Here’s a quick look at UM4GI events this week for January 27th – February 3rd, as well as this weekend’s preaching schedule!
This Week’s Events/Announcements
- Justice for Our Neighbors-Nebraska is a non-profit organization providing immigration legal services, education, and advocacy for indigent and low-income immigrant families and individuals. Volunteer opportunities include providing childcare, hospitality, or bi-lingual services for those visiting the clinic. The next clinic will be offered on Tuesday, January 27th, 2015 from 5:30-7:00 pm at Trinity UMC. If you would like to join the group of UM4GI volunteers helping with JFON-NE, contact Deb Brummund, Christy Horky, or Trinity’s Church office at 382-1952.
- Refresh! Free, quality childcare will be available at First-Faith UMC on January 28th from 9:00 am – 11:30 am, so that moms can run errands or take a break to relax! Contact Sharon Sorenson at 382-7543 for more information.
- Pastor Darren is starting up a new group on Restorative Justice. Restorative justice is based on the belief that those affected by crime also need to be heard, have their needs addressed, and be restored to the community instead of being blamed for becoming victims of crime. Restorative justice takes a holistic approach to restoring community harmony. If this topic interests you, the 6 week class will begin on Thursday, January 29th at 6:30 pm in the Youth Room at Trinity UMC. Contact Pastor Darren at 382-1952 if you have any questions.
- Pastor Matt’s Sunday Night Small Group will NOT meet this Sunday, due to Super Bowl Sunday. It will continue on Sunday, February 8th at Dale and Karleen Beckman’s at 2816 S. Blaine St (no food will be provided) from 6:30–8:00 p.m. They are studying Adam Hamilton’s Confronting the Controversies, a DVD-based study with optional books. Contact Pastor Matt or either church office to reserve a book. If there is more interest than the Beckman’s can host, a second session may be added.
- New! Women’s Bible Study – a new bible study led by Sharon Sorensen and Joyce McKinny continues on Mondays at 5:30 p.m. at Sharon’s house at 1717 W. Charles St. The study will be based on the play “The Other 12 Disciples”, a study of 12 women in the Bible. This is a free study and all women are welcome to attend. Call Sharon at 382-7543 if you have any questions.
- Extending Epiphany at First-Faith: From January 4th through February 15th, First-Faith’s worship will explore the theme, “Seeing God” and ways we can see God’s presence and activity. Because daily prayer is one way we can see God, you’re invited to use a daily prayer devotional prepared specifically for this season. The devotional will be ready for you to pick up at First-Faith on January 4th. It will offer ways of starting or supplementing your daily prayer practices. May we discover ways of seeing God more fully together.
- Trinity UMC is ordering name tags! The Evangelism Committee is encouraging everyone to order their own name tag. It will help everyone feel more comfortable calling our fellow attendees by name, and our ministers can get to know our names as well. This will especially be helpful as we get new pastors! Trinity would like each congregation member, children included, to have a name tag. Trinity will be providing them at no cost to you for the first one, you can choose magnetic or pin back and a place will be provided at the church to store your name tag if you wish. You can print off a form here or email your choice of magnetic back or pin back, and how you would like your name to read on your name tag to email@example.com. Make sure to include all family members!
- UM4GI’s Prayers Shawl ministry continues. If you would like to learn how to make a prayer shawl or make them with others, come to Trinity UMC Gathering Place on Thursday Nights at 6:30 p.m. Contact Linda Harris at 227-1286 for more information.
- Register to participate in First-Faith UMC‘s Dinner for Fun events to be held throughout 2015. Dinner for Fun 2015 is coming! Dinner 4 Fun is people sharing a meal, making new friends, renewing old friendships, and getting to know one another. It is for singles, couples and families. Do you like to cook? OK! If you don’t like to cook, deli food or take-out works also! If you can’t host or be a leader, there are other ways to share in the fun. The hope is that each group will meet together 4 times. Each group will have a leader to organize the group and keep it going, you meet when it works for your group. Your group can plan an after meal activity, such as games, visiting, watching sports, or playing cards, it is up to your group to decide. You can register at either church office or email Joyce McKinny at firstname.lastname@example.org with the information. Questions? Please call Joyce at 308-382-4709.
- Regular Wednesday Evening programming at Trinity UMC and First-Faith UMC (including youth groups, studies, musical groups, & more). See below for more detail!
Upcoming Events/Announcements and Other Opportunities
- First-Faith UMC is starting a “Children’s Night Out” the second Friday of every month, starting on Friday, February 13th. It will be held from 7:00 -8:30 pm at First-Faith UMC. There will be kids worship, bible lessons, snacks, and fun and games! Call 308-850-5786 for more information!
- New! Disciple short-term Bible Study, Invitation to John, at 1 p.m. Wednesdays from March 11 through May 20. This is a 90-minute class that will meet at Trinity UMC, led by Bette Pore. Participants for this class do not have to have an in-depth knowledge of the Bible to enjoy and benefit from taking part. Reading just two chapters of John a week, we will discover the life-altering stories that will invite us to follow Christ as true disciples. This 11-week study includes a participant book outlining daily reading assignments for group preparations and a weekly video shown during the class. To pre-register for the class, contact Bette Pore at 308-383-7299 or by email at email@example.com by Feb. 8.
- Publications is currently updating addresses for those who live in skilled care or a nursing home. If you or a loved one lives in skilled care or a nursing home, please notify either UM4GI office of any address updates or changes.Trinity UMW and First-Faith UMC are collecting “Box Tops for Education” and Campbell’s Labels. These labels are used to purchase educational items to support Epworth Village in York. These labels can be dropped off in the black box on the lower shelf of the UMW library corner in Trinity‘s parlor or in the green totes outside the sanctuary main doors at First-Faith UMC. If you are not sure which part of the label to save, drop off the entire label and it will be cut down appropriately. Thank You!
- Get involved in worship services with UM4GI!
- UM4GI shirts are available in a variety of sizes and also in polo styles!
- Donations are welcomed for Epworth Village’s Kruse House.
Studies & Groups – Join one Today!
- Women of Faith Study: “The Other 12 Disciples”, a study of 12 women in the Bible on Mondays at 5:30 p.m. at Sharon Sorensen’s House (1717 W. Charles) or call Sharon at 382-7543.
- Step Group: Mondays at 7:00 pm at First-Faith UMC. This is a closed group; please contact Pastor Matt if you are interested in this type of group.
- First-Faith Quilters and Sewers: Every 2nd and 4th Tuesday at First-Faith UMC at 9:00 am.
- Lectionary Psalms Study: Wednesdays at 9:30 a.m. in Trinity’s Youth Room with Pastor Theresa.
- Women’s Study: Wednesdays at 1:30pm at First-Faith UMC‘s Fireside Room.
- Strong Women: Wednesdays at 3:30pm at First-Faith UMC.
- Hand Bell Choir: Wednesdays at 6:00 pm in the Sanctuary at First-Faith UMC.
- Mom’s Group: Wednesdays at 6:30 pm at Trinity UMC in the Parlor outside Gollaher Chapel.
- Zone: This fellowship group for all UM4GI children, grades 1st-5th, meets on Wednesdays from 6:30-7:30 p.m. at Trinity UMC in Room 7 and 8. The program includes large group time, dramas, praise and worship, and rotational activities such as snack and game stations each week.
- Middle School Youth Group: Wednesdays at 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm in Trinity UMC‘s Youth Room led by Pastor Matt.
- High School Group: Wednesdays at 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm in Trinity UMC’s Tower Room led by Brittany Hesman and Nicole Lucas.
- ReCHARGE: Wednesday evenings in Trinity UMC‘s Conference Room at 6:30 p.m. A group of young adults (18-40ish), meets for fellowship and discussion.
- Chancel Choir at First-Faith UMC on Wednesdays at 7pm at First-Faith UMC.
- Chancel Choir at Trinity UMC on Wednesdays at 7pm in the Choir Room (downstairs).
- Handbell Choir at Trinity UMC on Wednesdays at 8pm (downstairs next to the Choir Room).
- Prayer Shawl Ministry at Trinity UMC on Thursdays at 6:30 pm in the Gathering Place. Led by Linda Harris.
- Restorative Justice: Thursdays, first meeting on January 29th, at 6:30 pm in the Youth Room at Trinity UMC. Led by Pastor Darren.
- Men’s Study on Fridays at 7:00 am at Tommy’s Restaurant.
- Adult Sunday School on Sundays with Larry or Duane Coates (English) and Pastor Julio Venegas (Spanish). Contact the First-Faith church office with questions.
- Middle School Sunday School on Sundays at First-Faith UMC at 10:45 am led by Pastor Matt.
- Sunday School Youth Ministry on Sundays at Trinity UMC from 1:00-2:00 led by Pastor Theresa.
- Open Hearts Ministry: 2nd Sunday of the month, next meeting January 11, 2015 at 3:00 pm in the Youth Room at Trinity UMC.
- Footprints: Middle and High School Youth at First-Faith UMC from 5:45 -7:30 pm led by Daryl and Annette Glos (390-3224). Supper is included!
- Sunday Night Small Group: Sundays at Dale and Karleen Beckman’s at 2816 S. Blaine St (no food will be provided) from 6:30–8:00 p.m. We will be studying Adam Hamilton’s Confronting the Controversies, a DVD-based study with optional books. Sessions will include: 1 – The Separation of Church and State, 2 – Creation and Evolution in the Public Schools, 3 – The Death Penalty, 4 – Euthanasia, 5 – Prayer in Public Schools, 6 – Abortion and 7 – Homosexuality. Contact Pastor Matt or either church office to reserve a book.
- Stephen Ministries contact Kathryn Kluska at 384-8286 at anytime.
- Youth Group information can be found here.
- Check out UM4GI’s Confirmation Preparation options for the year.