Here’s a quick look at UM4GI events this week for March 22nd – March 29th as well as this weekend’s preaching schedule!
- First-Faith UMC – Join us for Easter Sunday services on Sunday March 27th. The Easter message “Risen and On the Move” explores what it means to die to self and be raised to new life; and we will plant wheat seeds as a pledge to living into our new life in Christ.
- ~The adult Sunday School will be the only class to meet on Easter Sunday at 11:00 am, all other classes are taking the week off.~
- Trinity UMC – Saturday March 26th & Sunday March 27th Rev. Theresa Mason will preach the first sermon in a series: “New Life.” The “New Life” series for the Easter Season will celebrate the good news of God’s transformative power in Jesus’ resurrection, in our lives, in the church, and in our world. 6:00 Traditional Service in Gollaher Chapel 9:30 Traditional Service with brass music, and Trinity’s chancel choir singing “He is Risen” & “Teach Me to Fly” 11:00 Contemporary Service with Crosspoint Band singing: “Risen Today.”
Lenten Worship Schedule:
- UM4GI Maundy Thursday – Thursday March 24th 7:00pm Trinity Sanctuary – A meditative service with Taize Music, Holy Communion, and a Passion Service.
- UM4GI Good Friday – Friday March 25th 7:00pm First-Faith Sanctuary – The Stations of the Cross done in silhouettes. A moving drama that takes us along Jesus’ final trek to the cross.
- Easter Eve – Saturday March 26th 6:00pm Gollaher Chapel – Trinity
- Easter Sunday – Sunday March 27th
- 9:30am – First-Faith Sanctuary
- 9:30am & 11:00am – Trinity Sanctuary
Lenten Bible Studies
- Young Adult Class – Lacey Follmer is facilitating a Sunday morning video-study at First-Faith on the “24 Hours that Changed the World” by Adam Hamilton. Come join in the conversation as we spend the Sundays of Lent exploring the last day of Jesus’ life and discuss its continued impact on our world almost 2,000 years later. Rev. Hamilton shows us the Via Dolorosa, otherwise known as the Way of Suffering; it is the footpath of Jesus’ journey to the cross.
- “The Gift of New Creation” Alice Kistler is hosting her 34th annual Lenten study at Riverside Lodge “The Grill” 9:30am on Mondays and is led by Rev. Del Roper. Join them at 9am for coffee and at 9:30am for the lesson. Books are available in the church office or at the study.
- “John“a six-week study on the Gospel of light and life, bringing his message of hope for the season of Lent at Trinity led by Pastor Russ on Tuesdays at 1:00pm in the Youth Room. This study will begin on Tuesday February 23rd.
- “The Passion in Luke” Bible study held in the Trinity Youth Room at 9:30am on Wednesdays and led by Pastor Theresa Mason. We will explore what it says about Jesus, through a careful reading of Luke, and what it says to us as disciples of Jesus. Bring a Bible with you. This study will not meet February 17th.
Bible Studies and Small Groups:
- First-Faith Adult Sunday School class will meet Sundays at 10:45am. On Sunday, February 28 the First-Faith adult Sunday School class will be starting a DVD based series by Adam Hamilton entitled Final Words From The Cross. Rev. Hamilton examines Christ’s dying hours and his final words as seen and heard by those who stood near the cross. The session titles include:
- Father, Forgive Them
- Today You Will Be With Me in Paradise
- Behold Your Son . . . Behold Your Mother
- My God, My God, Why Have You Forsaken Me?
- I Thirst
- It Is Finished . . . Into Your Hands I Commit My Spirit
- Postscript: The Words After That (The road to Emmaus)
Our class meets in the Fireside Room at 11:00 a.m. on Sunday mornings. We welcome adults of all ages to participate.
- The Young Adults at First-Faith UMC will meet Sundays at 10:45 am. They are studying “24 Hours That Changed the World” The study is guided by Lacey Follmer and will meet in Room C.
- Women of Faith will start studying a new book on Mondays at 5:30pm titled “The Girl’s Still Got It: Take a Walk With Ruth and the God Who Rocked Her World.” by Liz Curtis Higgs. Contact Sharon Sorensen with any questions.
- “Disciple Fast Track” Bible study at First-Faith led by Pastor Trudy is held on Tuesdays at 6:45pm.
- “When All Else Fails Read the Instructions” book study by James W. Moore will be held Wednesday afternoons at 1:30pm in the Fireside Room at First Faith.
- ReCharge young adult group is held in the Trinity Church Conference Room from 6:30-8pm on Wednesdays.
- Mom’s Group meets Wednesdays in the parlor at 6:30-7:30 pm at Trinity. All mom’s are welcome to attend. They are currently studying “Rediscover Jesus” by Matthew Kelly. Nursery is available during this time for children too young for Zone.
Youth Activities at UM4GI
- Midnight Madness is coming to the Hastings YMCA Friday April 1st to Saturday April 2nd. There will be games, pizza and worship for youth 6th grade and up. We would love to take a group of youth to this awesome event! Contact Sebrina or Annette for more details and to register.
- Footprints Youth: Held Sunday evenings from 5:45-7:30pm at First-Faith. Starting with a meal and will continue with worship and fellowship. All youth 6th-12th grades are welcome.
- United Methodist Youth Fellowship: Held on Wednesdays from 6:30-8:00pm at Trinity on the 3rd floor. All youth grades 6th-12th grades are welcome to attend.
- Zone: Held Wednesday evenings from 6:30-7:30pm at Trinity. All youth ages K-5th grade are welcome to attend.
- Sudanese Youth: continues to meet Sundays at Trinity at 1pm in the Gathering Place.
- Trinity Children’s Easter Choir – Children in Preschool to 5th grade please join us on Sunday’s from 10:15 to 10:45 am in the choir room for our Easter children’s choir. Don’t forget to mark your calendar to attend Sunday April 10th! The children will be sharing their magical music!
This Week’s Announcements
- Refresh! Free, quality childcare will be available at First-Faith UMC every 2nd and 4th Wednesdays from 9 am – 11:30 am so that moms can run errands or take a break and relax! The next Refresh! will be Wednesday, March 23rd. Contact Sharon Sorensen at 382-7543 with any questions.
- ESL classes are held in the Gathering Place at Trinity on Monday evenings at 7.
Upcoming Events/Announcements and Other Opportunities
- Mobile giving is live at First-Faith! Text FFUMC to 77977 and follow the link or download the First-Faith app in the Apple or Google Play store.
- Lunch Bunch is Wednesday April 13th 12:00pm at First-Faith UMC. Come join us for this fun potluck!
- Prime Timers! Come share in games and dinner on Tuesday, April 19th at 10:00 am in Trinity’s Miller Hall. The menu will be announced soon. Please sign up by April 15th in the church offices.
- Peggy Helms is leading a craft making group every third Tuesday of the month from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm at First-Faith UMC. Bring your own crafts to work on or Peggy will have some projects available. The group is getting a head start on making items for the November craft fair. Their next meeting is April 19th.
- NAMI Support Group meets the 1st and 3rd Fridays of the month from 6:30-7:30pm at the Trinity House.
- UM4GI shirts are available in a variety of sizes and also in polo styles!
- Trinity and First-Faith United Methodist Women are collecting “Box Tops for Education” and Campbell’s Labels for Education. Campbell’s is winding down their Labels for Education program. Please turn in any Campbell’s labels you have before May 25, 2016 so we can help Epworth Village meet their goal of 1.6 million. If they meet this goal they will be eligible for a new mini-van! These labels can be dropped off in the black box on the lower shelf of the UMW library corner in Trinity‘s parlor or in the green tote in Fellowship Hall at First-Faith UMC. If you are not sure which part of the label to save, drop off the entire label and it will be cut down appropriately. If you have any questions contact Virginia White at 675-1063 Thank You!
- First-Faith is beginning an educational partnership with Engleman Elementary. We are taking the first steps by supporting new teachers by helping them build their classroom libraries and supply of board games to be used for indoor recess. Gently used children’s books and board games for elementary age children can be donated. Please bring them to First-Faith
- Food For Thought Backpacks at Trinity: We have a great opportunity to help those in need right here in our area. We have bags and lists that you can easily take and fill for the families we support at Howard. Pick up a bag and a list, fill it up, and bring it back to the church office. If you would like more information, call Sebrina at 382-1952.
- On the first Sunday of the month it is “Food Pantry Sunday” at First-Faith and Trinity! At First-Faith donations can be placed in the “Food Pantry Grocery Cart” in Fellowship Hall at any time.
- Noah’s Ark Wish List: Bibs made out of towels! Thank you all for your continued support!
- Prayer Shawls are available at both First-Faith and Trinity to anyone in need. If you would like to become a part of the UM4GI Prayer Shawl ministry, join them in the Trinity UMC Gathering Place on Thursday nights at 6:30pm. (They will even teach you how to make them!) Contact Linda Harris at 227-1286 for more information.