Due to transition in the Publications Coordinator the Weekly Update will be on hold for a few weeks.
Here’s a quick look at UM4GI events this week for November 1st – November 8th as well as this weekend’s preaching schedule!
- First-Faith UMC – November 6th is Communion Sunday and Pastor Trudy will lead us with an All Saints’ Service as we give God thanks and remember those who have gone ahead of us. We’ll also consider the stewardship of our time with the days we have been allotted.
- Trinity UMC – November 5th Alex Hull will be leading worship. November 6th Pastor Russ will be preaching on 1 Tim. 6:17-19; Is 30:19-22 “Altars Everywhere”
- Here is the latest newsletter for the month of October/November.
Bible Studies and Small Groups: EVERY study is available to both churches.
- The First-Faith Adult Sunday School class is studying Half Truths: God Helps Those Who Help Themselves and Other Things the Bible Doesn’t Say. The sessions include:
– Everything Happens for a Reason
– God Helps Those Who Help Themselves
– God Won’t Give You More Than You Can Handle
– God Said It, I Believe It, That Settles It
– Love the Sinner, Hate the Sin We welcome new participants as we join the Rev. Adam Hamilton in his search for the whole truth by comparing common Christian sayings with wisdom found in Scripture.
- The Young Adults Sunday School at First-Faith UMC is studying Adam Hamilton’s The Call: The Life and Message of the Apostle Paul. Join this group on Sunday mornings in Room 1 as they explore Paul’s story, hear his message, and reflect on the meaning of his life and message for your own life and for our world today.
- Women of Faith Mondays at 5:30 pm It is held at Sharon Sorensen’s home at 5:30 pm. The name of the study is Trusting in Christ written by Karen Lee-Thorp.
- Tuesday Mathètè’s – They are studying Half Truths by Adam Hamilton. Join Pastor Russ in a search for the whole truth by comparing some common Christian sayings with the wisdom found in the Scripture. Tuesdays at 1:00 pm in the Youth Room. Anyone is welcome to join.
- Pastor Trudy will lead Barbara Roose’s Bible Study Beautiful Already on every other Tuesday evening at First-Faith. If you’ve ever said anything along these lines: “I’m so fat.” “I don’t like my nose.” “I wish I was taller.” then this study is for you! Our dissatisfaction with what we see in the mirror is what Roose calls “our ugly struggle with beauty.” We’ll meet every other week for six sessions from 6:30 – 8:00 pm and explore God’s truth about beauty as revealed in the Old and New Testaments.
- ReCharge young adult group Tuesdays at 6:30 in The Gathering Place at Trinity.
- Wednesday afternoon Book Study at 1:30 pm in the Fireside Room at First-Faith they will be studying The Girl’s Still Got It by Liz Curtis Higgs.
- Faith on Tap Looking for that place where life and faith intersect? Come join Pastor Russ at Nathan Detroit’s, 316 N Pine, on October 19th at 7:00 pm and every 3rd Wednesday of the month after that. Bring your inquisitive mind as we try to make sense of our lives and our place in this world in light of what the Bible says.
- Mom’s Group will be reading & discussing together Jen Hatmaker’s new book For the Love on Wednesdays at a new time of 7-8:00 pm in the Parlor at Trinity! Mom’s of all ages are invited to attend this awesome group.
Youth Activities at UM4GI
- Footprints UMYF (6-12th):Welcomes all 6th-12th graders to experience a deeper walk with God as we gather every Sunday evening from 5:45-7:30 for food, fun, and fellowship in the First-Faith Fellowship Hall!
- Trinity Youth Ministries (6-12th): Come join us at our new time 7-8:00 pm on Wednesdays in the Youth Room! We will gather for experiential worship and prayer, creative bible study, and formative community activities.
- Zone (K-5th): Come join us at our new time 7-8:00 pm on Wednesdays in the Rooms 7 & 8! We have a blast engaging in the story of God through bible study, games, creative projects, and fun!
- Sudanese Youth: Sundays at Trinity at 1 pm in the Gathering Place.
This Week’s Announcements
- We will be celebrating family time & anticipating Christmas with a Family Christmas Craft Night at First-Faith on November 4th 6:30-8:00 pm. We will supply the items for crafts for all ages and you can complete as many as you would like. This is a fun opportunity to get a head start on some handmade Christmas Crafts! A light snack and refreshments will be served. Please RSVP to Nicole Lucas with a text to 402-631-9576 or email her at email@example.com by November 2nd.
Upcoming Events/Announcements and Other Opportunities
- Faith on Tap Looking for that place where life and faith intersect? Come join Pastor Russ at Nathan Detroit’s, 316 N Pine, on November 16th at 7:00 pm and every 3rd Wednesday of the month after that. Bring your inquisitive mind as we try to make sense of our lives and our place in this world in light of what the Bible says.
- Lunch Bunch is Wednesday November 9th 12:00 pm at First-Faith UMC. Come join us for this fun potluck!
- Prime Timers— Come enjoy a Thanksgiving Dinner & wonderful fellowship on Tuesday November 25th at 10 am with lunch at noon @ Trinity. Please RSVP by Friday, Oct 14th to the Trinity office. For this one time the cost of the meal will be $7.
- Refresh! Free, quality childcare is available at First-Faith UMC every 2nd and 4th Wednesdays from 9 am – 11:30 am so that moms can run errands or take a break and relax! The next Refresh! will be Wednesday, November 9th. Contact Sharon Sorensen at 382-7543 with any questions.
- NAMI Support Group meets the 1st and 3rd Fridays of the month from 6:30-7:30 pm at the Trinity House.
- On the first Sunday of the month it is “Food Pantry Sunday” at First-Faith and Trinity! At First-Faith donations can be placed in the “Food Pantry Grocery Cart” in Fellowship Hall at any time. At Trinity donations can be placed in the tote in the UMW Library in the Parlor anytime.
- The First-Faith sewing group is asking for donations of gently used or new baby items to be given to our local WIC office. Items needed include: booties, bibs, blankets, hats, and burp cloths. Please deposit donations in the bin located in the Narthex.
- As part of First-Faith’s Educational Partnership with Engleman Elementary we will be having work days on the second or third Thursday of each month from 8:30 to 11:00 am. The next one is October 20th. Please let Glenda know by October 16th if you are planning to come so they know how much work to plan for us. Let Glenda know at church or call her at 383-1716.
- Noah’s Ark Wish List: School Supplies! Contact April at Noah’s Ark. Thank you all for your continued support!
- Prayer Shawls are available at both First-Faith and Trinity to anyone in need. If you would like to become a part of the UM4GI Prayer Shawl ministry, join them in the Trinity UMC Gathering Place on Thursday nights at 6:30pm. (They will even teach you how to make them!) Contact Linda Harris at 227-1286 for more information.
Online Giving Options
- Follow this link to contribute to Trinity financially.
- Follow this link to contribute to First-Faith financially.