Here’s a quick look at UM4GI events this week for February 9th-February 16th as well as this weekend’s preaching schedule!
- First-Faith UMC – Sunday February 14th Rev. Trudy Kenyon Anderson will preach “The Last Week: Palm Sunday” Mark 11: 1-11 the first in the Lenten Worship Series “The Last Week.”
- Trinity UMC – Saturday February 13th & Sunday February 14th Rev. Theresa Mason preaching on Luke 4: 1-13, Romans 10: 8-13
- Get involved in worship services with UM4GI! Contact your church for opportunities to help out in worship.
Lenten Worship Schedule:
- Ash Wednesday services will be held Wednesday February 10th at Trinity UMC.
- UM4GI Service of Ashes 12:15-12:45pm in Gollaher Chapel for those who want to come over their lunch break.
- UM4GI Ash Wednesday Service at 7:00pm in the Sanctuary with Holy Communion, the chancel choir, and bells. We will have stations for ashes, healing oil, and remembering our baptism.
Lenten Bible Studies
- “John“a six-week study on the Gospel of light and life, bringing his message of hope for the season of Lent at Trinity led by Pastor Russ on Tuesdays at 1:00pm in the Youth Room.
- “The Passion in Luke” Bible study held in the Trinity Youth Room at 9:30am on Wednesdays and led by Pastor Theresa Mason. We will explore what it says about Jesus, through a careful reading of Luke, and what it says to us as disciples of Jesus. Bring a Bible with you.
- “The Gift of New Creation” Alice Kistler is hosting her 34th annual Lenten study at Riverside Lodge “The Grill” 9:30am on Mondays and is led by Rev. Del Roper. Join them at 9am for coffee and at 9:30am for the lesson. Books are available in the church office or at the study.
Bible Studies and Small Groups:
- First-Faith Adult Sunday School class will meet Sundays at 10:45am. They are studying “When Christians Get It Wrong” by Adam Hamilton, senior pastor of the United Methodist Church of the Resurrection in Leawood, KS.
- The Young Adults at First-Faith UMC will meet Sundays at 10:45 am. They are studying “24 Hours That Changed the World” The study is guided by Lacey Follmer and will meet in Room C.
- Women of Faith will start studying a new book on Mondays at 5:30pm titled “The Girl’s Still Got It: Take a Walk With Ruth and the God Who Rocked Her World.” by Liz Curtis Higgs. Contact Sharon Sorensen with any questions.
- “Disciple Fast Track” Bible study at First-Faith led by Pastor Trudy is held on Tuesdays at 6:45pm.
- “When All Else Fails Read the Instructions” book study by James W. Moore will be held Wednesday afternoons at 1:30pm in the Fireside Room at First Faith.
- ReCharge young adult group is held in the Trinity Church Conference Room from 6:30-8pm on Wednesdays.
- Mom’s Group meets Wednesdays in the parlor at 6:30-7:30 pm at Trinity. All mom’s are welcome to attend. Nursery is available during this time for children too young for Zone.
Youth Activities at UM4GI
- Footprints Youth: Held Sunday evenings from 5:45-7:30pm at First-Faith. Starting with a meal and will continue with worship and fellowship. All youth 6th-12th grades are welcome.
- United Methodist Youth Fellowship: Held on Wednesdays from 6:30-8:00pm at Trinity on the 3rd floor. All youth grades 6th-12th grades are welcome to attend.
- Zone: Held Wednesday evenings from 6:30-7:30pm at Trinity. All youth ages K-5th grade are welcome to attend.
- Sudanese Youth: continues to meet Sundays at Trinity at 1pm in the Gathering Place.
This Week’s Announcements
- Refresh! Free, quality childcare will be available at First-Faith UMC every 2nd and 4th Wednesdays from 9 am – 11:30 am so that moms can run errands or take a break and relax! The next Refresh! will be Wednesday, February 10th. Contact Sharon Sorensen at 382-7543 with any questions.
- Kid’s Night Out! at First-Faith UMC will be held Friday February 12th from 7:00-8:30 pm. Kid’s will enjoy worship time, snacks and games.
- ESL classes are held in the Gathering Place at Trinity on Monday evenings at 7.
Upcoming Events/Announcements and Other Opportunities
- The United Methodist Men of First-Faith UMC are hosting a Valentine’s Banquet on Sunday, February 21st at 6:00 pm. This is a family-friendly evening of food and entertainment at First-Faith UMC. The menu is ham or beef, scalloped potatoes, green beans, and desert. Tickets are $8 a piece. The entertainment is provided by Wheels of Faith, a men’s singing group from Cairo and The UMM Singing group will also perform. You are more than welcome to bring your talents or a dessert to share with everyone.
- Peggy Helms is leading a craft making group every third Tuesday of the month from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm at First-Faith UMC. Bring your own crafts to work on or Peggy will have some projects available. The group is getting a head start on making items for the November craft fair. Come join us for the first session on February 16th.
- Prime Timers! Come share in games and dinner on Tuesday, February 16th at 10:00 am in Trinity’s Miller Hall. The menu is: Ham chowder, corn bread, fruit salad, and Greek spice cake. Please sign up by February 12th in the church offices.
- Mobile giving is coming to First-Faith. Stay tuned for more information in the coming weeks.
- NAMI Support Group meets the 1st and 3rd Fridays of the month from 6:30-7:30pm at the Trinity House.
- UM4GI shirts are available in a variety of sizes and also in polo styles!
- First-Faith UMC needs two male mentors to make the confirmation journey with our boys. Mentor training is Sunday February 21st at 11 am. Please prayerfully consider if God is calling you to help a young person on their faith journey.
- Noah’s Ark Child Care & Preschool is selling Younkers Community Day Booklets for a $5 donation. Community Days will be held from Friday, February 26 to Saturday, February 27. Community Days is a two-day shopping event at Younkers. Noah’s Ark keeps 100% of the booklet price and the customer receives up to $500 in special shopping offers at Younkers. Booklets will be sold in the Gathering Place between services starting January 17 until February 21, 2016 or contact the Noah’s Ark office. Younker’s has generously created this event to enable non-profit 501C3 groups and schools to raise money to support their mission. The goal is to sell a minimum of 100 booklets. The money raised will be used to improve quality of materials for the center and begin to put towards a curriculum for the center.
- Food For Thought Backpacks at Trinity: We have a great opportunity to help those in need right here in our area. We have bags and lists that you can easily take and fill for the families we support at Howard. Pick up a bag and a list, fill it up, and bring it back to the church office. If you would like more information, call Sebrina at 382-1952.
- On the first Sunday of the month it is “Food Pantry Sunday” at First-Faith and Trinity! At First-Faith donations can be placed in the “Food Pantry Grocery Cart” in Fellowship Hall at any time.
- Trinity and First-Faith United Methodist Women are collecting “Box Tops for Education” and Campbell’s Labels. These labels are used to purchase educational items to support Epworth Village in York. These labels can be dropped off in the black box on the lower shelf of the UMW library corner in Trinity‘s parlor or in the green tote in Fellowship Hall at First-Faith UMC. If you are not sure which part of the label to save, drop off the entire label and it will be cut down appropriately. Thank You!
- Noah’s Ark Wish List: Kleenexes! Thank you all for your continued support!
- Prayer Shawls are available at both First-Faith and Trinity to anyone in need. If you would like to become a part of the UM4GI Prayer Shawl ministry, join them in the Trinity UMC Gathering Place on Thursday nights at 6:30pm. (They will even teach you how to make them!) Contact Linda Harris at 227-1286 for more information.