Here’s a quick look at UM4GI events this week for March 17th – March 24th, as well as this weekend’s preaching schedule!
This Week’s Events/Announcements
- The Rev. James Atwood will be speaking and inviting conversation among people on the topic of “Envisioning a Future without Gun Violence” at Trinity UMC on March 18th at 7:00 p.m. in The Gathering Place. You are invited to attend and join in the conversation!
- Allan and Elsie Roemmich will be celebrating their 70th Wedding Anniversary on March 18, 2015 with a card shower. If you would like to send a card, please send to 1208 N. Howard, Grand Island, NE 68803. Congratulations, Allan and Elsie!
- Draughts of Faith is this Thursday, March 19th at 8:00 pm at Nathan Detroit at 3rd and Pine. Come as you are, invite friends, and be spiritually fed!
- The 2015 UM4GI grant application is now available for High School seniors and Post High School students! Criteria considered as the grants are awarded include: Membership at Trinity or First-Faith (required), academic promise and financial need. You may download the application here and send it in electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org, or deliver to your church office by April 6th, 2015.
- Mission Trip – Spring 2015 has been set! A mission trip to Colorado is planned for April 18th – 25th. We will be working in the area of the 2014 flood, Weld County/Greeley area, Larimer County/Fort Collins area, and Boulder County/Boulder area. There is still space available if you are interested in going. Cost will be $200 – $225 per person. Scholarships are available. Please contact Carla Maurer at email@example.com or 308-383-2553.
- Donations are needed for UMCOR Mission Fun Night! UM4GI Missions Task Force is requesting donations of items for UMCOR School Kits. Kits will be assembled at the Mission Fun Night on March 25 in Trinity’s Miller Hall. Please look for displays at Trinity and First-Faith UMC. Take a card for the items you plan to donate and place the items in the container at the display. Donations are needed by Sunday, March 22nd. Monetary donations will be accepted for shipping and to purchase additional items. Please bring to either church office or designate in offering. Thank you for your assistance UM4GI Missions Task Force! Let’s show the mission spirit working through our UM4GI churches. Help donate items, then come join us on Mission Fun Night, March 25th!
- Trinity’s Children Choir practice meets on Sundays at 10:30 am in Room 8. The children will be working with our very own Dane Christensen who was just named “Outstanding Young Director of the Year for 2014” by the Nebraska Choral Directors Association! The children will be singing in church on Palm Sunday, March 29th at both the 9:30 am and 11:00 am services at Trinity. There will not be any Sunday School on Easter Sunday and children are invited to join their families for worship on April 5th.
- UM4GI’s Prayers Shawl ministry continues. If you would like to learn how to make a prayer shawl or make them with others, come to Trinity UMC Gathering Place on Thursday Nights at 6:30 pm. Contact Linda Harris at 227-1286 for more information.Register to participate in First-Faith UMC‘s Dinner for Fun events to be held throughout 2015.
- Dinner for Fun 2015 is coming! Dinner 4 Fun is people sharing a meal, making new friends, renewing old friendships, and getting to know one another. It is for singles, couples and families. Do you like to cook? OK! If you don’t like to cook, deli food or take-out works also! If you can’t host or be a leader, there are other ways to share in the fun. The hope is that each group will meet together 4 times. Each group will have a leader to organize the group and keep it going, you meet when it works for your group. Your group can plan an after meal activity, such as games, visiting, watching sports, or playing cards, it is up to your group to decide. You can register at either church office or email Joyce McKinny at firstname.lastname@example.org with the information. Questions? Please call Joyce at 308-382-4709.
- Regular Wednesday Evening programming at Trinity UMC and First-Faith UMC (including youth groups, studies, musical groups, & more). See below for more detail!
Upcoming Events/Announcements and Other Opportunities
- Refresh Childcare is Wednesday, March 25th from 9:00 – 11:30 am at First-Faith UMC. This is an opportunity for Mom’s to run errands or take a break and relax! Contact Sharon Sorensen with any questions at (308) 382-7543.
- Mission Fun Night – A Miller Hall Mission Trip! UM4GI Missions Task Force invites you to Mission Fun Night on Wednesday, March 25th in Trinity’s Miller Hall. The evening starts off with a freewill donation meal served by the VIM Mission Team from 5:30-6:30 pm, then you pick up your passport and get it stamped at each station as you participate in mission outreach! Come out and participate in this fun evening for the whole family!
- The United Methodist Men will be having their annual dinner meeting and program on Monday, March 30th at 6:30 p.m. in Trinity UMC‘s Miller Hall. The cost is $8.00 and includes the dinner of salad, meat loaf, mashed potatoes, peas, bread and chocolate cake. The speaker of the evening is Barry Carlson, who will give the message “The Sixth Sense: The Sense of Humor”. Please contact Ed Felske at (308) 382-3111 by Wednesday, March 25th to reserve your place!
- Publications is currently updating addresses for those who live in skilled care or a nursing home. If you or a loved one lives in skilled care or a nursing home, please notify either UM4GI office of any address updates or changes.
- Trinity UMC is ordering name tags! The Evangelism Committee is encouraging everyone to order their own name tag. It will help everyone feel more comfortable calling our fellow attendees by name, and our ministers can get to know our names as well. This will especially be helpful as we get new pastors! Trinity would like each congregation member, children included, to have a name tag. Trinity will be providing them at no cost to you for the first one, you can choose magnetic or pin back and a place will be provided at the church to store your name tag if you wish. You can print off a form here or email your choice of magnetic back or pin back, and how you would like your name to read on your name tag to email@example.com. Make sure to include all family members!
- Trinity UMW and First-Faith UMC are collecting “Box Tops for Education” and Campbell’s Labels. These labels are used to purchase educational items to support Epworth Village in York. These labels can be dropped off in the black box on the lower shelf of the UMW library corner in Trinity‘s parlor or in the green totes outside the sanctuary main doors at First-Faith UMC. If you are not sure which part of the label to save, drop off the entire label and it will be cut down appropriately. Thank You!
- Get involved in worship services with UM4GI!
- UM4GI shirts are available in a variety of sizes and also in polo styles!
Studies & Groups – Join one Today!
- Looking for a Small Group experience? Pastor Matt is looking for people that would like to get involved in a small group experience, not necessarily a study, but the opportunity to get together as a group and have great conversation. Contact Pastor Matt at First-Faith UMC (308) 384-5620 if this sounds like something that interests you!
- Women of Faith Study: “The Other 12 Disciples”, a study of 12 women in the Bible on Mondays at 5:30 pm at Sharon Sorensen’s House (1717 W. Charles) or call Sharon at 382-7543.
- Step Group: Mondays at 7:00 pm at First-Faith UMC. This is a closed group; please contact Pastor Matt if you are interested in this type of group.
- First-Faith Quilters and Sewers: Every 2nd and 4th Tuesday at First-Faith UMC at 9:00 am.
- Lenten Study: Wednesdays at 9:30 am in Trinity’s Youth Room with Pastor Theresa.
- Women’s Study: Wednesdays at 1:30 pm at First-Faith UMC‘s Fireside Room.
- Strong Women: Wednesdays at 3:30 pm at First-Faith UMC.
- Hand Bell Choir: Wednesdays at 6:00 pm in the Sanctuary at First-Faith UMC.
- Mom’s Group: Wednesdays at 6:30 pm at Trinity UMC in the Parlor outside Gollaher Chapel.
- Zone: This fellowship group for all UM4GI children, grades 1st-5th, meets on Wednesdays from 6:30-7:30 pm at Trinity UMC in Room 7 and 8. The program includes large group time, dramas, praise and worship, and rotational activities such as snack and game stations each week.
- Middle School Youth Group: Wednesdays at 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm in Trinity UMC‘s Youth Room led by Pastor Matt.
- High School Group: Wednesdays at 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm in Trinity UMC’s Tower Room led by Brittany Hesman and Nicole Lucas.
- ReCHARGE: Wednesday evenings in Trinity UMC‘s Conference Room at 6:30 pm. A group of young adults (18-40ish), meets for fellowship and discussion.
- Chancel Choir at First-Faith UMC on Wednesdays at 7 pm at First-Faith UMC.
- Chancel Choir at Trinity UMC on Wednesdays at 7 pm in the Choir Room (downstairs).
- Handbell Choir at Trinity UMC on Wednesdays at 8 pm (downstairs next to the Choir Room).
- Prayer Shawl Ministry at Trinity UMC on Thursdays at 6:30 pm in the Gathering Place. Led by Linda Harris.
- Men’s Study on Fridays at 7:00 am at Tommy’s Restaurant.
- Adult Sunday School on Sundays with Larry or Duane Coates (English) and Pastor Julio Venegas (Spanish). Contact the First-Faith church office.
- Middle School Sunday School on Sundays at First-Faith UMC at 10:45 am led by Pastor Matt.
- Sunday School Youth Ministry on Sundays at Trinity UMC from 1:00-2:00 pm led by Pastor Theresa.
- Open Hearts Ministry: Next meeting May 10th at 3:00 pm in the Youth Room at Trinity UMC.
- Footprints: Middle and High School Youth at First-Faith UMC from 5:45 -7:30 pm led by Daryl and Annette Glos (390-3224). Supper is included!
- Stephen Ministries contact Kathryn Kluska at 384-8286 at anytime.
- Youth Group information can be found here.
- Check out UM4GI’s Confirmation Preparation options for the year.