Here’s a quick look at UM4GI events this week for August 2nd – August 9th as well as this weekend’s preaching schedule!
- First-Faith UMC – Sunday August 7 Join us for a good old fashioned hymn sing. We’ll have hymnals on the chairs, so come ready to shout out your favorite hymn as we make a joyful noise together!
- Trinity UMC – Saturday August 6th & Sunday August 7th Rev. Kelly Karges will be preaching.
- Here is the latest newsletter for the month of July/August.
Bible Studies and Small Groups:
- Tuesday Mathètè’s – At the end of July they will start studying “Half Truths” by Adam Hamilton. Join Pastor Russ in a search for the whole truth by comparing some common Christian sayings with the wisdom found in the Scripture. Tuesdays at 1:00 pm in the Youth Room. Anyone is welcome to join.
- First-Faith Adult Sunday School class will meet Sundays at 10:45 am in the Fireside Room. They started a new study on July 3rd. It is entitled “The Miracle of Mercy” and was written by Rick Warren. It is a six session spiritual growth study about God’s number one characteristic. It will help us cultivate a heart of mercy as we learn to;
– Forgive others unreservedly
– Help those who are hurting
– Be patient with those who are difficult
– Show kindness to enemies
– Care for those who are lost
- The Young Adults at First-Faith UMC will resume in the fall.
- Women of Faith will be taking the summer off. Enjoy the summer months and we will start back up in the fall!
- Wednesday afternoon Book Study at 1:30pm in the Fireside Room at First Faith they will be studying Bad Girls of the Bible and What We Can Learn from Them by Liz Curtis Higgs.
- ReCharge young adult group will resume in the fall! Have a fantastic summer!
- Mom’s Group will resume in the fall! Have a fantastic summer!
Youth Activities at UM4GI
- Games in the Grass with Sebrina & Melanie Sunday, August 7, 3:00pm – 4:30 pm @ Trinity! Water balloons! Prizes! *Please bring your own towel and sunscreen!* All kids up to 5th grade are invited to come have a blast in the summer sun!!
- Footprints Youth: Bible ‘n BBQ Who: all youth who be will be in 6th – 12 grade What to bring: yer Bible, swimwear & life jacket, and a friend When: Wednesday Aug 3rd, 6:00 – 7:30 pm Where: Dale & Karleen Beckman’s RSVP: Annette Glos 308-390-3939 or email@example.com Come join in the fun.
- United Methodist Youth Fellowship: will resume in the fall! Enjoy summer break!
- Zone: will resume in the fall! Have a blast this summer!
- Sudanese Youth: continues to meet Sundays at Trinity at 1 pm in the Gathering Place.
This Week’s Announcements
- There will be a Holy Land Exploration Tour Informational Meeting at Trinity on Wednesday August 3rd @ 7:00 pm. Have you considered traveling to the Holy Land? Pastors Russ and Trudy invite you to join them on a 10-day journey throughout the Holy Land, March 20-29, 2017. We will follow in the footsteps of Jesus as we explore places such as the Sea of Galilee, Bethlehem, and Jerusalem. The Holy Land is claimed to be the “Fifth Gospel” as it brings to life all you have ever read. If you are interested, please, visit with Pastor Russ or Pastor Trudy, or pick up a brochure. Come, experience this once in a life time, life changing, journey as we see the Bible come to life! Find out more information here!
- Neighborhood Night Out August 2, at Trinity UMC from 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. This year we will be dedicating the Unity Peace Pole along with all the usual fun & games. To volunteer your help call Deb Brummund, the Trinity Office or sign up on a clipboard. We hope to see you there!!
Upcoming Events/Announcements and Other Opportunities
- Get to Know Pastor Kelly Join us for coffee, cookies, & conversation as we get to know Pastor Kelly. The times, dates and locations for the first four are listed below. To enable more time for conversation, we are asking that you attend the scheduled group with the first letter of your last name. However, if your scheduled time isn’t convenient, please feel free to attend at a more convenient time. ABC—Wednesday Aug. 3rd 7:00 pm—The Gathering Place DEFG—Saturday Aug 6th 7:00 pm—The Gathering Place HIJ—Monday Aug 29th 7:00 pm—The Gathering Place KL—Wednesday, Sept 7th 2:00 pm—The Gathering Place*Check here for the full list of gatherings*
- Refresh! Free, quality childcare is available at First-Faith UMC every 2nd and 4th Wednesdays from 9 am – 11:30 am so that moms can run errands or take a break and relax! The next Refresh! will be Wednesday, August 10th. Contact Sharon Sorensen at 382-7543 with any questions.
- Lunch Bunch is Wednesday July 10th 12:00 pm at First-Faith UMC. Come join us for this fun potluck!
- Peggy Helms is leading a craft making group every third Tuesday of the month from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm at First-Faith UMC. Bring your own crafts to work on or Peggy will have some projects available. The group is getting a head start on making items for the November craft fair. Their next meeting is August 16th.
- NAMI Support Group meets the 1st and 3rd Fridays of the month from 6:30-7:30 pm at the Trinity House.
Trinity United Methodist Church is now accepting applications for the weekend janitor position. Duties include janitorial service and lock up and building security, including lock up and service for weddings and special events. The position is four hours per week minimum. Additional pay for special events. A complete job description is available here. Application is available here. Position is posted until filled.
- Help us care for Grand Island by re-stocking the shelves of the food pantry in the month of August.
- Aug 6-7: Protein items, e.g. peanut butter, canned meats, jarred cheeses
- Aug 13-14: Canned fruits & canned vegetables
- Aug 20-21: Pastas, cereals, grains
- Aug 27-28: Toilet paper, Kleenex, paper towels, Clorox wipes
- On the first Sunday of the month it is “Food Pantry Sunday” at First-Faith and Trinity! At First-Faith donations can be placed in the “Food Pantry Grocery Cart” in Fellowship Hall at any time. At Trinity donations can be placed in the tote in the UMW Library in the Parlor anytime.
- The First-Faith sewing group is asking for donations of gently used or new baby items to be given to our local WIC office. Items needed include: booties, bibs, blankets, hats, and burp cloths. Please deposit donations in the bin located in the Narthex.
- First-Faith is beginning an educational partnership with Engleman Elementary. We are taking the first steps by supporting new teachers by helping them build their classroom libraries and supply of board games to be used for indoor recess. Gently used children’s books and board games for elementary age children can be donated. Please bring them to First-Faith.
- Food For Thought Backpacks at Trinity: We have a great opportunity to help those in need right here in our area. We have bags and lists that you can easily take and fill for the families we support at Howard. Pick up a bag and a list, fill it up, and bring it back to the church office. If you would like more information, call Sebrina at 382-1952.
- Noah’s Ark Wish List: Mulch for the playground! Contact April at Noah’s Ark. Thank you all for your continued support!
- Prayer Shawls are available at both First-Faith and Trinity to anyone in need. If you would like to become a part of the UM4GI Prayer Shawl ministry, join them in the Trinity UMC Gathering Place on Thursday nights at 6:30pm. (They will even teach you how to make them!) Contact Linda Harris at 227-1286 for more information.
- ESL classes will resume in the fall.
Online Giving Options
- Follow this link to contribute to Trinity financially.
- Follow this link to contribute to First-Faith financially.