Here’s a quick look at UM4GI events this week for May 17th – May 24th as well as this weekend’s preaching schedule!
General Conference 2016
- The quadrennial General Conference has begun in Portland, OR. This is a very important time for The United Methodist Church and many important decisions will be made. Please be in prayer for all the delegates that are involved in the decision making process. You can find more information on General Conference 2016 here.
- The Upper Room has created resources for 60 Days of Prayer to help local congregations pray with the delegates & church leaders of the 2016 General Conference. The 60 days of prayer begin March 31 and extends through May 29. Visit http://www.60daysofprayer.org for more information.
- First-Faith UMC – This Sunday May 22nd is Trinity Sunday. Alex Hull brings the message about God’s gifting of the Spirit of Truth to remind us of all that Jesus has taught us from John 15: 26-16:15. Please consider your special offering for Peace with Justice.
- Trinity UMC – Saturday May 21st & Sunday May 22nd Trinity Sunday/Heritage Sunday/Peace with Justice Sunday Scripture: Proverbs 8: 1-4; 22-31, John 16: 12-15 Rev. Theresa Mason preaching first of two part series on the United Methodist Church: “Give Me Your Hand” The General Conference of the United Methodist Church will meet, worship, and make legislation decisions May 10-20. So what does it mean to be United Methodist? What do the decisions made at General Conference mean, including ones we may disagree with? Wear your picnic clothes because we have the Sunday School Picnic at Noon @ Grace Abbott Park (Miller Hall if it rains) At 9:30 a.m. the Trinity Bells will be playing
Bible Studies and Small Groups:
- “What Is the Holy Spirit” join Pastor Russ for this study. It is held on Tuesdays at 1:00pm in the Youth Room.
- First-Faith Adult Sunday School class will meet Sundays at 10:45am in the Fireside Room. On Sunday, April 24th they will be starting a new study by Rick Warren entitled “The Habits of Happiness.” This 6-week study teaches exercises for a happy heart and offers biblically-based ways to develop a perspective of contentment. Participants will learn how to:
- cultivate the transformational habits of gratitude, forgiveness, humility and contentment
- relieve stress and conflict by staying focused on their God-given purpose
- stop comparing themselves to others
- release the pain of past hurts
- grow deeper in their relationship with Jesus
- The Young Adults at First-Faith UMC will meet Sundays at 10:45 am. They are studying “24 Hours That Changed the World” The study is guided by Lacey Follmer and will meet in Room C.
- Alan & Gena Hess are hosting a 10 week summer study Thursday evenings at their home 7:00 p.m. to 8:15 p.m. starting June 2nd. The video and book study is “True Spirituality: Becoming a Romans 12 Christian” by Chip Ingram. We will examine the principles and practices of a Christian as described in Romans 12. Call Gena @ 308-737-0126 with questions and to R.S.V.P. for this study.
- Women of Faith will be taking the month of May off. They will start back up on Monday, June 6th. Women of Faith will meet at 5:30 PM in Room 1 at First-Faith United Methodist Church during the summer months. More information will be coming detailing the new study beginning in June.
- Wednesday afternoon Book Study at 1:30pm in the Fireside Room at First Faith they will be studying “Jesus’ Parables About Discipleship” by James W. Moore.
- ReCharge young adult group is held in the Trinity Church Conference Room from 6:30-8pm on Wednesdays.
- Mom’s Group will resume in the fall! Have a fantastic summer!
- Registration is now open for Cave Quest VBS @ Trinity sign up online here or stop by the church office. Registration is $10.00 for each child age 4 to 5th grade. Scholarships are available for anyone who needs assistance with registration. It will be held Monday July 11th – Friday July 15th with kids singing on Sunday July 17th at the 11:00 a.m. service.
- Surf’s up! Registration is now open for this Surf Shack VBS @ First-Faith! It is Sunday July 17th to Friday July 22nd, with the program on Friday with ice cream to follow. The cost is $7.50 per child or a family fee of $20. Children Preschool to 5th grade are welcome to attend and have fun. Scholarships are available for anyone who is not able to afford registration. Contact the church office for registration
Youth Activities at UM4GI
- Footprints Youth: The last night for Footprints is Sunday May 22nd! Keep an eye out for more info on our fun summer gatherings Bible n’ BBQ!
- United Methodist Youth Fellowship: will resume in the fall! Enjoy summer break!
- Zone: will resume in the fall! Have a blast this summer!
- Sudanese Youth: continues to meet Sundays at Trinity at 1pm in the Gathering Place.
This Week’s Announcements
- Tonight May 17th @ 6:30 @ Trinity in Gollaher Chapel there will be an informational meeting for the Holy Land Exploration Tour. There will also be a gathering tomorrow May 18th @ 6:30 @ First-Faith. Have you considered traveling to the Holy Land? Pastors Russ and Trudy invite you to join them on a 10-day journey throughout the Holy Land, March 20-29, 2017. We will follow in the footsteps of Jesus as we explore places such as the Sea of Galilee, Bethlehem, and Jerusalem. The Holy Land is claimed to be the “Fifth Gospel” as it brings to life all you have ever read. If you are interested, please, visit with Pastor Russ or Pastor Trudy, or pick up a brochure. Come, experience this once in a life time, life changing, journey as we see the Bible come to life!
- This is the last week to turn in your Campbell’s Labels for Education Labels! Trinity and First-Faith United Methodist Women are collecting “Box Tops for Education” and Campbell’s Labels for Education. Campbell’s is winding down their Labels for Education program. Please turn in any Campbell’s labels you have before May 25, 2016 so we can help Epworth Village meet their goal of 1.6 million. If they meet this goal they will be eligible for a new mini-van! These labels can be dropped off in the black box on the lower shelf of the UMW library corner in Trinity‘s parlor or in the green tote in Fellowship Hall at First-Faith UMC. If you are not sure which part of the label to save, drop off the entire label and it will be cut down appropriately. If you have any questions contact Virginia White at 675-1063 Thank You!
- ESL classes are held in the Gathering Place at Trinity on Monday evenings at 7.
- Lunch Bunch is Wednesday May 11th 12:00pm at First-Faith UMC. Come join us for this fun potluck!
Upcoming Events/Announcements and Other Opportunities
- Join us Friday May 27th at Trinity UMC at Noon in the Gathering Place to hear from Simon Mufundar, Lay leader for the Zimbabwe East Annual Conference, as he shares on the ministry and partnership with Great Plains. The church in Zimbabwe is growing and presenting a lot of ministry opportunities. He will also be sharing on how they do ministry and the joys of seeing others partaking in the means of grace and growing in maturity in their faith. Please RSVP with Susan at Trinity by May 23rd. A light lunch will be served.
- Peggy Helms is leading a craft making group every third Tuesday of the month from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm at First-Faith UMC. Bring your own crafts to work on or Peggy will have some projects available. The group is getting a head start on making items for the November craft fair. Their next meeting is May 17th.
- Refresh! Free, quality childcare will be available at First-Faith UMC every 2nd and 4th Wednesdays from 9 am – 11:30 am so that moms can run errands or take a break and relax! The next Refresh! will be Wednesday, May 25th. Contact Sharon Sorensen at 382-7543 with any questions.
- NAMI Support Group meets the 1st and 3rd Fridays of the month from 6:30-7:30pm at the Trinity House.
- The First-Faith sewing group is asking for donations of gently used or new baby items to be given to our local WIC office. Items needed include: booties, bibs, blankets, hats, and burp cloths. Please deposit donations in the bin located in the Narthex.
- First-Faith is beginning an educational partnership with Engleman Elementary. We are taking the first steps by supporting new teachers by helping them build their classroom libraries and supply of board games to be used for indoor recess. Gently used children’s books and board games for elementary age children can be donated. Please bring them to First-Faith.
- Food For Thought Backpacks at Trinity: We have a great opportunity to help those in need right here in our area. We have bags and lists that you can easily take and fill for the families we support at Howard. Pick up a bag and a list, fill it up, and bring it back to the church office. If you would like more information, call Sebrina at 382-1952.
- On the first Sunday of the month it is “Food Pantry Sunday” at First-Faith and Trinity! At First-Faith donations can be placed in the “Food Pantry Grocery Cart” in Fellowship Hall at any time.
- Noah’s Ark Wish List: Mulch for the playground! Contact April at Noah’s Ark. Thank you all for your continued support!
- Prayer Shawls are available at both First-Faith and Trinity to anyone in need. If you would like to become a part of the UM4GI Prayer Shawl ministry, join them in the Trinity UMC Gathering Place on Thursday nights at 6:30pm. (They will even teach you how to make them!) Contact Linda Harris at 227-1286 for more information.
Online Giving Options
- Follow this link to contribute to Trinity financially.
- Follow this link to contribute to First-Faith financially.