Here’s a quick look at UM4GI events this week for May 10th – May 17th as well as this weekend’s preaching schedule!
General Conference 2016
- The quadrennial General Conference has begun in Portland, OR. This is a very important time for The United Methodist Church and many important decisions will be made. Please be in prayer for all the delegates that are involved in the decision making process. You can find more information on General Conference 2016 here.
- The Upper Room has created resources for 60 Days of Prayer to help local congregations pray with the delegates & church leaders of the 2016 General Conference. The 60 days of prayer begin March 31 and extends through May 29. Visit http://www.60daysofprayer.org for more information.
- First-Faith UMC – This Sunday May 15th is Pentecost Sunday! This will be an exciting day in the church as we welcome Jaden Dexter, Jarod Kolar, & Hayden Moural into the church as they make their public professions of faith. After church there will be a potluck meal to honor our three confirmands. The United Methodist Men will be providing a ham for the meal so bring your sides and desserts to share. There will also be a cake to celebrate. Plan to stay after worship and enjoy a great variety of food.
- Trinity UMC – Saturday May 14th & Sunday May 15th This Sunday is Pentecost Sunday—Wear Red. Hey Husker Fans—we know you’ve got red clothes out there. Wear them on Pentecost Sunday to help us celebrate the Holy Spirits coming with fire and wind. Rev. Theresa Mason preaching: “Your Sons and Daughters” Scripture: Acts 2: 1-21, John 14: 8-17 9:30 High School Senior Sunday: We will honor our graduating high school seniors. This Sunday will be the last Sunday that the choir will sing until the fall. 11:00 Our Confirmands will confirm their faith (see article about our confirmands)
Bible Studies and Small Groups:
- “What Is the Holy Spirit” join Pastor Russ for this study. It is held on Tuesdays at 1:00pm in the Youth Room.
- “Job: Coping with Suffering” The class is held on Wednesdays at 9:30am in the Youth Room. Led by Pastor Theresa.
- First-Faith Adult Sunday School class will meet Sundays at 10:45am in the Fireside Room. On Sunday, April 24th they will be starting a new study by Rick Warren entitled “The Habits of Happiness.” This 6-week study teaches exercises for a happy heart and offers biblically-based ways to develop a perspective of contentment. Participants will learn how to:
- cultivate the transformational habits of gratitude, forgiveness, humility and contentment
- relieve stress and conflict by staying focused on their God-given purpose
- stop comparing themselves to others
- release the pain of past hurts
- grow deeper in their relationship with Jesus
- The Young Adults at First-Faith UMC will meet Sundays at 10:45 am. They are studying “24 Hours That Changed the World” The study is guided by Lacey Follmer and will meet in Room C.
- Women of Faith will be taking the month of May off. They will start back up on Monday, June 6th. Women of Faith will meet at 5:30 PM in Room 1 at First-Faith United Methodist Church during the summer months. More information will be coming detailing the new study beginning in June.
- Wednesday afternoon Book Study at 1:30pm in the Fireside Room at First Faith they will be studying “Jesus’ Parables About Discipleship” by James W. Moore.
- ReCharge young adult group is held in the Trinity Church Conference Room from 6:30-8pm on Wednesdays.
- Mom’s Group meets Wednesdays in the parlor at 6:30-7:30 pm at Trinity. All mom’s are welcome to attend. They are currently studying “Rediscover Jesus” by Matthew Kelly. Nursery is available during this time for children too young for Zone.
Youth Activities at UM4GI
- Footprints Youth: Held Sunday evenings from 5:45-7:30pm at First-Faith. Starting with a meal and will continue with worship and fellowship. All youth 6th-12th grades are welcome. The last night for Footprints is Sunday May 22nd!
- United Methodist Youth Fellowship: Held on Wednesdays from 6:30-8:00pm at Trinity on the 3rd floor. All youth grades 6th-12th grades are welcome to attend. The last night for Youth Fellowship is on Wednesday May 11th!
- Zone: Held Wednesday evenings from 6:30-7:30pm at Trinity. All youth ages K-5th grade are welcome to attend. The last night for Zone! for the summer is Wednesday May 11th.
- Sudanese Youth: continues to meet Sundays at Trinity at 1pm in the Gathering Place.
This Week’s Announcements
- ESL classes are held in the Gathering Place at Trinity on Monday evenings at 7.
- Refresh! Free, quality childcare will be available at First-Faith UMC every 2nd and 4th Wednesdays from 9 am – 11:30 am so that moms can run errands or take a break and relax! The next Refresh! will be Wednesday, May 11th. Contact Sharon Sorensen at 382-7543 with any questions.
Upcoming Events/Announcements and Other Opportunities
- Lunch Bunch is Wednesday May 11th 12:00pm at First-Faith UMC. Come join us for this fun potluck!
- Peggy Helms is leading a craft making group every third Tuesday of the month from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm at First-Faith UMC. Bring your own crafts to work on or Peggy will have some projects available. The group is getting a head start on making items for the November craft fair. Their next meeting is May 17th.
- NAMI Support Group meets the 1st and 3rd Fridays of the month from 6:30-7:30pm at the Trinity House.
- The First-Faith sewing group is asking for donations of gently used or new baby items to be given to our local WIC office. Items needed include: booties, bibs, blankets, hats, and burp cloths. Please deposit donations in the bin located in the Narthex.
- Trinity and First-Faith United Methodist Women are collecting “Box Tops for Education” and Campbell’s Labels for Education. Campbell’s is winding down their Labels for Education program. Please turn in any Campbell’s labels you have before May 25, 2016 so we can help Epworth Village meet their goal of 1.6 million. If they meet this goal they will be eligible for a new mini-van! These labels can be dropped off in the black box on the lower shelf of the UMW library corner in Trinity‘s parlor or in the green tote in Fellowship Hall at First-Faith UMC. If you are not sure which part of the label to save, drop off the entire label and it will be cut down appropriately. If you have any questions contact Virginia White at 675-1063 Thank You!
- First-Faith is beginning an educational partnership with Engleman Elementary. We are taking the first steps by supporting new teachers by helping them build their classroom libraries and supply of board games to be used for indoor recess. Gently used children’s books and board games for elementary age children can be donated. Please bring them to First-Faith
- Food For Thought Backpacks at Trinity: We have a great opportunity to help those in need right here in our area. We have bags and lists that you can easily take and fill for the families we support at Howard. Pick up a bag and a list, fill it up, and bring it back to the church office. If you would like more information, call Sebrina at 382-1952.
- On the first Sunday of the month it is “Food Pantry Sunday” at First-Faith and Trinity! At First-Faith donations can be placed in the “Food Pantry Grocery Cart” in Fellowship Hall at any time.
- Noah’s Ark Wish List: Mulch for the playground! Contact April at Noah’s Ark. Thank you all for your continued support!
- Prayer Shawls are available at both First-Faith and Trinity to anyone in need. If you would like to become a part of the UM4GI Prayer Shawl ministry, join them in the Trinity UMC Gathering Place on Thursday nights at 6:30pm. (They will even teach you how to make them!) Contact Linda Harris at 227-1286 for more information.
Online Giving Options
- Follow this link to contribute to Trinity financially.
- Follow this link to contribute to First-Faith financially.