Here’s a quick look at UM4GI events this week for December 2nd- December 9th, as well as this weekend’s preaching schedule!
This Week’s Events/Announcements
- Come help decorate Trinity UMC! We are having a “Christmas Decorating Party” on Wednesday, December 3rd from 6:30-7:30 pm. We will start in Gollaher Chapel with singing Christmas carols for hanging of the greens!
- Trinity’s UMW will be having their Christmas Tea on Thursday, December 4th at 1 pm in the Youth Room at Trinity UMC. If you have any questions, please contact Donna Cargill at 384-2728.
- Baskets of Love are back! It is time to donate your homemade basket – WE NEED YOUR BASKETS! The Missions Committee welcomes all sorts of gift baskets—large and small! Please consider creating a basket to donate for this wonderful cause. There will be Baskets of Love auctions at both Trinity and First-Faith. Last year’s response was fantastic—we look forward to another great auction! Baskets will be due to the church offices by THIS Thursday, December 4th. Then be ready to put in winning bids for your favorite baskets the following two weekends! Proceeds benefit the UM4GI Global AIDS Fund & UM4GI HIV/AIDS Emergency Fund. The silent auction for Baskets of Love 2014 will be held the weekends of December 6th-7th & 13th-14th. Please contact Mandy Smidt with any questions at email@example.com.
- Our Advent Study will be over Adam Hamilton’s “Not A Silent Night.” This study will explore the person who knew him more intimately than anyone else—his mother, Mary. You will witness the life of Jesus from Mary’s unique perspective, starting at the very end and traveling back in time to the very beginning—the night of Christ’s birth. Pastor Darren’s study is on Wednesdays, at 6:30 pm at First-Faith UMC in the Fireside Room. Sundays at 6:30 pm, Pastor Matt will hold his at Dale and Karleen Beckman’s house at 2816 S. Blaine St. Soup will be provided! Tuesdays at 1:00 pm, Pastor Karla will lead her study in the Youth Room at Trinity UMC. Wednesdays at 9:30 am, Pastor Theresa will lead hers in the Youth Room at Trinity UMC. This will take the place of her ongoing Lectionary Psalm Study. As you can see, there are many opportunities to getting involved with a study this Advent season. Hope you will join us!
- UM Global AIDS Fund Special Offering will be December 7th. This is the perfect opportunity to help save a mother’s life, allow an infant to be born healthy, and preserve a family! By donating even $10, you can allow an HIV positive expectant mother to get a living saving medications that prevent transmission to her infant and allow her to safely breast feed. What a blessing it is to be able to reach out to help preserve a family unit. Please give to the UMGAF Special Offering on December 7th.
- Christmas Caroling and More! Go Christmas caroling in the First-Faith neighborhood on Sunday, December 7th from 2:00-4:00 pm. Meet at First-Faith UMC.
- UM4GI’s Live Nativity will return on THIS Sunday, December 7th from 5:00-7:00 pm at the Red Barn at Fonner Park. A Soup Supper hosted by Trinity’s United Methodist Men will accompany the Live Nativity from 4:30-7:00 pm. Cost of the Soup Supper is $6 for adults, $4 for children ages 5-12 and children 4 and under are free. Volunteers are needed for set up, tear down, greeting, and playing a part in the nativity (there are no speaking parts and costumes will be provided). To participate, please contact Trinity’s Office at 382-1952.
- Poinsettia Dedication Forms are due to the church offices by December 15th to be printed in the bulletin’s for December 20 & 21. You can pick up a dedication form at the church office.
- Gutter Cleaning! If you know of anyone that needs their gutters cleaned, or if you can help clean gutters, please call Ilene at 382-3684. There will not be a specific date to do this, Ilene will schedule times as calls come in and she has volunteers lined up. Please let Ilene know if you can help out!
- Trinity UMC is ordering name tags! The Evangelism Committee is encouraging everyone to order their own name tag. It will help everyone feel more comfortable calling our fellow attendees by name, and our ministers can get to know our names as well. This will especially be helpful as we get new pastors! Trinity would like each congregation member, children included, to have a name tag. Trinity will be providing them at no cost to you for the first one, you can choose magnetic or pin back and a place will be provided at the church to store your name tag if you wish. You can print off a form here or email your choice of magnetic back or pin back, and how you would like your name to read on your name tag to firstname.lastname@example.org. Make sure to include all family members!
- UM4GI’s Prayers Shawl ministry continues. If you would like to learn how to make a prayer shawl or make them with others, come to Trinity UMC Gathering Place on Thursday Nights at 6:30 p.m. Contact Linda Harris at 227-1286 for more information.
- Register to participate in First-Faith’s Dinner for Fun events to be held throughout 2015.
- Regular Wednesday Evening programming at Trinity UMC and First-Faith UMC (including youth groups, studies, musical groups, & more). See below for more detail!
Upcoming Events/Announcements and Other Opportunities
- Refresh! Free quality child care on December 10th from 9am-11:30 am at First-Faith UMC. This is an opportunity for Mom’s to run errands, or take a break to relax! Contact Sharon Sorensen at 382-7543.
- Lunch Bunch will take place on December 10th at noon at First-Faith UMC.
- Publications is currently updating addresses for those who live in skilled care or a nursing home. If you or a loved one lives in skilled care or a nursing home, please notify either UM4GI office of any address updates or changes.Trinity UMW and First-Faith UMC are collecting “Box Tops for Education” and Campbell’s Labels. These labels are used to purchase educational items to support Epworth Village in York. These labels can be dropped off in the black box on the lower shelf of the UMW library corner in Trinity‘s parlor or in the green totes outside the sanctuary main doors at First-Faith UMC. If you are not sure which part of the label to save, drop off the entire label and it will be cut down appropriately. Thank You!
- Get involved in worship services with UM4GI!
- UM4GI shirts are available in a variety of sizes and also in polo styles!
- Donations are welcomed for Epworth Village’s Kruse House.
Studies & Groups – Join one Today!
- Women of Faith Study: Discovering Joy in Your Creativity (You are made in the Image of a Creative God ) by Margaret Feinberg on Mondays at 5:30 p.m. at Sharon Sorensen’s House (1717 W. Charles) or call Sharon at 382-7543.
- Step Group: Mondays at 7:00 pm at First-Faith UMC. This is a closed group; please contact Pastor Matt if you are interested in this type of group.
- First-Faith Quilters and Sewers: Every 2nd and 4th Tuesday at First-Faith UMC at 9:00 am.
- Lectionary Psalms Study (Will be “Not A Silent Night” during Advent season): Wednesdays at 9:30 a.m. in Trinity’s Youth Room with Pastor Theresa.
- Women’s Study: Wednesdays at 1:30pm at First-Faith UMC‘s Fireside Room.
- Strong Women: Wednesdays at 3:30pm at First-Faith UMC.
- Hand Bell Choir: Wednesdays at 6:00 pm in the Sanctuary at First-Faith UMC.
- Mom’s Group: Wednesdays at 6:30 pm at Trinity UMC in the Parlor outside Gollaher Chapel.
- Zone: This fellowship group for all UM4GI children, grades 1st-5th, meets on Wednesdays from 6:30-7:30 p.m. at Trinity UMC in Room 7 and 8. The program includes large group time, dramas, praise and worship, and rotational activities such as snack and game stations each week.
- Middle School Youth Group: Wednesdays at 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm in Trinity UMC‘s Youth Room led by Pastor Matt.
- High School Group: Wednesdays at 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm in Trinity UMC’s Tower Room led by Brittany Hesman and Nicole Lucas.
- ReCHARGE: Wednesday evenings in Trinity UMC‘s Conference Room at 6:30 p.m. A group of young adults (18-40ish), meets for fellowship and discussion.
- Chancel Choir at First-Faith UMC on Wednesdays at 7pm at First-Faith UMC.
- Chancel Choir at Trinity UMC on Wednesdays at 7pm in the Choir Room (downstairs).
- Handbell Choir at Trinity UMC on Wednesdays at 8pm (downstairs next to the Choir Room).
- Prayer Shawl Ministry at Trinity UMC on Thursdays at 6:30 pm in the Gathering Place. Led by Linda Harris.
- Men’s Study on Fridays at 7:00 am at Tommy’s Restaurant.
- Adult Sunday School on Sundays with Larry or Duane Coates (English) and Pastor Julio Venegas (Spanish). Contact the First-Faith church office with questions.
- Middle School Sunday School on Sundays at First-Faith UMC at 10:45 am led by Pastor Matt.
- Sunday School Youth Ministry on Sundays at Trinity UMC from 1:00-2:00 led by Pastor Theresa.
- Open Hearts Ministry: 2nd Sunday of the month, next meeting January 11, 2015 at 3:00 pm in the Youth Room at Trinity UMC.
- Footprints: Middle and High School Youth at First-Faith UMC from 5:45 -7:30 pm led by Daryl and Annette Glos (390-3224). Supper is included!
- Stephen Ministries contact Kathryn Kluska at 384-8286 at anytime.
- Youth Group information can be found here.
- Check out UM4GI’s Confirmation Preparation options for the year.