Here’s a quick look at UM4GI events this week for May 31st – June 7th as well as this weekend’s preaching schedule!
- First-Faith UMC – Sunday June 5th, fresh from Topeka, Glenda Vetter and Pastor Trudy will provide updates from the Great Plains Annual Conference as well as May’s General Conference.
- Trinity UMC – Saturday June 4th & Sunday June 5th Rev. Theresa’s final weekend with Trinity UMC “Endings and Beginnings” Scriptures: Genesis 1 and John 1. Join us at 2 pm on June 5th in Miller Hall for her retirement reception.
- As we head into this time of pastoral transition there can be many conflicting feelings. The Great Plains district website has great resources to help in this changing time. Visit here to find these resources.
- Here is the latest newsletter for the month of May/June.
Bible Studies and Small Groups:
- “What Is the Holy Spirit” join Pastor Russ for this study. It is held on Tuesdays at 1:00pm in the Youth Room.
- First-Faith Adult Sunday School class will meet Sundays at 10:45am in the Fireside Room. On Sunday, April 24th they will be starting a new study by Rick Warren entitled “The Habits of Happiness.” This 6-week study teaches exercises for a happy heart and offers biblically-based ways to develop a perspective of contentment. Participants will learn how to:
- cultivate the transformational habits of gratitude, forgiveness, humility and contentment
- relieve stress and conflict by staying focused on their God-given purpose
- stop comparing themselves to others
- release the pain of past hurts
- grow deeper in their relationship with Jesus
- The Young Adults at First-Faith UMC will resume in the fall.
- Alan & Gena Hess are hosting a 10 week summer study Thursday evenings at their home 7:00 p.m. to 8:15 p.m. starting June 2nd. The video and book study is “True Spirituality: Becoming a Romans 12 Christian” by Chip Ingram. We will examine the principles and practices of a Christian as described in Romans 12. Call Gena @ 308-737-0126 with questions and to R.S.V.P. for this study.
- Women of Faith will be taking the month of May off. They will start back up on Monday, June 6th. Women of Faith will meet at 5:30 PM in Room 1 at First-Faith United Methodist Church during the summer months. More information will be coming detailing the new study beginning in June.
- Wednesday afternoon Book Study at 1:30pm in the Fireside Room at First Faith they will be studying “Jesus’ Parables About Discipleship” by James W. Moore.
- ReCharge young adult group is held in the Trinity Church Conference Room from 6:30-8pm on Wednesdays.
- Mom’s Group will resume in the fall! Have a fantastic summer!
- Registration is now open for Cave Quest VBS @ Trinity sign up online here or stop by the church office. Registration is $10.00 for each child age 4 to 5th grade. Scholarships are available for anyone who needs assistance with registration. It will be held Monday July 11th – Friday July 15th with kids singing on Sunday July 17th at the 11:00 a.m. service.
- Surf’s up! Registration is now open for this Surf Shack VBS @ First-Faith! It is Sunday July 17th to Friday July 22nd, with the program on Friday with ice cream to follow. The cost is $7.50 per child or a family fee of $20. Children Preschool to 5th grade are welcome to attend and have fun. Scholarships are available for anyone who is not able to afford registration. Download & print the registration here & return to the church office. Or pick up a form in the Narthex at the church.
Youth Activities at UM4GI
- Footprints Youth: Keep an eye out for more info on our fun summer gatherings Bible n’ BBQ!
- United Methodist Youth Fellowship: will resume in the fall! Enjoy summer break!
- Zone: will resume in the fall! Have a blast this summer!
- Sudanese Youth: continues to meet Sundays at Trinity at 1pm in the Gathering Place.
This Week’s Announcements
- You are invited to a Retirement Celebration on June 5 at 2:00 p.m. for Theresa Mason in Miller Hall at Trinity United Methodist Church, 511 N. Elm St., Grand Island, NE. On June 5, Theresa retires from Trinity UMC as senior pastor and part of UM4GI pastoral staff; and over 40 years of ministry as a pastor in California; as Chaplain and Associate Professor of Religion at Hamline University in St. Paul, MN; Earthen Pot Theater; and as pastor of Wood River and Alda, UMC in Nebraska. Come join the celebration.
The First-Faith Concession Stand needs helpers for this Thursday (June 2nd) and for the make up game this Friday (June 3rd). Please call Joyce McKinny (308-390-5975) or the church office if you have time to help. This is a very important ministry for our church and all proceeds go to our annual mission shares to the conference.
- ESL classes are held in the Gathering Place at Trinity on Monday evenings at 7.
Upcoming Events/Announcements and Other Opportunities
- Called UM4GI Charge Conference set for June 13, 2016 to be held at First-Faith at 7:00 pm. This called Charge Conference will be for members of both First-Faith’s and Trinity’s Administrative Councils to vote on the proposed changes to the financial and administration side of the UM4GI Parish.
- Join First-Faith UMC Sunday June 12th as we Worship in the Park at George Park @ 11:00 am. We will worship and then have fun and fellowship after. Last names A-L bring a side and M-Z bring a dessert, fried chicken will be provided. *In the event of rain we will worship at 11:00 at the church will potluck and inside games to follow.
- Come support our youth campers as they fill up your tank & pamper your vehicle. They are having a donation driven fundraiser at the Hy-Vee Gas Station 118 Wilmar Ave, Saturday June 11th from 9 am to 12 to raise funds for camp.
- Did you go to camp as a kid? Did you have a blast? Help us give our youth those same experiences. We have youth that would like to go but funds are short. If you feel called to sponsor a camper this summer please contact Sebrina at the Trinity office. Thank you for your continued support of our youth.
- Have you considered traveling to the Holy Land? Pastors Russ and Trudy invite you to join them on a 10-day journey throughout the Holy Land, March 20-29, 2017. We will follow in the footsteps of Jesus as we explore places such as the Sea of Galilee, Bethlehem, and Jerusalem. The Holy Land is claimed to be the “Fifth Gospel” as it brings to life all you have ever read. If you are interested, please, visit with Pastor Russ or Pastor Trudy, or pick up a brochure. Come, experience this once in a life time, life changing, journey as we see the Bible come to life!
- First-Faith UMC’s new single’s group SPARCC (Single People Achieving Real Christian Connections) will get together on Saturday, June 11th from 7:00 – 9:30 PM in the Fellowship Hall of First-Faith UMC for an evening of games and snacks. Singles of all ages are invited to attend!
- Lunch Bunch is Wednesday June 8th 12:00pm at First-Faith UMC. Come join us for this fun potluck!
- Peggy Helms is leading a craft making group every third Tuesday of the month from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm at First-Faith UMC. Bring your own crafts to work on or Peggy will have some projects available. The group is getting a head start on making items for the November craft fair. Their next meeting is June 21st.
- Refresh! Free, quality childcare will be available at First-Faith UMC every 2nd and 4th Wednesdays from 9 am – 11:30 am so that moms can run errands or take a break and relax! The next Refresh! will be Wednesday, June 8th. Contact Sharon Sorensen at 382-7543 with any questions.
- NAMI Support Group meets the 1st and 3rd Fridays of the month from 6:30-7:30pm at the Trinity House.
- The First-Faith sewing group is asking for donations of gently used or new baby items to be given to our local WIC office. Items needed include: booties, bibs, blankets, hats, and burp cloths. Please deposit donations in the bin located in the Narthex.
- First-Faith is beginning an educational partnership with Engleman Elementary. We are taking the first steps by supporting new teachers by helping them build their classroom libraries and supply of board games to be used for indoor recess. Gently used children’s books and board games for elementary age children can be donated. Please bring them to First-Faith.
- Food For Thought Backpacks at Trinity: We have a great opportunity to help those in need right here in our area. We have bags and lists that you can easily take and fill for the families we support at Howard. Pick up a bag and a list, fill it up, and bring it back to the church office. If you would like more information, call Sebrina at 382-1952.
- On the first Sunday of the month it is “Food Pantry Sunday” at First-Faith and Trinity! At First-Faith donations can be placed in the “Food Pantry Grocery Cart” in Fellowship Hall at any time.
- Noah’s Ark Wish List: Mulch for the playground! Contact April at Noah’s Ark. Thank you all for your continued support!
- Prayer Shawls are available at both First-Faith and Trinity to anyone in need. If you would like to become a part of the UM4GI Prayer Shawl ministry, join them in the Trinity UMC Gathering Place on Thursday nights at 6:30pm. (They will even teach you how to make them!) Contact Linda Harris at 227-1286 for more information.
Online Giving Options
- Follow this link to contribute to Trinity financially.
- Follow this link to contribute to First-Faith financially.