Here’s a quick look at UM4GI events this week for February 16th-February 23rd as well as this weekend’s preaching schedule!
- First-Faith UMC – Sunday February 21st Rev Trudy Kenyon Anderson will preach about “Monday” the second in the Lenten Worship Series entitled “The Last Week”. We’ll consider Jesus interactions with the money changers in the Temple and get a sense of the controversy that builds toward his death.
- Trinity UMC – Saturday February 20th & Sunday February 21st Pastor Russ Anderson preaches “Again” Luke 5: 1-11 the second in his sermon series “Meeting Jesus”
Lenten Worship Schedule:
- UM4GI Maundy Thursday – Thursday March 24th 7:00pm Trinity Sanctuary – A meditative service with Taize Music, Holy Communion, and a Passion Service.
- UM4GI Good Friday – Friday March 25th 7:00pm First-Faith Sanctuary – The Stations of the Cross done in silhouettes. A moving drama that takes us along Jesus’ final trek to the cross.
- Easter Eve – Saturday March 26th 6:00pm Gollaher Chapel – Trinity
- Easter Sunday – Sunday March 27th
- 9:30am – First-Faith Sanctuary
- 9:30am & 11:00am – Trinity Sanctuary
Lenten Bible Studies
- Young Adult Class – Lacey Follmer is facilitating a Sunday morning video-study at First-Faith on the “24 Hours that Changed the World” by Adam Hamilton. Come join in the conversation as we spend the Sundays of Lent exploring the last day of Jesus’ life and discuss its continued impact on our world almost 2,000 years later. Rev. Hamilton shows us the Via Dolorosa, otherwise known as the Way of Suffering; it is the footpath of Jesus’ journey to the cross.
- “The Gift of New Creation” Alice Kistler is hosting her 34th annual Lenten study at Riverside Lodge “The Grill” 9:30am on Mondays and is led by Rev. Del Roper. Join them at 9am for coffee and at 9:30am for the lesson. Books are available in the church office or at the study.
- “John“a six-week study on the Gospel of light and life, bringing his message of hope for the season of Lent at Trinity led by Pastor Russ on Tuesdays at 1:00pm in the Youth Room. This study will begin on Tuesday February 23rd.
- “The Passion in Luke” Bible study held in the Trinity Youth Room at 9:30am on Wednesdays and led by Pastor Theresa Mason. We will explore what it says about Jesus, through a careful reading of Luke, and what it says to us as disciples of Jesus. Bring a Bible with you. This study will not meet February 17th.
Bible Studies and Small Groups:
- First-Faith Adult Sunday School class will meet Sundays at 10:45am. They are studying “When Christians Get It Wrong” by Adam Hamilton, senior pastor of the United Methodist Church of the Resurrection in Leawood, KS.
- The Young Adults at First-Faith UMC will meet Sundays at 10:45 am. They are studying “24 Hours That Changed the World” The study is guided by Lacey Follmer and will meet in Room C.
- Women of Faith will start studying a new book on Mondays at 5:30pm titled “The Girl’s Still Got It: Take a Walk With Ruth and the God Who Rocked Her World.” by Liz Curtis Higgs. Contact Sharon Sorensen with any questions.
- “Disciple Fast Track” Bible study at First-Faith led by Pastor Trudy is held on Tuesdays at 6:45pm.
- “When All Else Fails Read the Instructions” book study by James W. Moore will be held Wednesday afternoons at 1:30pm in the Fireside Room at First Faith.
- ReCharge young adult group is held in the Trinity Church Conference Room from 6:30-8pm on Wednesdays.
- Mom’s Group meets Wednesdays in the parlor at 6:30-7:30 pm at Trinity. All mom’s are welcome to attend. Nursery is available during this time for children too young for Zone.
Youth Activities at UM4GI
- Footprints Youth: Held Sunday evenings from 5:45-7:30pm at First-Faith. Starting with a meal and will continue with worship and fellowship. All youth 6th-12th grades are welcome.
- United Methodist Youth Fellowship: Held on Wednesdays from 6:30-8:00pm at Trinity on the 3rd floor. All youth grades 6th-12th grades are welcome to attend.
- Zone: Held Wednesday evenings from 6:30-7:30pm at Trinity. All youth ages K-5th grade are welcome to attend.
- Sudanese Youth: continues to meet Sundays at Trinity at 1pm in the Gathering Place.
- Trinity Children’s Easter Choir – Children in Preschool to 5th grade please join us on Sunday’s from 10:15 to 10:45 am in the choir room for our Easter children’s choir. Don’t forget to mark your calendar to attend Sunday April 10th! The children will be sharing their magical music!
This Week’s Announcements
- The United Methodist Men of First-Faith UMC are hosting a Valentine’s Banquet on Sunday, February 21st at 6:00 pm. This is a family-friendly evening of food and entertainment at First-Faith UMC. The menu is ham or beef, scalloped potatoes, green beans, and desert. Tickets are $8 a piece. The entertainment is provided by Wheels of Faith, a men’s singing group from Cairo and The UMM Singing group will also perform. You are more than welcome to bring your talents or a dessert to share with everyone. Tickets can be purchased at the door the day of the event.
- ESL classes are held in the Gathering Place at Trinity on Monday evenings at 7.
Upcoming Events/Announcements and Other Opportunities
- Refresh! Free, quality childcare will be available at First-Faith UMC every 2nd and 4th Wednesdays from 9 am – 11:30 am so that moms can run errands or take a break and relax! The next Refresh! will be Wednesday, February 24th. Contact Sharon Sorensen at 382-7543 with any questions.
- Peggy Helms is leading a craft making group every third Tuesday of the month from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm at First-Faith UMC. Bring your own crafts to work on or Peggy will have some projects available. The group is getting a head start on making items for the November craft fair. Come join us for the second session on March 15th.
- Prime Timers! Come share in games and dinner on Tuesday, March 15th at 10:00 am in Trinity’s Miller Hall. The menu will be announced soon. Please sign up by March 11th in the church offices.
- Mobile giving is coming to First-Faith. Stay tuned for more information in the coming weeks.
- Kid’s Night Out! at First-Faith UMC will be held Friday March 11th from 7:00-8:30 pm. Kid’s will enjoy worship time, snacks and games.
- The Collegiate Choir from Illinois Wesleyan University in Bloomington, Ill., will present a freewill concert at Trinity UMC on Wednesday March 16th at 7:30pm.
- The Nebraska Brass ensemble will be performing at Trinity on Sunday, March 6, 2016 at 3:00pm. Tickets are $12 for an adult, $10 for 65+, and students are FREE! Founded in 1987, the Nebraska Brass is one of the Midwest’s most popular brass quintets.
- NAMI Support Group meets the 1st and 3rd Fridays of the month from 6:30-7:30pm at the Trinity House.
- UM4GI shirts are available in a variety of sizes and also in polo styles!
- Noah’s Ark Child Care & Preschool is selling Younkers Community Day Booklets for a $5 donation. Community Days will be held from Friday, February 26 to Saturday, February 27. Community Days is a two-day shopping event at Younkers. Noah’s Ark keeps 100% of the booklet price and the customer receives up to $500 in special shopping offers at Younkers. Booklets will be sold in the Gathering Place between services until February 21, 2016 or contact the Noah’s Ark office. Younker’s has generously created this event to enable non-profit 501C3 groups and schools to raise money to support their mission. The goal is to sell a minimum of 100 booklets. The money raised will be used to improve quality of materials for the center and begin to put towards a curriculum for the center.
- Food For Thought Backpacks at Trinity: We have a great opportunity to help those in need right here in our area. We have bags and lists that you can easily take and fill for the families we support at Howard. Pick up a bag and a list, fill it up, and bring it back to the church office. If you would like more information, call Sebrina at 382-1952.
- On the first Sunday of the month it is “Food Pantry Sunday” at First-Faith and Trinity! At First-Faith donations can be placed in the “Food Pantry Grocery Cart” in Fellowship Hall at any time.
- Trinity and First-Faith United Methodist Women are collecting “Box Tops for Education” and Campbell’s Labels. These labels are used to purchase educational items to support Epworth Village in York. These labels can be dropped off in the black box on the lower shelf of the UMW library corner in Trinity‘s parlor or in the green tote in Fellowship Hall at First-Faith UMC. If you are not sure which part of the label to save, drop off the entire label and it will be cut down appropriately. Thank You!
- Noah’s Ark Wish List: Kleenexes! Thank you all for your continued support!
- Prayer Shawls are available at both First-Faith and Trinity to anyone in need. If you would like to become a part of the UM4GI Prayer Shawl ministry, join them in the Trinity UMC Gathering Place on Thursday nights at 6:30pm. (They will even teach you how to make them!) Contact Linda Harris at 227-1286 for more information.