Here’s a quick look at UM4GI events this week for June 21st – June 28th as well as this weekend’s preaching schedule!
- First-Faith UMC – During worship on Sunday, June 26th “The Outsiders” Worship Series continues with us meeting the woman who comes to Jesus and presents herself humbly at his feet, perhaps the most vulnerable position possible. No matter our sins, no matter the sins of others, Jesus forgives those who come with humility and love, removing their outsider identity.
- Trinity UMC –Saturday June 25th David Clark will lead worship. Sunday June 19th at both the 9:30 and 11:00 service we will have the pleasure of hearing from retired Bishop Ann Sherer-Simpson.
- As we head into this time of pastoral transition there can be many conflicting feelings. The Great Plains district website has great resources to help in this changing time. Visit here to find these resources.
- Here is the latest newsletter for the month of June/July.
Bible Studies and Small Groups:
- “What Is the Holy Spirit” join Pastor Russ for this study. It is held on Tuesdays at 1:00pm in the Youth Room.
- First-Faith Adult Sunday School class will meet Sundays at 10:45am in the Fireside Room. On Sunday, April 24th they will be starting a new study by Rick Warren entitled “The Habits of Happiness.” This 6-week study teaches exercises for a happy heart and offers biblically-based ways to develop a perspective of contentment. Participants will learn how to:
- cultivate the transformational habits of gratitude, forgiveness, humility and contentment
- relieve stress and conflict by staying focused on their God-given purpose
- stop comparing themselves to others
- release the pain of past hurts
- grow deeper in their relationship with Jesus
- The Young Adults at First-Faith UMC will resume in the fall.
- Alan & Gena Hess are hosting a 10 week summer study Thursday evenings at their home 7:00 p.m. to 8:15 p.m. starting June 2nd. The video and book study is “True Spirituality: Becoming a Romans 12 Christian” by Chip Ingram. We will examine the principles and practices of a Christian as described in Romans 12. Call Gena @ 308-737-0126 with questions and to R.S.V.P. for this study.
- Women of Faith are studying “That The World May Know Ministries series – “Walking With God in The Desert” DVD lesson with minister/teacher/historian Ray Vander Laan. Women of Faith meet at 5:30 PM in Room 1 at First-Faith during the summer months.
- Wednesday afternoon Book Study at 1:30pm in the Fireside Room at First Faith they will be studying Bad Girls of the Bible and What We Can Learn from Them by Liz Curtis Higgs.
- ReCharge young adult group will resume in the fall! Have a fantastic summer!
- Mom’s Group will resume in the fall! Have a fantastic summer!
- Registration is now open for Cave Quest VBS @ Trinity sign up online here or stop by the church office. Registration is $10.00 for each child age 4 to 5th grade. Scholarships are available for anyone who needs assistance with registration. It will be held Monday July 11th – Friday July 15th with kids singing on Sunday July 17th at the 11:00 a.m. service.
- Surf’s up! Registration is now open for this Surf Shack VBS @ First-Faith! It is Sunday July 17th to Friday July 22nd, with the program on Friday with ice cream to follow. The cost is $7.50 per child or a family fee of $20. Children Preschool to 5th grade are welcome to attend and have fun. Scholarships are available for anyone who is not able to afford registration. Download & print the registration here & return to the church office. Or pick up a form in the Narthex at the church.
Youth Activities at UM4GI
- Footprints Youth: Bible ‘n BBQ Who: all youth who be will be in 6th – 12 grade What to bring: yer Bible, wear old clothes (the games may be messy), and a friend When: Wednesday June 22nd, 6:00 – 7:30 pm Where: First-Faith UMC RSVP: Annette Glos 308-390-3939 or firstname.lastname@example.org Come join in the fun. Mark yer calendars for July 13th & August 3rd, too!!
- United Methodist Youth Fellowship: will resume in the fall! Enjoy summer break!
- Zone: will resume in the fall! Have a blast this summer!
- Sudanese Youth: continues to meet Sundays at Trinity at 1pm in the Gathering Place.
This Week’s Announcements
- Mark your calendar for Thursday, June 23rd. The Great Plains Conference Peace with Justice Ministry has invited Margi and Hugo who work with BorderLinks to speak about their understanding of what is happening in their area. They will share about their experiences working at the border, on both sides. Margi and Hugo will give insight into the reasons people embark on this dangerous journey and what happens along the way. Please join us at 7 pm in the Youth room at Trinity UMC on Thursday, June 23. This event is in place of our June JFON clinic. See you there!
- Refresh! Free, quality childcare will be available at First-Faith UMC every 2nd and 4th Wednesdays from 9 am – 11:30 am so that moms can run errands or take a break and relax! The next Refresh! will be Wednesday, June 22nd. Contact Sharon Sorensen at 382-7543 with any questions.
Upcoming Events/Announcements and Other Opportunities
- Lunch Bunch is Wednesday July 13th 12:00 pm at First-Faith UMC. Come join us for this fun potluck!
- Did you go to camp as a kid? Did you have a blast? Help us give our youth those same experiences. We have youth that would like to go but funds are short. If you feel called to sponsor a camper this summer please contact Sebrina at the Trinity office. Thank you for your continued support of our youth.
- Have you considered traveling to the Holy Land? Pastors Russ and Trudy invite you to join them on a 10-day journey throughout the Holy Land, March 20-29, 2017. We will follow in the footsteps of Jesus as we explore places such as the Sea of Galilee, Bethlehem, and Jerusalem. The Holy Land is claimed to be the “Fifth Gospel” as it brings to life all you have ever read. If you are interested, please, visit with Pastor Russ or Pastor Trudy, or pick up a brochure. Come, experience this once in a life time, life changing, journey as we see the Bible come to life!
- Peggy Helms is leading a craft making group every third Tuesday of the month from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm at First-Faith UMC. Bring your own crafts to work on or Peggy will have some projects available. The group is getting a head start on making items for the November craft fair. Their next meeting is July 19th.
- NAMI Support Group meets the 1st and 3rd Fridays of the month from 6:30-7:30 pm at the Trinity House.
- The First-Faith sewing group is asking for donations of gently used or new baby items to be given to our local WIC office. Items needed include: booties, bibs, blankets, hats, and burp cloths. Please deposit donations in the bin located in the Narthex.
- First-Faith is beginning an educational partnership with Engleman Elementary. We are taking the first steps by supporting new teachers by helping them build their classroom libraries and supply of board games to be used for indoor recess. Gently used children’s books and board games for elementary age children can be donated. Please bring them to First-Faith.
- Food For Thought Backpacks at Trinity: We have a great opportunity to help those in need right here in our area. We have bags and lists that you can easily take and fill for the families we support at Howard. Pick up a bag and a list, fill it up, and bring it back to the church office. If you would like more information, call Sebrina at 382-1952.
- On the first Sunday of the month it is “Food Pantry Sunday” at First-Faith and Trinity! At First-Faith donations can be placed in the “Food Pantry Grocery Cart” in Fellowship Hall at any time.
- Noah’s Ark Wish List: Mulch for the playground! Contact April at Noah’s Ark. Thank you all for your continued support!
- Prayer Shawls are available at both First-Faith and Trinity to anyone in need. If you would like to become a part of the UM4GI Prayer Shawl ministry, join them in the Trinity UMC Gathering Place on Thursday nights at 6:30pm. (They will even teach you how to make them!) Contact Linda Harris at 227-1286 for more information.
- ESL classes will resume in the fall.
Online Giving Options
- Follow this link to contribute to Trinity financially.
- Follow this link to contribute to First-Faith financially.