Here’s a quick look at UM4GI events this week for April 19th – April 26th as well as this weekend’s preaching schedule!
- First-Faith UMC – This Sunday April 24th Pastor Trudy brings the final message in her “3 Simple Rules” Worship Series: “Stay in Love with God” Come hear how John Wesley’s means of grace help us connect to and grow in God’s love as we continue to live as resurrection people. We will also receive a special offering for Native American Sunday.
- Trinity UMC – Saturday April 23rd & Sunday April 24th Rev. Theresa Mason is preaching the third in her sermon series “New Life-For Everyone” Bobby White will be singing at the 6:00 & 9:30 services. At 9:30 the Special Needs Confirmation Class, which has been preparing for this special day since September will be confirming their faith. The chancel choir will be singing “They Shall Love” and we will commission the VIM Team before they leave for their mission trip to Colorado. At 11:00 the children from Noah’s Ark will be singing. Crosspoint will be singing “I Refuse”
Bible Studies and Small Groups:
- The Upper Room has created resources for 60 Days of Prayer to help local congregations pray with the delegates & church leaders of the 2016 General Conference. The 60 days of prayer begin March 31 and extends through May 29. Visit http://www.60daysofprayer.org for more information.
- “What Is the Holy Spirit” Beginning Tuesday April 5th join Pastor Russ for this new study. It is held on Tuesdays at 1:00pm in the Youth Room.
- “Job: Coping with Suffering” A new study starting Wednesday April 20th. The class is held on Wednesdays at 9:30am in the Youth Room. Led by Pastor Theresa.
- First-Faith Adult Sunday School class will meet Sundays at 10:45am in the Fireside Room. On Sunday, April 24th they will be starting a new study by Rick Warren entitled “The Habits of Happiness.” This 6-week study teaches exercises for a happy heart and offers biblically-based ways to develop a perspective of contentment. Participants will learn how to:
- cultivate the transformational habits of gratitude, forgiveness, humility and contentment
- relieve stress and conflict by staying focused on their God-given purpose
- stop comparing themselves to others
- release the pain of past hurts
- grow deeper in their relationship with Jesus
- The Young Adults at First-Faith UMC will meet Sundays at 10:45 am. They are studying “24 Hours That Changed the World” The study is guided by Lacey Follmer and will meet in Room C.
- Women of Faith will start studying a new book on Mondays at 5:30pm titled “The Girl’s Still Got It: Take a Walk With Ruth and the God Who Rocked Her World.” by Liz Curtis Higgs. Contact Sharon Sorensen with any questions.
- “When All Else Fails Read the Instructions” book study by James W. Moore will be held Wednesday afternoons at 1:30pm in the Fireside Room at First Faith.
- ReCharge young adult group is held in the Trinity Church Conference Room from 6:30-8pm on Wednesdays.
- Mom’s Group meets Wednesdays in the parlor at 6:30-7:30 pm at Trinity. All mom’s are welcome to attend. They are currently studying “Rediscover Jesus” by Matthew Kelly. Nursery is available during this time for children too young for Zone.
Youth Activities at UM4GI
- Footprints Youth: Held Sunday evenings from 5:45-7:30pm at First-Faith. Starting with a meal and will continue with worship and fellowship. All youth 6th-12th grades are welcome.
- United Methodist Youth Fellowship: Held on Wednesdays from 6:30-8:00pm at Trinity on the 3rd floor. All youth grades 6th-12th grades are welcome to attend.
- Zone: Held Wednesday evenings from 6:30-7:30pm at Trinity. All youth ages K-5th grade are welcome to attend.
- Sudanese Youth: continues to meet Sundays at Trinity at 1pm in the Gathering Place.
This Week’s Announcements
- “Hunger is Not a Game” The Trinity Missions Committee is sponsoring this event relating to hunger in our town, our country and our world. A light supper (free will offering) will be served from 5:30 to 6:30 and several games related to feeding hungry people will begin at 6:00 to 7:30 on Wednesday April 20 in Miller Hall. There are activities for all ages so be sure to bring your family. Hope to see you there!
- ESL classes are held in the Gathering Place at Trinity on Monday evenings at 7.
Upcoming Events/Announcements and Other Opportunities
- Prime Timers! Come share in games and dinner on Tuesday, May 17th at 10:00 am in Trinity’s Miller Hall. Please sign up by May 13th in the church offices.
- Lunch Bunch is Wednesday May 11th 12:00pm at First-Faith UMC. Come join us for this fun potluck!
- Refresh! Free, quality childcare will be available at First-Faith UMC every 2nd and 4th Wednesdays from 9 am – 11:30 am so that moms can run errands or take a break and relax! The next Refresh! will be Wednesday, April 27th. Contact Sharon Sorensen at 382-7543 with any questions.
- Mobile giving is live at First-Faith! Text FFUMC to 77977 and follow the link or download the First-Faith app in the Apple or Google Play store.
- Peggy Helms is leading a craft making group every third Tuesday of the month from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm at First-Faith UMC. Bring your own crafts to work on or Peggy will have some projects available. The group is getting a head start on making items for the November craft fair. Their next meeting is May 17th.
- NAMI Support Group meets the 1st and 3rd Fridays of the month from 6:30-7:30pm at the Trinity House.
- The First-Faith sewing group is asking for donations of gently used or new baby items to be given to our local WIC office. Items needed include: booties, bibs, blankets, hats, and burp cloths. Please deposit donations in the bin located in the Narthex.
- Trinity and First-Faith United Methodist Women are collecting “Box Tops for Education” and Campbell’s Labels for Education. Campbell’s is winding down their Labels for Education program. Please turn in any Campbell’s labels you have before May 25, 2016 so we can help Epworth Village meet their goal of 1.6 million. If they meet this goal they will be eligible for a new mini-van! These labels can be dropped off in the black box on the lower shelf of the UMW library corner in Trinity‘s parlor or in the green tote in Fellowship Hall at First-Faith UMC. If you are not sure which part of the label to save, drop off the entire label and it will be cut down appropriately. If you have any questions contact Virginia White at 675-1063 Thank You!
- First-Faith is beginning an educational partnership with Engleman Elementary. We are taking the first steps by supporting new teachers by helping them build their classroom libraries and supply of board games to be used for indoor recess. Gently used children’s books and board games for elementary age children can be donated. Please bring them to First-Faith
- Food For Thought Backpacks at Trinity: We have a great opportunity to help those in need right here in our area. We have bags and lists that you can easily take and fill for the families we support at Howard. Pick up a bag and a list, fill it up, and bring it back to the church office. If you would like more information, call Sebrina at 382-1952.
- On the first Sunday of the month it is “Food Pantry Sunday” at First-Faith and Trinity! At First-Faith donations can be placed in the “Food Pantry Grocery Cart” in Fellowship Hall at any time.
- Noah’s Ark Wish List: Mulch for the playground! Contact April at Noah’s Ark. Thank you all for your continued support!
- Prayer Shawls are available at both First-Faith and Trinity to anyone in need. If you would like to become a part of the UM4GI Prayer Shawl ministry, join them in the Trinity UMC Gathering Place on Thursday nights at 6:30pm. (They will even teach you how to make them!) Contact Linda Harris at 227-1286 for more information.