Here’s a quick look at UM4GI events this week for July 15th-July 22nd, as well as this weekend’s preaching schedule!
This Week’s Events/Announcements
- Everest VBS is in full swing at Trinity! Everest VBS Spotlight Performance and Video on July 19th our VBS crews (kids) will lead songs and will be spotlighted during the 11 am service. Please have kids in Miller Hall at 10:45 am, so we can assemble and sing. Be sure they wear their tie-dyed VBS shirts. They will come back to sit with you after they lead us in song!
- Pastor Trudy will be doing a sermon series “Christmas in July” at First-Faith this month, and Pastor Theresa will continue her sermon series “Imagine the People of God” at Trinity! Don’t miss out!
- First-Faith will be having SonSparks Lab VBS next week starting Sunday, July 19th! For more information contact Randi Pennell at (308)920-0462 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- UM4GI is looking for people to host Pastor Meet and Greets in the next couple months. If you would like to host a gathering, please call the church office so we can help you coordinate a date with our new pastors.
- Scholarships are available for ALL children’s activities this summer! For more information please call the parish office.
- Performance Arts Camp Trinity United Methodist Church is offering a Performance Arts Camp for high school and middle school youth in music, drama, and dance Monday July 27 through Friday, July 31 from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. at Trinity United Methodist Church, 511 N. Elm Street, Grand Island NE 68801. The camp is designed for everyone from the seasoned performer to those looking to explore the performing arts for the first time. The mission of “Shining Light “ is to proclaim God’s Word through performing arts. Dane Christensen will direct the music section. He is a vocal music teacher in Central City, NE and directs the children’s choir and chancel choir at Trinity. He also oversees the musical and show choir at Central City High School. Reverend Theresa Mason will direct the theater section. She was director of Spirit Bound Players at Hamline University in St. Paul, MN and has directed children, youth, and adults in dramatic productions for years. Sheere Gleason will direct the dance section. She is known in Grand Island for her work directing persons of all ages in dance. Campers can pick from music, dance and drama. Some of the skills that will be offered are opportunities for improvisation, solos, and group performances. On Friday July 31, campers will present a showcase at 7:00 p.m. in the sanctuary. Registration will be $15, and includes a t-shirt. For information and on-line registration see www.um4gi.org or call Trinity United Methodist at 308-382-1952
- Noah’s Ark has full time openings for 6 weeks to 24 months. Wish list: normal sized paint brushes, markers, dry erase markers, small buckets, bubbles, board games, Lego Kits for boys and girls, sleep sacks for infants (boy & girl or neutral), strainers, funnels, basters (things for water play), sidewalk chalk, and especially food storage containers! Thank you all for your continued support!
- Refresh! Free, quality childcare will be available at First-Faith UMC every 2nd and 4th Wednesdays from 9 am – 11:30 am so that moms can run errands or take a break and relax! Contact Sharon Sorensen at 382-7543 with any questions.
- UM4GI’s Prayers Shawl ministry continues. If you would like to learn how to make a prayer shawl or make them with others, come to Trinity UMC Gathering Place on Thursday Nights at 6:30 pm. Contact Linda Harris at 227-1286 for more information.
- Register to participate in First-Faith UMC‘s Dinner for Fun events to be held throughout 2015. Dinner for Fun 2015 is coming! Dinner 4 Fun is people sharing a meal, making new friends, renewing old friendships, and getting to know one another. It is for singles, couples and families. Do you like to cook? OK! If you don’t like to cook, deli food or take-out works also! If you can’t host or be a leader, there are other ways to share in the fun. The hope is that each group will meet together 4 times. Each group will have a leader to organize the group and keep it going, you meet when it works for your group. Your group can plan an after meal activity, such as games, visiting, watching sports, or playing cards, it is up to your group to decide. You can register at either church office or email Joyce McKinny at email@example.com with the information. Questions? Please call Joyce at 308-382-4709.
- Regular Wednesday Evening programming at Trinity UMC and First-Faith UMC (including youth groups, studies, musical groups, & more). See below for more detail!
Upcoming Events/Announcements and Other Opportunities
- The Mission Committee is again promoting August as Food Pantry Month. The food pantry at the Salvation Army is in need of restocking in preparation for fall has a box in the Parlor for donations to be placed. Look for the calendar in the upcoming newsletter! Thank you for your support of the Grand Island Food Pantry!
- On the first Sunday of the month, it is “Food Pantry Sunday” at First-Faith and Trinity! At First-Faith donations can be placed in the “Food Pantry Grocery Cart” in Fellowship Hall at any time.
- Mark your calendars for Neighborhood Night Out on August 4th from 6-8pm. It is held on N. Elm street between Old Walnut Apartments and Trinity United Methodist Church. FREE ACTIVITIES include: free food, fire truck, games, entertainment, face painting, water balloons, crafts, sidewalk chalk art, music, bounce house for kids, and more! The United Methodist Men will be grilling up tasty hotdogs and the Genesis Committee will be making homemade ice-cream. Come on out, bring your spare change and vote for your favorite flavor to support Youth Ministries!
- Look for youth activities to start back up after Labor Day Weekend!
- Publications is currently updating addresses for those who live in skilled care or a nursing home. If you or a loved one lives in skilled care or a nursing home, please notify either UM4GI office of any address updates or changes.
- Do you have an event coming up that you would like to make a video announcement for? We can help! Contact Brandy Doggett in the church office if you have any questions or to set up a time to meet.
- Trinity UMW and First-Faith UMC are collecting “Box Tops for Education” and Campbell’s Labels. These labels are used to purchase educational items to support Epworth Village in York. These labels can be dropped off in the black box on the lower shelf of the UMW library corner in Trinity‘s parlor or in the green tote in Fellowship Hall at First-Faith UMC. If you are not sure which part of the label to save, drop off the entire label and it will be cut down appropriately. Thank You!
- Get involved in worship services with UM4GI!
- UM4GI shirts are available in a variety of sizes and also in polo styles!
Bible Studies and Small Groups:
- Small Group Bible study, “GOD, As He Longs For Us To See Him” by Chip Ingram, beginning June 4th. The group will be held at the home of Alan and Gena Hess on Thursdays at 7pm. The series will last approximately 10 weeks. Please call Gena Hess (308-737-0126) to sign up and for more information! Anyone is welcome to attend!
- Future Small Group Studies: Do you have a small group that will be starting in the coming weeks or months? Let us know so we can get it on the church calendar and help you publicize it! Please make all submissions by July 15 for the July newsletter and August 15 for the August newsletter.