Here’s a quick look at UM4GI events this week for July 19th – July 26th as well as this weekend’s preaching schedule!
- First-Faith UMC – July 24th we’ll hear some music and testimony from our Surf Shack VBS kids and also from our summer campers. Come on out and catch the wave of God’s amazing love!
- Trinity UMC – Saturday July 23rd & Sunday July 24th Rev. Kelly Karges will be preaching.
- Here is the latest newsletter for the month of June/July.
Bible Studies and Small Groups:
- “What Is the Holy Spirit” join Pastor Russ for this study. It is held on Tuesdays at 1:00 pm in the Youth Room.
- First-Faith Adult Sunday School class will meet Sundays at 10:45 am in the Fireside Room. They started a new study on July 3rd. It is entitled “The Miracle of Mercy” and was written by Rick Warren. It is a six session spiritual growth study about God’s number one characteristic. It will help us cultivate a heart of mercy as we learn to;
– Forgive others unreservedly
– Help those who are hurting
– Be patient with those who are difficult
– Show kindness to enemies
– Care for those who are lost
- The Young Adults at First-Faith UMC will resume in the fall.
- Alan & Gena Hess are hosting a 10 week summer study Thursday evenings at their home 7:00 p.m. to 8:15 p.m. starting June 2nd. The video and book study is “True Spirituality: Becoming a Romans 12 Christian” by Chip Ingram. We will examine the principles and practices of a Christian as described in Romans 12. Call Gena @ 308-737-0126 with questions and to R.S.V.P. for this study.
- Women of Faith will be taking the summer off. Enjoy the summer months and we will start back up in the fall!
- Wednesday afternoon Book Study at 1:30pm in the Fireside Room at First Faith they will be studying Bad Girls of the Bible and What We Can Learn from Them by Liz Curtis Higgs.
- ReCharge young adult group will resume in the fall! Have a fantastic summer!
- Mom’s Group will resume in the fall! Have a fantastic summer!
- Surf’s up! The kids who attended Surf Shack VBS @ First-Faith this week will be singing for all to hear at a program on Friday @ 6:30 in the Sanctuary! There will be an ice cream social to follow!
Youth Activities at UM4GI
- Footprints Youth: Bible ‘n BBQ Who: all youth who be will be in 6th – 12 grade What to bring: yer Bible, swimwear & lifejacket, and a friend When: Wednesday Aug 3rd, 6:00 – 7:30 pm Where: Dale & Karleen Beckman’s RSVP: Annette Glos 308-390-3939 or email@example.com Come join in the fun.
- United Methodist Youth Fellowship: will resume in the fall! Enjoy summer break!
- Zone: will resume in the fall! Have a blast this summer!
- Sudanese Youth: continues to meet Sundays at Trinity at 1 pm in the Gathering Place.
This Week’s Announcements
- There will be a Holy Land Exploration Tour Informational Meeting First-Faith on Monday July 25th @ 7:30 pm. Have you considered traveling to the Holy Land? Pastors Russ and Trudy invite you to join them on a 10-day journey throughout the Holy Land, March 20-29, 2017. We will follow in the footsteps of Jesus as we explore places such as the Sea of Galilee, Bethlehem, and Jerusalem. The Holy Land is claimed to be the “Fifth Gospel” as it brings to life all you have ever read. If you are interested, please, visit with Pastor Russ or Pastor Trudy, or pick up a brochure. Come, experience this once in a life time, life changing, journey as we see the Bible come to life! Find out more information here!
- Journey of Hope is a non-profit group of individuals who have first hand experience with the death penalty. These experiences range from having been on death row and later exonerated, having had a family member on death row and executed, or having had a family member who was murdered and that murderer was either executed or is currently on death row. They advocate for the death penalty’s abolition from this perspective. Trinity will host these speakers in the Gathering Place on July 19th at 7 pm. We hope you can plan to join us to hear first hand experiences with the death penalty.
Upcoming Events/Announcements and Other Opportunities
- Neighborhood Night Out August 2, at Trinity UMC from 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. This year we will be dedicating the peace pole along with all the usual fun & games. To volunteer your help call Deb Brummund, the Trinity Office or sign up on a clipboard. We hope to see you there!!
- Lunch Bunch is Wednesday July 10th 12:00 pm at First-Faith UMC. Come join us for this fun potluck!
- Refresh! Free, quality childcare will be available at First-Faith UMC every 2nd and 4th Wednesdays from 9 am – 11:30 am so that moms can run errands or take a break and relax! The next Refresh! will be Wednesday, July 27th. Contact Sharon Sorensen at 382-7543 with any questions.
- Peggy Helms is leading a craft making group every third Tuesday of the month from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm at First-Faith UMC. Bring your own crafts to work on or Peggy will have some projects available. The group is getting a head start on making items for the November craft fair. Their next meeting is August 16th.
- NAMI Support Group meets the 1st and 3rd Fridays of the month from 6:30-7:30 pm at the Trinity House.
Job Openings – Both Trinity & First-Faith have opportunities for employment, find them listed below.
Trinity United Methodist Church is now accepting applications for the weekend janitor position. Duties include janitorial service and lock up and building security, including lock up and service for weddings and special events. The position is four hours per week minimum. Additional pay for special events. A complete job description is available here. Application is available here. Position is posted until filled.
- First-Faith United Methodist Church is seeking a part-time administrative assistant to work with the Pastor in attending to the ministerial needs of the church. The job description with benefits are posted here. Interested persons should send a cover letter with resume and three references to 4190 W. Capital Avenue, Grand Island, NE 68803, to the attention of Rev. Trudy Kenyon Anderson. Application period closes on Sunday, July 31, 2016.
- On the first Sunday of the month it is “Food Pantry Sunday” at First-Faith and Trinity! At First-Faith donations can be placed in the “Food Pantry Grocery Cart” in Fellowship Hall at any time. At Trinity donations can be placed in the tote in the UMW Library in the Parlor anytime.
- The First-Faith sewing group is asking for donations of gently used or new baby items to be given to our local WIC office. Items needed include: booties, bibs, blankets, hats, and burp cloths. Please deposit donations in the bin located in the Narthex.
- First-Faith is beginning an educational partnership with Engleman Elementary. We are taking the first steps by supporting new teachers by helping them build their classroom libraries and supply of board games to be used for indoor recess. Gently used children’s books and board games for elementary age children can be donated. Please bring them to First-Faith.
- Food For Thought Backpacks at Trinity: We have a great opportunity to help those in need right here in our area. We have bags and lists that you can easily take and fill for the families we support at Howard. Pick up a bag and a list, fill it up, and bring it back to the church office. If you would like more information, call Sebrina at 382-1952.
- Noah’s Ark Wish List: Mulch for the playground! Contact April at Noah’s Ark. Thank you all for your continued support!
- Prayer Shawls are available at both First-Faith and Trinity to anyone in need. If you would like to become a part of the UM4GI Prayer Shawl ministry, join them in the Trinity UMC Gathering Place on Thursday nights at 6:30pm. (They will even teach you how to make them!) Contact Linda Harris at 227-1286 for more information.
- ESL classes will resume in the fall.
Online Giving Options
- Follow this link to contribute to Trinity financially.
- Follow this link to contribute to First-Faith financially.