Here’s a quick look at UM4GI events this week for April 12th – April 19th as well as this weekend’s preaching schedule!
- First-Faith UMC – This Sunday April 17th Pastor Trudy preaches on “Do Good” the second lesson in the worship series “Three Simple Rules”
- Trinity UMC – This Saturday April 16th and Sunday April 17th Pastor Russ leads worship service.
Bible Studies and Small Groups:
- The Upper Room has created resources for 60 Days of Prayer to help local congregations pray with the delegates & church leaders of the 2016 General Conference. The 60 days of prayer begin March 31 and extends through May 29. Visit http://www.60daysofprayer.org for more information.
- “What Is the Holy Spirit” Beginning Tuesday April 5th join Pastor Russ for this new study. It is held on Tuesdays at 1:00pm in the Youth Room.
- “Paradise and Pentecost: after the Resurrection ” A new study starting Wednesday April 6th. The class is held on Wednesdays at 9:30am in the Youth Room. This class will complete on April 13th. Led by Pastor Theresa.
- Starting Wednesday April 20th join Pastor Theresa in the Youth Room at 9:30am for a new study on the book of Job.
- First-Faith Adult Sunday School class will meet Sundays at 10:45am. On Sunday, February 28 the First-Faith adult Sunday School class will be starting a DVD based series by Adam Hamilton entitled Final Words From The Cross. Rev. Hamilton examines Christ’s dying hours and his final words as seen and heard by those who stood near the cross. The session titles include:
- Father, Forgive Them
- Today You Will Be With Me in Paradise
- Behold Your Son . . . Behold Your Mother
- My God, My God, Why Have You Forsaken Me?
- I Thirst
- It Is Finished . . . Into Your Hands I Commit My Spirit
- Postscript: The Words After That (The road to Emmaus)
This class meets in the Fireside Room at 11:00 a.m. on Sunday mornings. We welcome adults of all ages to participate.
- The Young Adults at First-Faith UMC will meet Sundays at 10:45 am. They are studying “24 Hours That Changed the World” The study is guided by Lacey Follmer and will meet in Room C.
- Women of Faith will start studying a new book on Mondays at 5:30pm titled “The Girl’s Still Got It: Take a Walk With Ruth and the God Who Rocked Her World.” by Liz Curtis Higgs. Contact Sharon Sorensen with any questions.
- “When All Else Fails Read the Instructions” book study by James W. Moore will be held Wednesday afternoons at 1:30pm in the Fireside Room at First Faith.
- ReCharge young adult group is held in the Trinity Church Conference Room from 6:30-8pm on Wednesdays.
- Mom’s Group meets Wednesdays in the parlor at 6:30-7:30 pm at Trinity. All mom’s are welcome to attend. They are currently studying “Rediscover Jesus” by Matthew Kelly. Nursery is available during this time for children too young for Zone.
Youth Activities at UM4GI
- Footprints Youth: Held Sunday evenings from 5:45-7:30pm at First-Faith. Starting with a meal and will continue with worship and fellowship. All youth 6th-12th grades are welcome.
- United Methodist Youth Fellowship: Held on Wednesdays from 6:30-8:00pm at Trinity on the 3rd floor. All youth grades 6th-12th grades are welcome to attend.
- Zone: Held Wednesday evenings from 6:30-7:30pm at Trinity. All youth ages K-5th grade are welcome to attend. Starting Wednesday April 6th the Zone kids will be watching Disney Pixar’s “Inside Out”. Kid’s in grades K-5 are invited to join us for games & lessons themed around this fun movie!
- Sudanese Youth: continues to meet Sundays at Trinity at 1pm in the Gathering Place.
This Week’s Announcements
- Trinity UMW Rummage Sale is this week on Thursday April 14th 4:00pm to 7:30pm, Friday April 15th 9:00am to 6:00pm, and Saturday April 16th 8:00am to 2:00pm. 1/2 price and bag sale on Saturday. Enter through the Northeast Entrance into Miller Hall.
- The First-Faith Hospitality Committee will be finishing painting the Sunday School classrooms 2 & 3 this Wednesday at 9:00am. They will then need help putting everything back in it’s place that afternoon. The choir will be prepping the choir room after practice on Wednesday night. We still need volunteers to prime and paint Room 4. We are also needing someone to come in and clean the windows in the classrooms. Please contact Joyce McKinny at 308-390-5975 if you can offer some support for either of these tasks.
- Refresh! Free, quality childcare will be available at First-Faith UMC every 2nd and 4th Wednesdays from 9 am – 11:30 am so that moms can run errands or take a break and relax! The next Refresh! will be Wednesday, April 13th. Contact Sharon Sorensen at 382-7543 with any questions.
- Lunch Bunch is Wednesday April 13th 12:00pm at First-Faith UMC. Come join us for this fun potluck!
- ESL classes are held in the Gathering Place at Trinity on Monday evenings at 7.
Upcoming Events/Announcements and Other Opportunities
- “Hunger is Not a Game” The Trinity Missions Committee is sponsoring this event relating to hunger in our town, our country and our world. A light supper (free will offering) will be served from 5:30 to 6:30 and several games related to feeding hungry people will begin at 6:00 to 7:30 on Wednesday April 20 in Miller Hall. There are activities for all ages so be sure to bring your family. Hope to see you there!
- Mobile giving is live at First-Faith! Text FFUMC to 77977 and follow the link or download the First-Faith app in the Apple or Google Play store.
- Prime Timers! Come share in games and dinner on Tuesday, April 19th at 10:00 am in Trinity’s Miller Hall. The menu is: barbecue meatballs, scalloped potatoes, salad, and dessert. Please sign up by April 15th in the church offices.
- Peggy Helms is leading a craft making group every third Tuesday of the month from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm at First-Faith UMC. Bring your own crafts to work on or Peggy will have some projects available. The group is getting a head start on making items for the November craft fair. Their next meeting is April 19th.
- NAMI Support Group meets the 1st and 3rd Fridays of the month from 6:30-7:30pm at the Trinity House.
- The First-Faith sewing group is asking for donations of gently used or new baby items to be given to our local WIC office. Items needed include: booties, bibs, blankets, hats, and burp cloths. Please deposit donations in the bin located in the Narthex.
- Trinity and First-Faith United Methodist Women are collecting “Box Tops for Education” and Campbell’s Labels for Education. Campbell’s is winding down their Labels for Education program. Please turn in any Campbell’s labels you have before May 25, 2016 so we can help Epworth Village meet their goal of 1.6 million. If they meet this goal they will be eligible for a new mini-van! These labels can be dropped off in the black box on the lower shelf of the UMW library corner in Trinity‘s parlor or in the green tote in Fellowship Hall at First-Faith UMC. If you are not sure which part of the label to save, drop off the entire label and it will be cut down appropriately. If you have any questions contact Virginia White at 675-1063 Thank You!
- First-Faith is beginning an educational partnership with Engleman Elementary. We are taking the first steps by supporting new teachers by helping them build their classroom libraries and supply of board games to be used for indoor recess. Gently used children’s books and board games for elementary age children can be donated. Please bring them to First-Faith
- Food For Thought Backpacks at Trinity: We have a great opportunity to help those in need right here in our area. We have bags and lists that you can easily take and fill for the families we support at Howard. Pick up a bag and a list, fill it up, and bring it back to the church office. If you would like more information, call Sebrina at 382-1952.
- On the first Sunday of the month it is “Food Pantry Sunday” at First-Faith and Trinity! At First-Faith donations can be placed in the “Food Pantry Grocery Cart” in Fellowship Hall at any time.
- Noah’s Ark Wish List: Bibs made out of towels! Thank you all for your continued support!
- Prayer Shawls are available at both First-Faith and Trinity to anyone in need. If you would like to become a part of the UM4GI Prayer Shawl ministry, join them in the Trinity UMC Gathering Place on Thursday nights at 6:30pm. (They will even teach you how to make them!) Contact Linda Harris at 227-1286 for more information.