Here’s a quick look at UM4GI events this week for June 28th – July 5th as well as this weekend’s preaching schedule!
- First-Faith UMC – On July 3rd, we will learn about “The Tormented”. Luke 8: 26-39 describes a man whose demons forced him to live on the outside of community. This story is not only an ancient tale. So many struggle with demons that hold our spirits captive. Transformation and healing are possible, but may need to start with the work of compassion & truth telling.
- Trinity UMC – Rev. Kelly Karges will begin as the new senior pastor of Trinity in worship on Saturday July 2nd and Sunday July 3rd. Let us welcome him by going to church this first weekend and supporting him from the start.
- As we head into this time of pastoral transition there can be many conflicting feelings. The Great Plains district website has great resources to help in this changing time. Visit here to find these resources.
- Here is the latest newsletter for the month of June/July.
Bible Studies and Small Groups:
- “What Is the Holy Spirit” join Pastor Russ for this study. It is held on Tuesdays at 1:00pm in the Youth Room.
- First-Faith Adult Sunday School class will meet Sundays at 10:45am in the Fireside Room. On Sunday, April 24th they will be starting a new study by Rick Warren entitled “The Habits of Happiness.” This 6-week study teaches exercises for a happy heart and offers biblically-based ways to develop a perspective of contentment. Participants will learn how to:
- cultivate the transformational habits of gratitude, forgiveness, humility and contentment
- relieve stress and conflict by staying focused on their God-given purpose
- stop comparing themselves to others
- release the pain of past hurts
- grow deeper in their relationship with Jesus
- The Young Adults at First-Faith UMC will resume in the fall.
- Alan & Gena Hess are hosting a 10 week summer study Thursday evenings at their home 7:00 p.m. to 8:15 p.m. starting June 2nd. The video and book study is “True Spirituality: Becoming a Romans 12 Christian” by Chip Ingram. We will examine the principles and practices of a Christian as described in Romans 12. Call Gena @ 308-737-0126 with questions and to R.S.V.P. for this study.
- Women of Faith will be taking the summer off. Enjoy the summer months and we will start back up in the fall!
- Wednesday afternoon Book Study at 1:30pm in the Fireside Room at First Faith they will be studying Bad Girls of the Bible and What We Can Learn from Them by Liz Curtis Higgs.
- ReCharge young adult group will resume in the fall! Have a fantastic summer!
- Mom’s Group will resume in the fall! Have a fantastic summer!
- Registration is now open for Cave Quest VBS @ Trinity sign up online here or stop by the church office. Registration is $10.00 for each child age 4 to 5th grade. Scholarships are available for anyone who needs assistance with registration. It will be held Monday July 11th – Friday July 15th with kids singing on Sunday July 17th at the 11:00 a.m. service.
- Surf’s up! Registration is now open for this Surf Shack VBS @ First-Faith! It is Sunday July 17th to Friday July 22nd. The program will be on Friday with ice cream to follow. The cost is $7.50 per child or a family fee of $20. Children Preschool to 5th grade are welcome to attend and have fun. Scholarships are available for anyone who is not able to afford registration. Download & print the registration here & return to the church office. Or pick up a form in the Narthex at the church.
Youth Activities at UM4GI
- Footprints Youth: Bible ‘n BBQ Who: all youth who be will be in 6th – 12 grade What to bring: yer Bible, wear old clothes (the games may be messy), and a friend When: Wednesday July 13th, 6:00 – 7:30 pm Where: Dale & Karleen Beckman’s RSVP: Annette Glos 308-390-3939 or firstname.lastname@example.org Come join in the fun. Mark yer calendars for August 3rd, too!!
- United Methodist Youth Fellowship: will resume in the fall! Enjoy summer break!
- Zone: will resume in the fall! Have a blast this summer!
- Sudanese Youth: continues to meet Sundays at Trinity at 1 pm in the Gathering Place.
This Week’s Announcements
- On the first Sunday of the month it is “Food Pantry Sunday” at First-Faith and Trinity! At First-Faith donations can be placed in the “Food Pantry Grocery Cart” in Fellowship Hall at any time. At Trinity donations can be placed in the tote in the UMW Library in the Parlor anytime.
Upcoming Events/Announcements and Other Opportunities
- There will be a Holy Land Exploration Tour Informational Meeting Wednesday July 6th @ Trinity UMC in Gollaher Chapel @ 6:30 pm. The next meeting will be held at First-Faith on Monday July 25th @ 7:30 pm. Have you considered traveling to the Holy Land? Pastors Russ and Trudy invite you to join them on a 10-day journey throughout the Holy Land, March 20-29, 2017. We will follow in the footsteps of Jesus as we explore places such as the Sea of Galilee, Bethlehem, and Jerusalem. The Holy Land is claimed to be the “Fifth Gospel” as it brings to life all you have ever read. If you are interested, please, visit with Pastor Russ or Pastor Trudy, or pick up a brochure. Come, experience this once in a life time, life changing, journey as we see the Bible come to life! Find out more information here!
- Lunch Bunch is Wednesday July 13th 12:00 pm at First-Faith UMC. Come join us for this fun potluck!
- Refresh! Free, quality childcare will be available at First-Faith UMC every 2nd and 4th Wednesdays from 9 am – 11:30 am so that moms can run errands or take a break and relax! The next Refresh! will be Wednesday, July 13th. Contact Sharon Sorensen at 382-7543 with any questions.
- Peggy Helms is leading a craft making group every third Tuesday of the month from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm at First-Faith UMC. Bring your own crafts to work on or Peggy will have some projects available. The group is getting a head start on making items for the November craft fair. Their next meeting is July 19th.
- NAMI Support Group meets the 1st and 3rd Fridays of the month from 6:30-7:30 pm at the Trinity House.
- The First-Faith sewing group is asking for donations of gently used or new baby items to be given to our local WIC office. Items needed include: booties, bibs, blankets, hats, and burp cloths. Please deposit donations in the bin located in the Narthex.
- First-Faith is beginning an educational partnership with Engleman Elementary. We are taking the first steps by supporting new teachers by helping them build their classroom libraries and supply of board games to be used for indoor recess. Gently used children’s books and board games for elementary age children can be donated. Please bring them to First-Faith.
- Food For Thought Backpacks at Trinity: We have a great opportunity to help those in need right here in our area. We have bags and lists that you can easily take and fill for the families we support at Howard. Pick up a bag and a list, fill it up, and bring it back to the church office. If you would like more information, call Sebrina at 382-1952.
- Noah’s Ark Wish List: Mulch for the playground! Contact April at Noah’s Ark. Thank you all for your continued support!
- Prayer Shawls are available at both First-Faith and Trinity to anyone in need. If you would like to become a part of the UM4GI Prayer Shawl ministry, join them in the Trinity UMC Gathering Place on Thursday nights at 6:30pm. (They will even teach you how to make them!) Contact Linda Harris at 227-1286 for more information.
- ESL classes will resume in the fall.
Online Giving Options
- Follow this link to contribute to Trinity financially.
- Follow this link to contribute to First-Faith financially.