Here’s a quick look at UM4GI events this week for July 22nd-July 29th, as well as this weekend’s preaching schedule!
This Week’s Events/Announcements
- Shining Light Performing Arts Camp is in full swing this week at Trinity! A showcase from the week will be held on Friday, July 31st at 7pm. We hope to see you all there!
- The Central Nebraska Ethnic Festival is coming up on Friday, July 31 at 5pm and will continue through the weekend. Check out their Facebook page for more information!
- Communion Sunday is this weekend at First-Faith and Trinity
- If you would like to attend the Meet-and-Greet at the Winters the morning of August 5 call the church office or contact them directly!
- Noah’s Ark has full time openings for 6 weeks to 24 months. Wish list: normal sized paint brushes, markers, dry erase markers, small buckets, bubbles, board games, Lego Kits for boys and girls, sleep sacks for infants (boy & girl or neutral), strainers, funnels, basters (things for water play), sidewalk chalk, and especially food storage containers! Thank you all for your continued support!
- Refresh! Free, quality childcare will be available at First-Faith UMC every 2nd and 4th Wednesdays from 9 am – 11:30 am so that moms can run errands or take a break and relax! Contact Sharon Sorensen at 382-7543 with any questions.
- UM4GI’s Prayers Shawl ministry continues. If you would like to learn how to make a prayer shawl or make them with others, come to Trinity UMC Gathering Place on Thursday Nights at 6:30 pm. Contact Linda Harris at 227-1286 for more information.
- Register to participate in First-Faith UMC‘s Dinner for Fun events to be held throughout 2015. Dinner for Fun 2015 is coming! Dinner 4 Fun is people sharing a meal, making new friends, renewing old friendships, and getting to know one another. It is for singles, couples and families. Do you like to cook? OK! If you don’t like to cook, deli food or take-out works also! If you can’t host or be a leader, there are other ways to share in the fun. The hope is that each group will meet together 4 times. Each group will have a leader to organize the group and keep it going, you meet when it works for your group. Your group can plan an after meal activity, such as games, visiting, watching sports, or playing cards, it is up to your group to decide. You can register at either church office or email Joyce McKinny at firstname.lastname@example.org with the information. Questions? Please call Joyce at 308-382-4709.
Upcoming Events/Announcements and Other Opportunities
- The Mission Committee is again promoting August as Food Pantry Month. The food pantry at the Salvation Army is in need of restocking in preparation for fall has a box in the Parlor for donations to be placed. The week of August 2nd – Proteins (tuna, peanut butter, other canned meats), August 9th – Canned fruits and vegetables, August 16th – Grains (Oatmeal, crackers, etc…) August 23rd – Paper products(toilet paper, paper towels, etc…) Thank you for your support of the Grand Island Food Pantry!
- On the first Sunday of the month, it is “Food Pantry Sunday” at First-Faith and Trinity! At First-Faith donations can be placed in the “Food Pantry Grocery Cart” in Fellowship Hall at any time.
- Mark your calendars for Neighborhood Night Out on August 4th from 6-8pm. It is held on N. Elm street between Old Walnut Apartments and Trinity United Methodist Church. FREE ACTIVITIES include: free food, fire truck, games, entertainment, face painting, water balloons, crafts, sidewalk chalk art, music, bounce house for kids, and more! The United Methodist Men will be grilling up tasty hotdogs and the Genesis Committee will be making homemade ice-cream. Come on out, bring your spare change and vote for your favorite flavor to support Youth Ministries!
- Blessing of the Backpacks will take place on August 9th at both First-Faith and Trinity during children’s time. Bring your backpacks and briefcases to be blessed!
- Blessing of School Supplies will also be August 9th! There will be boxes at both Trinity and First-Faith to drop off school supplies for them to be blessed. First-Faith will be donating school supplies to The Early Learning Center and Trinity will be donating theirs to Hope Harbor!
- ESL will start back up August 17th at 7pm at Trinity. Volunteers for teachers and homework helpers are needed! If you are interested please contact Pastor Theresa Mason or Priscilla Hormachea.
- A Visual Arts Workshop will take place at First-Faith on August 12th presented by Pastor Trudy Kenyon Anderson. To sign up or for more information please call 384-5620.
- Look for youth activities to start back up after Labor Day Weekend!
- Publications is currently updating addresses for those who live in skilled care or a nursing home. If you or a loved one lives in skilled care or a nursing home, please notify either UM4GI office of any address updates or changes.
- Do you have an event coming up that you would like to make a video announcement for? We can help! Contact Brandy Doggett in the church office if you have any questions or to set up a time to meet. Please contact her a minimum of 2 weeks prior to the video deadline.
- Trinity and First-Faith United Methodist Women are collecting “Box Tops for Education” and Campbell’s Labels. These labels are used to purchase educational items to support Epworth Village in York. These labels can be dropped off in the black box on the lower shelf of the UMW library corner in Trinity‘s parlor or in the green tote in Fellowship Hall at First-Faith UMC. If you are not sure which part of the label to save, drop off the entire label and it will be cut down appropriately. Thank You!
- Get involved in worship services with UM4GI!
- UM4GI shirts are available in a variety of sizes and also in polo styles!
Bible Studies and Small Groups:
- Small Group Bible study, “GOD, As He Longs For Us To See Him” by Chip Ingram. The group will be held at the home of Alan and Gena Hess on Thursdays at 7pm. The series will last approximately 10 weeks. Please call Gena Hess (308-737-0126) to sign up and for more information! Anyone is welcome to attend!
- Future Small Group Studies: Do you have a small group that will be starting in the coming weeks or months? Let us know so we can get it on the church calendar and help you publicize it! Please make all submissions by July 15 for the July newsletter and August 15 for the August newsletter.