify either UM4GI office of any address updates or changes.
- Funeral Lunch Dishes – If you have brought a dessert or salad for a funeral lunch, please come pick up your dishes in Trinity’s kitchen by the Gathering Place. Thank you!
- United Methodist Response to Pilger. Please keep the people of Pilger, NE and Stanton County in your prayers. If you would like to volunteer, please email email@example.com. Individual volunteers not participating in the training should report to the Wisner, NE high school for intake information and work assignment. Groups interested in long-term recovery should contact TruDee Little at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. Donations can be made to your church, with a note on the envelope or check Pilger Disaster Relief.
- Trinity UMW is collecting “Box Tops for Education” and Campbell’s Labels. These labels are used to purchase educational items to support Epworth Village in York. These labels can be dropped off in the black box on the lower shelf of the UMW library corner in Trinity‘s parlor. If you are not sure which part of the label to save, drop off the entire label and it will be cut down appropriately. Thank you!
- Get involved in worship services with UM4GI!
- UM4GI shirts are available in a variety of sizes and also in polo styles!
- Donations are welcomed for Epworth Village’s Kruse House.
Studies & Groups
- Women of Faith Study: NEW! Starting August 25th, Discovering Joy in Your Creativity (You are made in the Image of a Creative God ) by Margaret Feinberg on Mondays at 5:30 p.m. at Sharon Sorensen’s House (1717 W. Charles) or call Sharon at 382-7543.
- Women’s Study on Wednesdays at 1:30pm at First-Faith UMC‘s Fireside Room.
- Strong Women Study on Wednesdays at 3:30pm at First-Faith UMC.
- Chancel Choir at First-Faith UMC on Wednesdays at 7pm at First-Faith UMC.
- Men’s Study on Fridays at 7:00am at Tommy’s Restaurant.
Groups on summer break until the fall:
- Upper Room Study Group with Pastor Matt on Tuesdays from 6:30-7:30 p.m. at Trinity UMC Parlor.
- Series on the Psalms Study: Wednesdays at 9:30 a.m. in Trinity’s Youth Room with Pastor Theresa.
- Mom’s Group meets on Wednesdays at 6:30 pm at Trinity UMC in the Parlor outside Gollaher Chapel.
- Zone: This fellowship group for all UM4GI children, grades 1st-5th, meets on Wednesdays from 6:30-7:30 p.m. at Trinity UMC. The program includes large group time, dramas, praise and worship, and rotational activities such as snack and game stations each week.
- ReCHARGE: A group of young adults (18-40ish), meets for fellowship and discussion on Wednesday evenings in Trinity UMC‘s Conference Room at 6:30 p.m.
- Chancel Choir at Trinity UMC on Wednesdays at 7pm in the Choir Room (downstairs).
- Handbell Choir at Trinity UMC on Wednesdays at 8pm (downstairs next to the Choir Room).
- F7: F-7 will be on summer break. Be looking for information this fall!
- Youth Group information can be found here.
- Check out UM4GI’s Confirmation Preparation options for the year.