Here’s a quick look at UM4GI events this week for May 20th – May 27th, as well as this weekend’s preaching schedule!
This Week’s Events/Announcements
- Wear Red May 24 is the Festival of Pentecost. Everyone is invited to wear red at all the services on Saturday and Sunday, May 23 and 24. Being Nebraskans, most people have at least something that is red. Red symbolizes the power of the Holy Spirit coming after Jesus’ resurrection and started the church.
- May 17th will be the last day of Sunday School at First-Faith UMC. Thank you to everyone for making it a great year! Join us for a “Sunday School Finale” with games.ESL Classes Need Volunteers! The ESL classes that meet Mondays at 7:00 p.m. in Trinity‘s Gathering Place is looking for volunteers. You do not speak to speak Spanish to help out, and there are a variety of needs to be filled. Please contact Priscilla Hormachea at 850-5786 or Sarah Fowler if you are interested in helping.
- Noah’s Ark will be having a Little Cesar’s fundraiser from May 18th-May31. They will have a table set up in the Gathering Place between services on May 24th and 31st for anyone interested in participating.If you would like to donate to support the disaster relief efforts in Nepal in response to the recent earthquake, please annotate “Nepal’ in the memo box for any checks or donations during offering.
- Refresh! Free, quality childcare will be available at First-Faith UMC on May 27th from 9 am – 11:30 am so that moms can run errands or take a break and relax! Contact Sharon Sorensen at 382-7543 with any questions.
- Noah’s Ark is in need of Kleenex, Clorox Wipes, Post It Notes, Phone Message books, Command Strips, Sticky Tak, construction paper, outlet covers, Legos for both girls and boys, board games for school age children, and could even use a digital camera if someone has one to donate! You can drop off these items at Trinity UMC. Thank you!
- UM4GI’s Prayers Shawl ministry continues. If you would like to learn how to make a prayer shawl or make them with others, come to Trinity UMC Gathering Place on Thursday Nights at 6:30 pm. Contact Linda Harris at 227-1286 for more information.
- Register to participate in First-Faith UMC‘s Dinner for Fun events to be held throughout 2015. Dinner for Fun 2015 is coming! Dinner 4 Fun is people sharing a meal, making new friends, renewing old friendships, and getting to know one another. It is for singles, couples and families. Do you like to cook? OK! If you don’t like to cook, deli food or take-out works also! If you can’t host or be a leader, there are other ways to share in the fun. The hope is that each group will meet together 4 times. Each group will have a leader to organize the group and keep it going, you meet when it works for your group. Your group can plan an after meal activity, such as games, visiting, watching sports, or playing cards, it is up to your group to decide. You can register at either church office or email Joyce McKinny at email@example.com with the information. Questions? Please call Joyce at 308-382-4709.
- Regular Wednesday Evening programming at Trinity UMC and First-Faith UMC (including youth groups, studies, musical groups, & more). See below for more detail!
Upcoming Events/Announcements and Other Opportunities
- First-Faith United Methodist Men’s Steak Feed! Wednesday, June 3rd, 6:30pm at Stolley Park. Tickets are $10. Please bring a side dish and your own table setting. Contact Doug Ferguson (308-383-6055), Rich McKinney (308-390-5975), Bob Trosper (384-8682), or Gaylord Jensen (308-687-6496) for tickets. All men are welcome to come out for fellowship and fun!
- Join us for a goodbye party for three of UM4GI’s Pastors: Matt Fowler, Karla Sheffy, and Darren Guthridge. An ice-cream social will be held at Hall County Park from 2-4pm on Sunday, June 14th. Come celebrate their time here and to wish them well for their future.
- Save the Date for Summer Camp at Fontanelle! Summer camp will be held June 22nd – 26th at Camp Fontanelle. Pastor Matt will dean F.R.O.G.G.E.D. camp for youth grades 9-12, and Lyz and Braden Garwood will dean F.R.O.G. camp for youth grades 5-8. The theme for this year is “Power Up!” Living in the Spirit is about learning how to live a life powered by the Holy Spirit. It is a fun way to learn how you can be a follower of Jesus Christ. Registration is due Sunday, June 14th. Scholarships will be available based upon need. Talk to Pastor Matt if you have questions.
- Join us for a goodbye party for three of UM4GI’s Pastors: Matt Fowler, Karla Sheffy, and Darren Guthridge. An ice-cream social will be held at Hall County Park from 2-4pm on Sunday, June 14th. Come celebrate their time here and to wish them well!!
- Save the date for VBS at Trinity! Join us at TUMC to conquer challenges with God’s mighty power at Vacation Bible School July 13th to July 17th (registration will take place outside the sanctuary on May 10th & 17th!) You will be able to sign up to volunteer also! Contact Sebrina at firstname.lastname@example.org or 308-383-1252 for more information.
- Save the date for VBS at First-Faith! First-Faith Vacation Bible School will be held July 20th to July 24th! Registration will start May 15th. For more information contact Randi Pennell at (308)920-0462 or email her at email@example.com.
- “Shining Light” Performing Arts Camp Monday, July 27 through Friday, July 31 from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. at Trinity United Methodist Church. The camp will be offered for all incoming 6th-12th graders. Registration will be $15, which includes a t-shirt. Registration will be on-line or may be picked up in the office. For more information, call Trinity United Methodist at 308-382-1952 . This is a community wide event!
- If you would like to contribute to a love offering for the pastors who are leaving, you may send it to First-Faith or Trinity. You may designate your gift as you choose.
- Publications is currently updating addresses for those who live in skilled care or a nursing home. If you or a loved one lives in skilled care or a nursing home, please notify either UM4GI office of any address updates or changes.
- Trinity UMC is ordering name tags! The Evangelism Committee is encouraging everyone to order their own name tag. It will help everyone feel more comfortable calling our fellow attendees by name, and our ministers can get to know our names as well. This will especially be helpful as we get new pastors! Trinity would like each congregation member, children included, to have a name tag. Trinity will be providing them at no cost to you for the first one, you can choose magnetic or pin back and a place will be provided at the church to store your name tag if you wish. You can print off a form here or email your choice of magnetic back or pin back, and how you would like your name to read on your name tag to firstname.lastname@example.org. Make sure to include all family members!
- Trinity UMW and First-Faith UMC are collecting “Box Tops for Education” and Campbell’s Labels. These labels are used to purchase educational items to support Epworth Village in York. These labels can be dropped off in the black box on the lower shelf of the UMW library corner in Trinity‘s parlor or in the green tote in Fellowship Hall at First-Faith UMC. If you are not sure which part of the label to save, drop off the entire label and it will be cut down appropriately. Thank You!
- On the first Sunday of the month, it is “Food Pantry Sunday” at First-Faith UMC! Donations can be placed in the “Food Pantry Grocery Cart” in Fellowship Hall at any time. Thank you for your support of the Grand Island Food Pantry!
- Get involved in worship services with UM4GI!
- UM4GI shirts are available in a variety of sizes and also in polo styles!